Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Well, Elmbridge have primacy of tenancy as do most of the teams in the north.  To do it properly, you need more pitches, you need control over the facility and I would think you'd need an all-weather pitch.  Discounting minis and primary rugby, just concentrating on two teams per age group from 12s to 16s and having two open age sides and a 19s squad, I think this would cost well into six figures for us to do it properly whilst being a tenant.  I think we'd have to go over two or more sites also.  That's the thinking which means you end up with cluster clubs rather than doing it all on one site.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#62 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Well, Elmbridge have primacy of tenancy as do most of the teams in the north. To do it properly, you need more pitches, you need control over the facility and I would think you'd need an all-weather pitch. Discounting minis and primary rugby, just concentrating on two teams per age group from 12s to 16s and having two open age sides and a 19s squad, I think this would cost well into six figures for us to do it properly whilst being a tenant. I think we'd have to go over two or more sites also. That's the thinking which means you end up with cluster clubs rather than doing it all on one site.

Serious question - How would splitting it over a number of sites save you money? It must be easier to hire one venue for 3 hours than 3 venues for 1hour each?

Six Figures? :-o WOW - I bet Hemel and Skolars budgets are not even that. They both run two senior teams, Skolars have an academy and they have junior teams.

#63 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

I'm a bit confused here. You alluded to the fact that Storm's cluster clubs didn't deliver any players to the open age but then suggest that you think that's the best approach.

#64 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

If you were talking to me, I have no such opinion.  I'm saying probably the only way we could do it under our current parameters is to go the cluster club route because the costs of doing a full junior section would be prohibitive at our current ground and there isn't the capacity due to other sports.

Our RU near-neighbours have four pitches with motorised floodlights and a £1m clubhouse.  They have multi-generational support amongst the community and four or five key sponsors/backers.  As a result, they have teams from under-7s to Vets, including five senior sides, as well as a ladies team and three girls teams.  They're not even one of the top sides in London, they're just one of the better local amateur clubs.

When you look at the RL clubs inside the M25, there's only two clubs who have their own clubhouse; Elmbridge and B&D.  Beckenham, Thames Ditton and Greenwich (before they folded) rented privately from multi-sport clubs.  Skolars rent off the council, Brixton and Croydon have tenuous partnerships with schools, Mudchute don't even have a home ground.  The rest (Richmond, Staines, Chargers, Hammersmith, Newham and Charlton) are based at their local RU clubs and will be joined in 2014 by Enfield and South London.

You can't put two teams out per age group out on rented pitches, there's too much in the way of liabilities.  A lot of the time, clubs aren't in areas where parents have a lot of money so it can be a real struggle.   Clubs cannot reinvest monies taken in the clubhouse back into the club because that is what keeps your landlord happy.

#65 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

For those who missed the news:

London Premier champs: SWL Chargers (20-10 over the Hammersmith Hills Hoists)

SE Regional League champs: Portsmouth Navy Seahawks (27-22 over Medway Dragons)

Entry League champs: Newham Dockers (10-6 over SWL Chargers A)

Congrats especially to the Dockers who have had a hell of a turnaround.  Very organised, got better across the season and broke up a potential Chargers sweep.  Looking forward to next season.

#66 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Paging bulldog_paddy... what's happened at the Kennel?  The B&D Bulldogs have announced an EGM at the end of the month to vote on dissolving the club.  What's going on?

#67 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Paging bulldog_paddy... what's happened at the Kennel? The B&D Bulldogs have announced an EGM at the end of the month to vote on dissolving the club. What's going on?

bbfaz - did you find out what happened here?

#68 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Got a reply from whomever runs their Twitter account, they're struggling for volunteers.  Not sure if this is coaching - they ran under-19s as well as seniors least season - or just general administration but they're seriously considering calling it a day at the end of the month.

#69 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Shame - every club always seems to come down to 2 or 3 people.

#70 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Speaking of next year... South London (Sto...?) will be back. We wanted it to happen this year, but this summer has seen the first stage of the £1m redevelopment of Streatham-Croydon RFC - our home of old, including new stand, showers, sheds, car park, perimeter fencing, floodlights and terracing. Next stage is a complete refurb of the clubhouse.  

There'll be a South London re-launch meeting in September. So until then... watch this space.

Keep us informed please Number 16.  Could there be the old South London and (South)West London back in London Prem next season ?

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site