TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

STATE OF ORIGIN - THE DECIDER - NSW vs QLD - Wed 17 July

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

NSW Blues

1. Josh Dugan
2. Brett Morris
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
19. James McManus
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen ©
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Luke Lewis
13. Greg Bird

14. Andrew Fifita
15. Trent Merrin
16. Josh Reynolds
17. Anthony Watmough

18. Aaron woods
20. Boyd Cordner

Jarryd Hayne was initially named on the wing, but has since been ruled out with ongoing injury.

Woods and Cordner are on
standby to cover injury concerns for Gallen and Bird respectively.

QLD Maroons

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Nate Myles
11. Chris McQueen
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Daly Cherry-Evans
15. Ben Te'o
16. Matt Gillet
17. Josh Papalii

18. Jacob Lillyman
19. Will Chambers

Edited by CGD, 09 July 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Qld should win this.

#3 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

Tamou's return should help NSW up front but Hayne's absence could be significant.

Hard to see past a Queensland win. Hopefully it will prove better than the last game which seemed to lack something.

Edited by MrFussy, 09 July 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#4 Toddye13

Toddye13
  • Facebook
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Ben Teo in the QLD is a disgrace and also having Duggan in the side for NSW.

Both do not deserve to be playing SOO.

#5 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

is this game on premier? I just looked and it is not coming up on the planner. can anyone confirm it is please. I do not understand hy it is not showing

#6 7723

• Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I hope NSW win. Unlikely though.

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,454 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

is this game on premier? I just looked and it is not coming up on the planner. can anyone confirm it is please. I do not understand hy it is not showing

Were you looking at the 10th or the 17th?

It's there from 9.30am on the 17th.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

I can only see a QLD win. Hayne's loss is a huge blow and QLD are just so much stronger in the halves. Gallen's loss could be a blessing in disguise as he's still approaching pariah status after Game 1 and might free them up from some tension, but despite NSW's slight edge in the forwards with or without him I don't see it being enough. Fifita is a great player but a big game headcase waiting to happen. I could easily see him walking personally, just don't like his temperament at all. Only chance for NSW is a massive game from Farah and while I see him having a good one I don't think he can make up for their other creative deficiencies.

QLD by 8 for me. But really can't wait for this.

#9 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Worried about our lack of decent kicking. We've really been relying on Farah, but he can't match Smith, Thurston and Cronk on his own. Pearce and Maloney need to have the game of their lives.

Mammoth QLD possession to start the game won't happen again. We'll see a closer game at the very least. Surely nobody will be stupid enough to punch on, but I thought that going into last game as well. Last game was the worst Origin game I can remember.

I found it astounding when Lewis said during the week that the intensity in training leading into Game II wasn't there. After 7 years, with the series there for the taking, how the hell does that happen?

Hayne is a huge blow.

I'll be in Macau when this is on. Freaking out a bit that I won't find somewhere showing it. Even if I have to ferry it back to Hong Kong, I will. Not missing the Blues finally taking back Origin.

#10 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Is it ever! They've gone to town on the build-up already, and rightly so. :) 

#11 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Were you looking at the 10th or the 17th?

It's there from 9.30am on the 17th.

cheers, I was looking at wrong day , thought it was tomorrow! doh!

#12 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've got a feeling the Blues will finally win a series.  To do so Maloney and Pearce will have to kick Queensland to death but I think Maloney can take control in this game.  

I'm surprised Daley has gone with McManus on the wing.  Jorge Taufua at Manly seems perfectly suited for Origin to me and is in great form.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#13 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ben Teo in the QLD is a disgrace and also having Duggan in the side for NSW.

Both do not deserve to be playing SOO.

Te'o has not been charged with anything.  What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Likewise with Duggan, he's an easily lead idiot, but as far as I know he hasn't done anything illegal.

If you had have said Tamou on the other hand I would probably agree.  His penalty for endangering the lives of his friends, the public and himself whilst 4 times over the drink/drive limit was a one match suspension, pretty light IMO.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

#14 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

In fairness to Pearce and Maloney that comment regarding both having to have the game of their lives is a bit much, doing what they did in the first game of the series would be very sufficient I believe.

The poor side of NSW in Brisbane was the pack who never seemed to get going at all, following the dominance they showed in Sydney and the platform that was laid for the halves, was I think, the aspect of the second match that made it seem so poor.
I to would also have to say that it was the poorest I have seen, but to lay the seeds of that bad showing on the halves is very unfair, halves behind a beaten pack..........etc and the NSW pack was much more than simply beaten in Brisbane.

#15 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

My comment about Maloney and Pearce needing to have the games of there lives was based on their showing in Game 1.  I agree they were on the back foot all night in Game 2 and I take little notice of that particular showing.

Given an equal share of ball in Game 3, I still think they will have to step up another gear as Cronk and especially Thurston are unlikely to be as quiet as they were in Sydney.

#16 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

Absolutely. QLD were poor in Game I, yet they still threatened to take the win towards the end of the game. For all of NSW's forward dominance, it was still a close game.

Farah needs a lot more help from the halves than he's had in the last 5 games. On performance shown so far, QLD only need to achieve parity in the forwards, and they will dominate territory with their superior kicking. With a freak like Hayne no longer there to pull rabbits out of hats in the back line like he has so often in the past, all this is even more true.

Edited by CGD, 10 July 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

Absolutely. QLD were poor in Game I, yet they still threatened to take the win towards the end of the game. For all of NSW's forward dominance, it was still a close game.

Farah needs a lot more help from the halves than he's had in the last 5 games. On performance shown so far, QLD only need to achieve parity in the forwards, and they will dominate territory with their superior kicking. With a freak like Hayne no longer there to pull rabbits out of hats in the back line like he has so often in the past, all this is even more true.

That is pretty well spot on.

NSW have struggled for top quality Halfbacks for years.

The best Halves decide games more often than not its that simple.

Edited by AndyCapp, 10 July 2013 - 02:27 AM.

#18 Toddye13

Toddye13
  • Facebook
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Te'o has not been charged with anything.  What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Likewise with Duggan, he's an easily lead idiot, but as far as I know he hasn't done anything illegal.

If you had have said Tamou on the other hand I would probably agree.  His penalty for endangering the lives of his friends, the public and himself whilst 4 times over the drink/drive limit was a one match suspension, pretty light IMO.

Forgot to mention Tamou also :) Sorry but I dont agree anyone that hits a woman is a dog in my opinion just the same that Robert Lui should not be playing NRL anymore either (and I am a Wests Tigers fan) and same goes with Bird. Duggan is an idiot as you mentioned and I would of pumped for Mini myself....just sends the wrong message out selecting players that have done wrong. All are good players but esp in Duggans case and Tamou they should of missed this years series and I am a New South Welshman

#19 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Paul Gallen did not pass the fitness today and has been ruled out of Game III. He will be directly replaced in the starting front row by Aaron Woods.

Josh Reynolds will lose his place on the bench for Boyd Cordner to make his Origin debut. Congratulations, Boyd.

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

NSW will be lucky to stay in the game by half time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users