Dying game?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Halifax v Fev just got past 2000 tonight.  Two top teams in the Championship and on a really good evening weather wise sums it up really.

#22 clifford

clifford
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

IMHO there is little interest after the top 8 in super league,

Interest will be raised next year when 2 clubs are cut, and yes the game is dying top players leaving to go down under

I also think there are problems within the amateur game as well, when teams turn up with bearly enough players and that happens in the national leagues

#23 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

The problem is simple.

Rugby league is a winter game not a summer game. Revert back to playing in the months September to May as before.

Summer rugby has slowly destroyed the pro game now the amateur game is going the same way.

#24 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Absolutely agree Harry. Far too many distractions at this time of year. It seems to me that what was said in last nights Chron proved the point you make that summer rugby is now eating into the amateur game and when that folds there will be no players coming through the ranks, so we will end up watching overseas players and very little home grown talent.

I think the game is dying and have said so for a long time, and it really makes me sad, but even more it makes me mad that the people who run the game just will not listen to any advice, and when they finally do listen, if ever, it will be too late. But then will they have lined their own pockets quite nicely thank you and won't give a monkeys that we, the real rugby league people, have lost our once great sport.

You know, what would be really good would be if the RL commissioned a survey among fans at matches and online where possible to see what we want and then to act on the results. but of course that won't happen either.

The problem is simple.

Rugby league is a winter game not a summer game. Revert back to playing in the months September to May as before.

Summer rugby has slowly destroyed the pro game now the amateur game is going the same way.

Edited by Ex-scrumhalf, 12 July 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#25 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

I agree that the switch to summer has been detrimental as far as I am concerned.  I have many other options from holidays to training for my own sport.  Not quite sure that a survey would be too helpful though as I am sure most fans of the current SL clubs are way too insular to think about the wider good of the game and they outnumber us many times over.

#26 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

That's a good point Steve and you are probably right. I wish i had some answers but fear that unless someone with far more know how than me comes along quickly it will be too late, if it isn't already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users