Jean Garside

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

I understand & it's with great sadness, Hornets to the core Jean Garside had passed away. Mother of Brett & as Hornets as your ever gonna get.

My thoughts are with the Family. I hope the club do all they can to celebrate Jeans life
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#2 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

I can only echo Phil's comment, Jean was a stalwart at Hornets who will be sadly missed.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#3 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Condolences to all of Jeans family on this sad occasion. She supported and worked for Hornets for many years. RIP

#4 Hornets Nest

Hornets Nest
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Deepest sympathies to all of the family. Jean was indeed a Hornets stalwart in every sense of the word.

She ruled the old “tea room” at the Athletic Grounds with strict rules and if anyone dared to step over the line they knew about it.

She never did give away her secret of how she did the raw onions in a bowl with vinegar.

She was also the best sock darner in the Rugby League.

I once remember Hornets buying a brand new white kit with “Braces” night club on the front. After playing away at Leigh Billy King decided that he would wash it without first getting Jean’s permission. A couple of hours later Jean opened the washer door and pulled out a set of pink shirts – Billy had washed them on a boil wash. She chased Billy all-round the ground finally finding him in the Railway side tea bar. The “A” team played in pink shirts for the remainder of the season.

Jean made decades of club Directors welcome at the Athletic Grounds and was the reason why Hornets were renowned for friendliness and excellent hospitality. She would also be seen doing all manner of other tasks around the Ground – she was a grafter for sure.

It was always good to catch up with Jean for a brew or catch up to talk about the “old days” on Yorkshire Street, she never did get round to picking her all-time best Hornets Team. I definitely know that there was four that would be a “shoe in” – Frank Myler, Alan Hodkinson, John Woods and Kevin Ashcroft.

God bless Jean - I know a few up there that will be glad to see you for a good cuppa.

RIP

#5 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Nice Words Mr Reynolds , I know she was Loved by the 'Fijian Community, in Rochdale . RIP Jean Garside 

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

#6 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Deepest sympathies to all of the family. Jean was indeed a Hornets stalwart in every sense of the word.

She ruled the old “tea room” at the Athletic Grounds with strict rules and if anyone dared to step over the line they knew about it.

She never did give away her secret of how she did the raw onions in a bowl with vinegar.

She was also the best sock darner in the Rugby League.

I once remember Hornets buying a brand new white kit with “Braces” night club on the front. After playing away at Leigh Billy King decided that he would wash it without first getting Jean’s permission. A couple of hours later Jean opened the washer door and pulled out a set of pink shirts – Billy had washed them on a boil wash. She chased Billy all-round the ground finally finding him in the Railway side tea bar. The “A” team played in pink shirts for the remainder of the season.

Jean made decades of club Directors welcome at the Athletic Grounds and was the reason why Hornets were renowned for friendliness and excellent hospitality. She would also be seen doing all manner of other tasks around the Ground – she was a grafter for sure.

It was always good to catch up with Jean for a brew or catch up to talk about the “old days” on Yorkshire Street, she never did get round to picking her all-time best Hornets Team. I definitely know that there was four that would be a “shoe in” – Frank Myler, Alan Hodkinson, John Woods and Kevin Ashcroft.

God bless Jean - I know a few up there that will be glad to see you for a good cuppa.
RIP

Great memories Mark, she offered me a packet of McCoys crisps at half time, every home game for the last 5 or 6 years. I never once said yes thanks. It became a running joke. We've lost a good un there
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#7 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Jean was one of those ever present faces whenever I went to Hornets, going right back to when I first started watching in 1984 at the Athletic Grounds, right up to some of the recent home matches over the last few seasons.

I didnt know her personally but she always said hello. Fantastic words Hornets Nest

RIP Jean

#8 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Deepest sympathies to all of the family.
She was a true Hornets legend.
Players have come and gone but it was people like Jean that were always there.
May she rest in peace.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#9 grantmc

grantmc
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Deepest sympathies to all of the family .

me and my brother can remember being chased by Jean when we tried to get in to the tea room at the Athletic ground.

Every week i would see her on Milnrow road and have a good chin wag about hornets last game.

will be sadly missed RIP Jean

#10 apiarist

apiarist
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

At the "Peritos and Press", I, together with Wendy and her daughter Sarah were at the same table as Mrs. Garside and we were able to hold her father's medal. Wendy even took a photograph of it ! She was obviously very proud of her dad and indeed of Rochdale Hornets. What a lovely lady. I'm sure she will be sadly missed by all her family and friends. R.I.P.

#11 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Really sorry to hear Jean has passed away. Had known her for a good number of years. As people have said she was Hornets through and through. If you would have asked Jean to play in the second row I am sure she would have turned out.

Reunited with her brother Les, who was a prop with Swinton. You always knew when Les was at a Hornets game, with his booming advice to the Ref, of get em onside.

RIP Jean

Whoops almost forgot, Jeans Father Les was one of the Hornets terrible six, feared through out the game. A real RL family

Edited by ArthurDaley, 09 July 2013 - 06:53 PM.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#12 excolt

excolt
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Goodnight and Godbless Jean, my thoughts are with Brett and family a lovely person who I will miss at Hornets . - Colly.

#13 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I grew up around their families, great people all of them, You would always see Jean, her sister, sorry I can't remember her name, and her brother Les at all Hornets games. Will be sadly missed by all involved with the sport. R.I.P.

#14 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Didn't know the lady...............I'm a Roughyeds supporter from way back (sorry)........but to have so many nice things said about you, you have to have been someone special.

Condolences to the family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users