Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dying game?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

From a quick check I reckon the total attendance in the 9 championship and championship 1 games on Sunday was just over 8000.  Two clubs Fev and Fax accounted for over half of that total.  How on earth is this sustainable?

#2 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

From a quick check I reckon the total attendance in the 9 championship and championship 1 games on Sunday was just over 8000.  Two clubs Fev and Fax accounted for over half of that total.  How on earth is this sustainable?

Fully agree on this, how can a clubs in our league survive especially with the way the fixtures are, and the travelling expenditure alone must be a killer on the revenue coming in.

#3 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Fully agree on this, how can a clubs in our league survive especially with the way the fixtures are, and the travelling expenditure alone must be a killer on the revenue coming in.

Agree with the overall concerns. However, travel is subsidised by the RFL for this development league. Therefore, it has no impact on revenue directly - although crowds of 100-400 clearly do.

#4 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Travel costs may well apply to the 'new' clubs but it certainly doesn't to the established clubs like Oldham.

It also appears from attending all the away games this season, that there are a few other rules which don't seem to apply to 'developing' clubs. Examples of these are no stewards, no turnstiles, no fencing off of the playing area and as was the case at Oxford, no area for the players to eat after the match with 'a burger, chips and gravy' (without even a fork to eat it with!) from the match day catering cabin being considered 'good enough' post-match food for them. Very professional! 

#5 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Travel costs may well apply to the 'new' clubs but it certainly doesn't to the established clubs like Oldham.

It also appears from attending all the away games this season, that there are a few other rules which don't seem to apply to 'developing' clubs. Examples of these are no stewards, no turnstiles, no fencing off of the playing area and as was the case at Oxford, no area for the players to eat after the match with 'a burger, chips and gravy' (without even a fork to eat it with!) from the match day catering cabin being considered 'good enough' post-match food for them. Very professional! 

Not only does it not apply to the established clubs but the way the fixtures are organised is detrimental to them as well, one home game then two away.

I know CH as his knockers but how do you keep the club alive with no income stream, especially paying winning pay as well every week???

#6 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

It also appears from attending all the away games this season, that there are a few other rules which don't seem to apply to 'developing' clubs. Examples of these are no stewards, no turnstiles, no fencing off of the playing area and as was the case at Oxford, no area for the players to eat after the match with 'a burger, chips and gravy' (without even a fork to eat it with!) from the match day catering cabin being considered 'good enough' post-match food for them. Very professional!

According to the RFL, ALL CH1 clubs receive £70k plus travel subsidy or has someone been telling porkies?!

Edited by sheddings69, 09 July 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#7 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

If I am incorrect with my fact about the transport costs that is a misunderstanding on my part and I hold my hand up. I have no wish to 'score points' just to agree with 'Higgy' about how hard it must be to keep the club alive with all the costs involved on a very low budget and such low crowds. Surely you can't disagree with that!

#8 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

If I am incorrect with my fact about the transport costs that is a misunderstanding on my part and I hold my hand up. I have no wish to 'score points' just to agree with 'Higgy' about how hard it must be to keep the club alive with all the costs involved on a very low budget and such low crowds. Surely you can't disagree with that!

Exactly what I said on my original post

#9 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

According to the RFL, ALL CH1 clubs receive £70k plus travel subsidy or has someone been telling porkies?!

If you are right with this and you probably are, its even more of a joke. .

How can you possibly run a club on 70k without substantial outside backing which we have not got, and also this makes a mockery of comments of CH knockers that he is taking a 50k salary from the club???

#10 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

If you are right with this and you probably are, its even more of a joke. .

How can you possibly run a club on 70k without substantial outside backing which we have not got, and also this makes a mockery of comments of CH knockers that he is taking a 50k salary from the club???

As I understand it the funding was £100k until the Sports England money was slashed. Clubs can spend the cash however they see fit.

#11 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

That last is a bit rubbish and needs sorting, other than that we're getting there though, slowly.

It was good to meet so many of you in the Fir Tree after the game, we're in our infancy down here, but we've got a good ground and aren't hopeless on it.

I know you're all pushing for promotion, but if you're still in C1 next season, come again, and see if we've made progress. Hopefully it's not the worst place you've been all season....

#12 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

That last is a bit rubbish and needs sorting, other than that we're getting there though, slowly.

It was good to meet so many of you in the Fir Tree after the game, we're in our infancy down here, but we've got a good ground and aren't hopeless on it.

I know you're all pushing for promotion, but if you're still in C1 next season, come again, and see if we've made progress. Hopefully it's not the worst place you've been all season....

Well Well I don't know if to laugh or cry.Money doesn't seem to be a problem for Oxford???

Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

#13 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Crowds down because Cru weren't playing!!!  We manage to get bigger attendances than all other CH1 fixtures added together and add significant numbers to all clubs when we play away . People seem to like watching a winning team.

#14 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

Not many discussing the question of attendances and the question:-is the game dying?  I have no doubt that Crusaders would have had the biggest attendance in Championship 1 if they had been playing but the 8000 total includes 2 of the best 3 supported clubs both playing at home.  Interestingly they play each other this week Thurs night.  I reckon that the aggregate attendance for the 8 matches in Champ and Champ1 this Sunday will probably be below 4000.  How can it be sustainable?

#15 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

If you are right with this and you probably are, its even more of a joke. .

How can you possibly run a club on 70k without substantial outside backing which we have not got, and also this makes a mockery of comments of CH knockers that he is taking a 50k salary from the club???

Don't the chief executives of each club get there salary from the RFL and not their own clubs if so that explains where CH gets paid from and as you say Higgy not from the club and its £70k if that is what the clubs revenue is.

#16 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Don't the chief executives of each club get there salary from the RFL and not their own clubs if so that explains where CH gets paid from and as you say Higgy not from the club and its £70k if that is what the clubs revenue is.

Nope. It was out of the £100k (now £70k). That's the only payment from the RFL excepting the travel subsidy this season.

#17 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

RFL pay for chief exec, I think it is 45k if you don't have a chief exec you don't receive the money,

#18 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

RFL pay for chief exec, I think it is 45k if you don't have a chief exec you don't receive the money,

One of the conditions of getting the £70k is having a Chief Exec - there is no additional payment

#19 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

To get back on track. The question asked was is the game dying. I think the most simple answer is yes. The greed of teams at the top table, by not allowing promotion and relegation has killed off all interest at the levels below SL. The once prestige Challenge Cup has become a farce, where interest is not aroused until the semi final stage, if at all.

Now after the horse has bolted the RFL are trying to address the issue by changing the format of SL. But this change needs the SL clubs to vote for it. We need the RFL to take a Draconian approach to all these matters and stop the tail from wagging the dog. I already think it may be too late. 

#20 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

To get back on track. The question asked was is the game dying. I think the most simple answer is yes. The greed of teams at the top table, by not allowing promotion and relegation has killed off all interest at the levels below SL. The once prestige Challenge Cup has become a farce, where interest is not aroused until the semi final stage, if at all.
Now after the horse has bolted the RFL are trying to address the issue by changing the format of SL. But this change needs the SL clubs to vote for it. We need the RFL to take a Draconian approach to all these matters and stop the tail from wagging the dog. I already think it may be too late.

Looks like they did last night SC! Lets hope it's not too late to being the poorly patient back from death's door!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users