Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Walton announces hes signed for Salford

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Definitely signed for Salford. He posted it on Twitter tonight.

No great loss IMO. Hope he learns to pass to his winger in a full time environment.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

Sorry BTJ he may have his flaws but he is a decent player and won't be that easy to replace. I wish him the best of luck at Salford I have enjoyed watching him improve at the mount and hope he can finish his time with us on a high note.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Always given 100% in a Batley shirt. Puzzled as to where they're going to use him though - not big enough for a top flight forward and not fast enough for a centre at the highest level. I guess he'll make a decent squad player for them, though. Good luck to him.

Posted Image

#4 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

Dont get me wrong, ive enjoyed some of his hits over the years, the one on Craig Gower against London will live long in the memory, for me though hes more of a forward than a centre as his lack of passing lets his game down.

I hope we can go out and get some out and out centres for next year.

Good luck to him though.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#5 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Well it will show any good up and coming young player that Batley is a club where you can fulfil your ambition of playing in SL if you are good enough. How many is that who have left us for SL now? I bet there aren't many clubs who can rival us.

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Well it will show any good up and coming young player that Batley is a club where you can fulfil your ambition of playing in SL if you are good enough. How many is that who have left us for SL now? I bet there aren't many clubs who can rival us.

Imagine if we still lived in the pre-Bosman world. We'd be worth a bloody fortune. In terms of player rights, the Bosman legislation has done great things, but it's removed a valuable source of income for lower league clubs. I guess that contracted players under 23 (?) can still command a transfer fee, but precedent indicates that the tribunal system doesn't really seem to support the smaller, selling club.

Posted Image

#7 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Sorry he going but not a great loss comes out the defensive line leaving is winger two on one . Also never releases his winger in to space. Also come on it was is desion making at home to fev that cost us the match . Good luck in super league anyway

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Sorry he going but not a great loss comes out the defensive line leaving is winger two on one . Also never releases his winger in to space. Also come on it was is desion making at home to fev that cost us the match . Good luck in super league anyway

I don't think it's rational to pinpoint one single incident as being indicative of 'why we won't miss him'. He's given us plenty of great moments during his time with us, despite some obvious flaws to his game. However, if it wasn't for those flaws, he wouldn't have been with us in the first place. It'll be difficult for us to find a replacement who's as hard-running and committed as him. In terms of a replacement, I can think of anyone off the top of my head who would provide the 'service' to his wingman that people are quoting. There's a real dearth of quality centres at this level, and many are now simply second-rowers with an extra yard of pace. I like the look of Danny Lawton at Keighley, and Jake Normington from East Leeds would make a terrific addition to our squad - if he could be convinced to return to the professional game.

Posted Image

#9 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Didn't Walton come to you from Salford in the first place ? Think Brown, Johnson, Moore and even Walmsley were on SL books before they went to Batley. I can't honestly remember the last player from the HW, who went to SL without having been at least a SL academy player first. It is good to know though, that the SL have at last recognised the value of letting players develop through the lower tier. 

#10 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Mark cunningham ? Was on trial with us b4going back to hunslet warriors i believe . Be worth seeing if he is intrested for a nother go at our level maybe?

#11 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Didn't Walton come to you from Salford in the first place ? Think Brown, Johnson, Moore and even Walmsley were on SL books before they went to Batley. I can't honestly remember the last player from the HW, who went to SL without having been at least a SL academy player first. It is good to know though, that the SL have at last recognised the value of letting players develop through the lower tier. 

Walmsley wasn't.  Moore was a youth at Leeds but didn't play first team.  Your right on the others though!

SIGNATURE

#12 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Not saying they hadn't been on SL books GOR. What I meant was that it isn't the end of the line to come to Batley as it has now been shown time and again that you can develop your game there and then make the step up again.

#13 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Wally has been a great player for us and his 2010 debut boxing day at tetleys stadium knee deep in snow was sure to win hearts amongst the Batley faithful.

Ok flying out of the line is always a gamble and wont be tolerated in SL but for entertainamnent value, aggression and presence I for one will miss him

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Walmsley wasn't.  Moore was a youth at Leeds but didn't play first team.  Your right on the others though!

Stand corrected - was it his brother that was on wakeys books then ?

#15 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Stand corrected - was it his brother that was on wakeys books then ?

Yes GOR,he went back to Celtic I believe, then we signed him last year.
"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#16 M.S

M.S
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Walton has been a very good player for us and wish him all the best for the future,maybe not the fastest or game aware centre, but always gave his best ,atb , scotty

Edited by M.S, 09 July 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Imagine if we still lived in the pre-Bosman world. We'd be worth a bloody fortune. In terms of player rights, the Bosman legislation has done great things, but it's removed a valuable source of income for lower league clubs. I guess that contracted players under 23 (?) can still command a transfer fee, but precedent indicates that the tribunal system doesn't really seem to support the smaller, selling club.

Sort of, if you only count the ones going out. If you consider what the ones that you recruited from other clubs might have cost you wouldn't actually be as wealthy as you might imagine. After all none of the lesser clubs, pre-Bosman, were ever renowned for having become wealthy on transfer income, were they.

Nice thought though.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Mark cunningham ? Was on trial with us b4going back to hunslet warriors i believe . Be worth seeing if he is intrested for a nother go at our level maybe?

Ha, ha, that made my day, Cunny is just about half decent going forward but cant tackle for..................................Toffee

#19 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Well I think Walton has been one of our best players over recent years and I hope he does well in SL. He IS a big loss to us. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

#20 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Ha, ha, that made my day, Cunny is just about half decent going forward but cant tackle for..................................Toffee

Plus the shouts of "cunny" from the terraces would go down well with the p.c brigade.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users