Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Go with Noakes - Vintage TV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Last night, I watched the 'Castleford rules OK?' episode of John Noakes' programme, from 1977. It was actually pretty good, and fans of the game will see some names from the past, both famous and more obscure. Player/coach Mal Reilly is genial and articulate, and the players are welcoming and willing to enter into the fun. There's also a fleeting appearance by a second-teamer with a lovely head of hair by the name of John Kear.

The club put John through some training sessions before playing him at stand-off in a first v second team match. Eddie Waring turned up to commentate. Apart from his tendency to do the pointless RU-style "falling over pass" from the scrum, it's good stuff. At one point, he was let through the defence for a try, after which he was, as is traditional, mobbed by urchins in parkas. :D 

It also reminds you how big a name he was, as the friendly match, arranged at short notice got a crowd that, as one person observed, wasn't far off that of a proper match day.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Where did you see it? Have you got a link?

People called Romans they go the house

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'll sent a PM, as Webby probably wouldn't want links posted on here.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I remember him sitting next to a pre-perm Sammy Lloyd in the changing room.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#5 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Did Noakes convert to Christianity around that time?

I would have thought meeting God might have spurred him towards this, unless of course he was still in Australia with the Sea Eagles. 

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#6 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was at Cas High when it was filmed & it was a big deal back then.

Roy Homer, who was my history teacher, was featured. Top man.

Any chance you could send me the link as I've only ever seen clips. Thanks

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I was at Cas High when it was filmed & it was a big deal back then.

Roy Homer, who was my history teacher, was featured. Top man.

Any chance you could send me the link as I've only ever seen clips. Thanks

I've sent you a PM.

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Did Noakes convert to Christianity around that time?

I would have thought meeting God might have spurred him towards this, unless of course he was still in Australia with the Sea Eagles. 

I don't remember Noakes meeting The Messiah. To sit on the same bench as the holy backside would surely be sufficient for him to be blessed.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#9 stevietomato

stevietomato
  • Facebook
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

I was sat in the main stand that Saturday morning when it was filmed. We had a decent side in those days with the silky Bruce Burton at stand off (what a shame he retired from the game at an early age).Dennis Hartley was still playing albeit in the A team and Sammy Lloyd was kicking goals for fun if I remember rightly. Great days.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

There was one player interviewed whose day job was a policeman, and he was the spitting image of Arthur Bostrom, the gendarme from 'Allo 'Allo. :D

#11 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

There was one player interviewed whose day job was a policeman, and he was the spitting image of Arthur Bostrom, the gendarme from 'Allo 'Allo. :D

Trevor Briggs - not quite as glamourous!!

#12 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I was sat in the main stand that Saturday morning when it was filmed. We had a decent side in those days with the silky Bruce Burton at stand off (what a shame he retired from the game at an early age).Dennis Hartley was still playing albeit in the A team and Sammy Lloyd was kicking goals for fun if I remember rightly. Great days.

Bruce was a class act. That side was winning the JP & Floodlit trophies around that time. It contained a lot if quality home grown talent such as Joyner, Reilly,Stephens & Fenton. Can't remember if Knocker had left by then.

We went to Saints in the early rounds of the JP trophy & came back from 18-3 (try = 3 points) down at the break to win in one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen.

Happy days indeed.....