London Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

These problems happen all the time in the amateur game.

Plus, some of it isn't strictly true.  Our coach took training but had to step back from a few matchdays.  He played and coached the London Cup final so he hardly quit mid-season.

I know half a dozen former Storm academy players and none of them thought they were going pro.  I know they wanted to play, you'd have to ask them why that didn't happen for the South London Storm.  I don't profess to speak for others, the one guy who I talked to about it was adamant that the setup at Lanfranc was not conducive to building club unity and was worse than Streatham-Croydon.

To be honest, this sort of awful ###### talking that comes out of TackleMachine is exactly the problem.  We could all come together and bake a really nice cake, instead some are content to scrap over the crumbs and argue who knocked them on the floor.  

Edited by bbfaz, 28 July 2013 - 09:09 PM.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#42 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

There's a rugby league club in Clapham/Chiswick, there's one in Beckenham and, hopefully, there'll soon be one in Croydon again.

All good news, r

#43 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

There's a rugby league club in Clapham/Chiswick, there's one in Beckenham and, hopefully, there'll soon be one in Croydon again.

All good news, right? So why the barbs?

#44 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Ask the guy from the Chargers. I just want to see clubs work together.

#45 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Oh, it's good that S&C are more welcoming now. Last I heard their attitude was "We're rugby union, why should we do anything to help rugby league?" Maybe that South African isn't there any more.

The problem with Storm post 09 was the lack of players. And arrogant juniors not stepping up to play senior footy without a Super League contract. Have you thought about how you will recruit players around there? There's always a lot of talk from the locals about how 'pumped' they are for the season to come and when it does, they don't even show. They spend more time wearing Storm stash in the gym then putting the work in on the pitch.

Storm had good coaches and a decent ground last season, but no players. What would you do differently starting a new club 5 min down the road from Lanfranc?

Have you found a coach? Important to have one that won't quit halfway through the season like the Beckenham one.

The Saffa is still there! He's been a mate of mine for 16 years and is a former Storm player himself! He has no objection to the return of RL to Frant Road. I guess that some of the issues were simply a clash of personalities! 

As for attracting players, i don't believe that there will be a problem. The first First team fixture that Storm pulled on was in July 2011 - in the preceding fourteen years the club fulfilled EVERY fixture. Between 2000 and 2011 the club fielded a Second team that played a minimum of 7/8 games a season, and we even turned out a third team on several occasions in the mid 2000s.

None of that sounds like Storm was a club located in an area that struggled to attract players. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Yep, an experienced coach is a must and a real challenge. But I don't see why you needed to throw in the comment about the Bears. Some bad blood? Lee did a good job and was respected by the players.  

And as bbfaz correctly states, playing at Lanfranc School was not conducive to building (re-building?) a club. Decent pitch and nothing else. From what I saw on matchday all the guys worked hard to make it a success and you can't fault anyone for effort, but munching on a burger whilst huddled under a gazebo in the freezing rain isn't really the future. 

Don't worry, South London 2.0 will do just fine.  Hopefully RL will end up with three vibrant clubs in Bears, Souths and Chargers. Win Win all round. 

Edited by Number 16, 29 July 2013 - 02:46 PM.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#46 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

The Saffa is still there! He's been a mate of mine for 16 years and is a former Storm player himself! He has no objection to the return of RL to Frant Road. I guess that some of the issues were simply a clash of personalities! 

As for attracting players, i don't believe that there will be a problem. The first First team fixture that Storm pulled on was in July 2011 - in the preceding fourteen years the club fulfilled EVERY fixture. Between 2000 and 2011 the club fielded a Second team that played a minimum of 7/8 games a season, and we even turned out a third team on several occasions in the mid 2000s.

None of that sounds like Storm was a club located in an area that struggled to attract players. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Yep, an experienced coach is a must and a real challenge. But I don't see why you needed to throw in the comment about the Bears. Some bad blood? Lee did a good job and was respected by the players.  

And as bbfaz correctly states, playing at Lanfranc School was not conducive to building (re-building?) a club. Decent pitch and nothing else. From what I saw on matchday all the guys worked hard to make it a success and you can't fault anyone for effort, but munching on a burger whilst huddled under a gazebo in the freezing rain isn't really the future. 

Don't worry, South London 2.0 will do just fine.  Hopefully RL will end up with three vibrant clubs in Bears, Souths and Chargers. Win Win all round.

There's life in London yet!
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#47 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

There's life in London yet!

Amen to that. Part of the frustration with the Broncos is that they seem so divorced from the burgeoning grassroots in the south east

#48 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Amen to that. Part of the frustration with the Broncos is that they seem so divorced from the burgeoning grassroots in the south east

According to some the Broncos are the very reason the grass roots are doing so well. Somebody's wrong.

#49 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think the work the London RL do is fairly underrated.  Stuff like London Origin and their development squads are where the Broncos find the bulk of the guys they trial for their youth squads.

#50 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Clubs from south London won three out of the five finals, the Croydon Hurricanes Under-13s kicking off proceedings with a 28-20 victory over Elmbridge Eagles. Each side scored five tries but the Eagles were unable to convert any of their while Dan Johnson’s four conversions for the Hurricanes was to prove the difference.

Croydon dominated the first half rattling up16 points without reply through two tries from Samuel Ajayi and one from Emmanuel Adusi two of which were converted by Johnson.

The Eagles hit back early in the second half with two tries from Alfie Ransom and one from Jordan Billhem to make it 16-12. Ben Collins gave Croydon’s a 10-point advantage with a touchdown which Johnson converted but back came Elmbridge, Chauncey Taylor touching down following a 50-metre run.

Ajayi then completed his hat-trick with a try under the posts to give Johnson a simple conversion which sealed the contest although Elmbridge had the final say when Ransom capped a fine performance by completing his hat-trick.

The Croydon Hurricanes Under-16s wrapped things up with a 34-12 win over Medway Dragons. They raced into a 22-6 lead by half time with tries from James Forey, Jordan Richardson, Yohan Tesfai and Kameron Pearce Paul with Richardson converting three. Medway’s points came from a touchdown and conversion by Tom Josling.

After the break Croydon increased their lead with tries from Isaac Johnson and Tesfai both converted by Richardson Medway finishing on a positive note when Naeem Nunes crossed and Josling converted.

Croydon's U13s and U16s winning titles last weekend.

Need for an OA club?

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#51 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

Croydon's U13s and U16s winning titles last weekend.

Need for an OA club?

Perhaps you should speak to the Hurricanes about launching an open age side at Frant Road.

#52 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

It's not just the Hurricanes though, Pottsy.  Brixton and Croydon, along with the defunct Thornton Heath Tornadoes, Addington Lightning and Wandsworth Whirlwinds were feeder clubs for the Academy and men's open age setup.  Problem is, it takes money to run those sorts of teams, just as it takes money to run an RL academy out of a school.  We need to find a way around these problems so that we can keep kids involved.

If there's a model in the world of sport, it would have to be IF Brommapojkarna in Swedish football, who are from Bromma in Western Stockholm.  By terms of the most teams, the Boys from Bromma are the biggest football club in the world with 247 teams.  These teams are run by volunteers as a hierarchical network where the best filter up the age groups and levels.  They have very little money, their entire squad is local Swedish lads and I think their secret is the answer to all our problems in London.

#53 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Those cluster clubs mainly came about long after I left Storm and I did always wonder whether the club was spreading itself a little thinly, knowing the number of volunteers it takes to run one team, let alone multiple 'clubs.'

#54 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thornton Heath Tornados, Wandsworth Wirlwinds, & Addington Lightning wouldn't have played 5 games between them.

Croydon has always been the main South London Community junior club and Brixton it's second cousin - both very solid clubs though and Croydons success has been long and fruitful. It was great to see Brixton get their first title this year also.

The problem for both of these clubs is that after under 16's the players drift away - even in Storms hey day the conversion was poor.

I have always thought that either Croydon should have been called Storm or Storm been called Croydon - most of the kids didn't even know what Storm was.

When you look at Medway & Elmbridge arguably the two most successful junior clubs with senior teams - they might just be onto something?

#55 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Perhaps the answer is to develop senior sides at Croydon and Brixton.

#56 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

There's always going to be drop off post-16. Kids want money, they work evenings and weekends and go out with friends. No matter what the sport, it's the age where you have to start taking things seriously and choose it over numerous other distractions. Add in kids going away to university, this is why so many players have a gap from 16-22.

Is the answer open age teams at Brixton and Croydon? I don't think so. The amount of players needed to continually feed an open age setup is enormous. I've said before, there needs to be a junior side in Sutton/Carshalton for starters. What's needed is a junior club at the open age club with excellent links to the cluster clubs so the kids at those clubs feel part of it.

#57 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

I honestly don't think 'cluster clubs' work. Nice idea and all that but absolutely no evidence to suggest these kids (other than the small minority who get picked up by pro clubs) male the transition to open age rugby at the 'parent club' or anywhere else.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would a kid who'd been dragged down to Brixton Bulls really feel any natural affiliation with South London Storm?

The clubs in London would be better off looking at works for rugby clubs in London and elsewhere in the country rather than over stretching themselves on schemes with no real precedent of success.

#58 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Multiple teams at the same age group? That's the only way I can see RU club in our area doing it.

#59 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Multiple teams at the same age group? That's the only way I can see RU club in our area doing it.

Teams not clubs. There's a big difference.

If a kid plays U8s at Stanningley, it doesn't matter whether it's Stannngley Red or Stanningley Blue, he knows he's a Stanningley kid and is more likely to develop a lifelong affinity with that club.

#60 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Couldn't agree more Pottsy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users