England's first World Cup game in Wales

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Firstly apologies this is negative (and dated) but why oh why are England playing their first and arguably their biggest World Cup game in Wales? Surely this match could've got a full house in an English RL stadium but will be half empty in Cardiff?

#2 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Firstly apologies this is negative (and dated) but why oh why are England playing their first and arguably their biggest World Cup game in Wales? Surely this match could've got a full house in an English RL stadium but will be half empty in Cardiff?

For starters:

1. Cardiff has a roof so will offset any weather issues like in 2000.

2. Wales are also a host nation and playing at the same location.

3. Cities bidded to host games and Cardiff probably produced the best portfolio.

4. The RLWC authorities are confident it'll be more than half full. Looking at ticket sales so far via the website, arguably, it already is.

5. It won't be our biggest game; that'll be the final at Old Trafford when we beat the Aussies again! ;)

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

On top of that, if England do as per the seeding, they will play their games at:

Cardiff, Huddersfield, Hull, Wigan, Wembley, Old Trafford.

That seems a pretty sensible arrangement to me.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

I can't wait for the opener in Cardiff. Awesome stadium in an awesome city. Its going to be awesome.

Posted Image

#5 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'm glad everyone else seems so positive. It just seems a missed opportunity to sellout a big English stadium in a year where there's huge rivalry between England & Australia. Theres a fair chance this will be our only game against them in the tournament and we're playig it in Wales. Anyway maybe the semi final double header at wembley will be that moment to make a great statement for RL.

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

^ Because we can only make great statements in England. It can't happen in Wales.

#7 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Don't forget your passports and your Welsh currency? And learn how to pronounce those double dd's and double ll's. It's all so important when you go to foreign climates. Phrasebooks are available, the people are more friendly and you can buy cawl in Wetherspoons (our national pub). Butty means friend. Tidy means good. Jack is a person from Swansea. You should wing the rest.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#8 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Actually, England could be playing two matches in Wales. In the quarter finals the winners of England's group play at the Racecourse Ground, Wrexham and the runners-up at the DW Stadium, Wigan. Given that the group will almost certainly be decided by the first game at Cardiff, if we beat Australia we're at Wrexham - which would seem to indicate that the organisers expect us to lose!

#9 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

It is the best large stadium to hold a game no English RL stadium even comes close, and already has a notable RL tradition. Even if it is half full it will still be a great event for the vast majority of people attending.

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

I would have liked to have seen the opening game of the World Cup at Wembley, as it was in 1995 (by a country mile the best World Cup tournament Rugby League has seen to date), and I would have played the final there too, rather than the semis. But that debate has passed.

I can understand why the organisers chose Cardiff, here are three good reasons:-

1. It has a roof

2. It has a roof

3. It has a roof

Given that we can't bank on unseasonably pleasant weather like we were blessed with in 1995, and the likelihood is that the weather will be miserably cold and wet, Cardiff provides all the insurance needed that the opening ceremony won't be a wash out and that the two games on the bill will be played out in good conditions. Those are major considerations if the tournament is going to get off to a flying start.

I think it is up to us all now, as Rugby League fans, to put aside whatever quibbles we may have about particular venue choices and throw all our support behind the World Cup as it is, and that means buying tickets for Cardiff in huge numbers and evangelising about it to everyone you meet to try and persuade them to go as well.

Let's not settle for Cardiff being half-full as some kind of achievement and hope the outside world notices. Let's fill it and demand to be noticed!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Actually, England could be playing two matches in Wales. In the quarter finals the winners of England's group play at the Racecourse Ground, Wrexham and the runners-up at the DW Stadium, Wigan. Given that the group will almost certainly be decided by the first game at Cardiff, if we beat Australia we're at Wrexham - which would seem to indicate that the organisers expect us to lose!

Yes - I genuinely believe they have messed this one up. I'd have preferred an approach to the 2008 WC which said that if the Aussies made the semis they would play in Sydney.

Dependent on results, we could see:

Australia v France at Wigan

England v Cook Islands at Wrexham

#12 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Don't forget your passports and your Welsh currency? And learn how to pronounce those double dd's and double ll's. It's all so important when you go to foreign climates. Phrasebooks are available, the people are more friendly and you can buy cawl in Wetherspoons (our national pub). Butty means friend. Tidy means good. Jack is a person from Swansea. You should wing the rest.

And rugby means 30 blokes having a big cuddle and then kicking at goal.

People called Romans they go the house

#13 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Cardiff is convenient for some of us RL fans based in the South...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#14 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

If everyone who says that Cardiff will be 'half empty' buys a ticket and goes to the games it may not actually be half empty come kick off...

#15 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Dependent on results, we could see:

Australia v France at Wigan

England v Cook Islands at Wrexham

Does everyone admit that this is bizarre for us to be playing our semi-final in Wales? No wonder we're not taken seriously as a sport. In Football Euro 2012, when Poland & Ukraine share-hosted the tournament, they didn't play one game outside of their country.

On a positive note it's good to see France playing 2 out of their 3 games in France. Also Ireland playing Australia in Limerick. Not sure why Scotland didn't follow suit.

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Does everyone admit that this is bizarre for us to be playing our semi-final in Wales? No wonder we're not taken seriously as a sport.

Want to know why we aren't taken seriously as a sport? Because we have far too many outraged fans who love to bleat 'No wonder we aren't taken seriously as a sport' for every tiny little thing that they don't completely agree with, when in reality the thing they are moaning about isn't even on a radar to anybody outside the game. Thats why we aren't taken seriously as a sport.

Posted Image

#17 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Does everyone admit that this is bizarre for us to be playing our semi-final in Wales? No wonder we're not taken seriously as a sport. In Football Euro 2012, when Poland & Ukraine share-hosted the tournament, they didn't play one game outside of their country.

On a positive note it's good to see France playing 2 out of their 3 games in France. Also Ireland playing Australia in Limerick. Not sure why Scotland didn't follow suit.

Want to know why we aren't taken seriously as a sport? Because we have far too many outraged fans who love to bleat 'No wonder we aren't taken seriously as a sport' for every tiny little thing that they don't completely agree with, when in reality the thing they are moaning about isn't even on a radar to anybody outside the game. Thats why we aren't taken seriously as a sport.

21465838.jpg

It's time to park the camels.

#18 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm just trying to sort out travel arrangements for Cardiff now. There is quite a bit of interest from my mates, particularly because we've spent weekends in Cardiff and as Gav says, Cardiff is awesome.

Also, I've been checking out flights for Ireland v Australia in Limerick. As soon as that was announced I immediately fancied it. Hopefully we'll be joining up with a party of Aussies including Rovers legend Gavin Miller, which would be good.

Here's hoping...!!

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Does everyone admit that this is bizarre for us to be playing our semi-final in Wales?

We aren't; the semi-finals are both at Wembley. I hope the English lads aren't as complacent as people on this board; both Ireland and especially Fiji won't be pushovers.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Firstly apologies this is negative (and dated)

Yes, you're right. Now can we lock this thread please?

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users