• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

clip_image0222222222_zps78ed7692.jpg

Toulouse Olympique have launched their 'Here we come 2015' message and displayed it prominently on the terrace behind the posts at Stade Ernest Wallon the other week for the Hull KR visit. They're raising the tempo for sure. Difficult to imagine them wanting to re-play what they endured for three years in the Championship I would have thought. Why convince the city authorities to outlay a rumoured €7M to rejuvinate Stade des Minimes if they cannot welcome the Catalan Dragons and a first French Derby. Last week the club welcomed 300 partners private and public including the top sports honcho at the city council Francois Briançion to their regular Table Ovalie get togethers.

TO-AFFICHES-Affiche-geacuteneacuterique-
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

It would be absolutely crazy to encourage Toulouse to apply for a place in the elite European league, get them to invest all that money, and then relegate them to a northern English competition.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Get them in, I can't wait to read various ru fans responses to things when they have to mention Campbelltown, a pit village in wigan, south auckland and two French Rugby League Clubs, that'll stuff em  ;)

Seriously though, I would love to see them or Avignon get the go ahead with a French TV deal. Put us Aussies and Kiwis to shame considering how many RL teams are based in New Zealand.

Force the RFL to let you in Toulouse, make the bid that good that they can't knock it back no matter how incompetent the people in charge are. 

#4 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

As I wrote elsewhere on the forum, I hope we don't muck Toulouse about and get them in at the earliest possible opportunity:

http://www.totalrl.c...ulouse-en-2015/

#5 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Get them in, I can't wait to read various ru fans responses to things when they have to mention Campbelltown, a pit village in wigan, south auckland and two French Rugby League Clubs, that'll stuff em  ;)

Seriously though, I would love to see them or Avignon get the go ahead with a French TV deal. Put us Aussies and Kiwis to shame considering how many RL teams are based in New Zealand.

Force the RFL to let you in Toulouse, make the bid that good that they can't knock it back no matter how incompetent the people in charge are.

I would love it if the rfl,sky and french tv gave out a clear and decisive statement at the end of this season saying 'by 2018 superleague Europe will be a 12 team competition made up of 6 British clubs and 6 french clubs,and it will be a true franchised league that will be self governing.

#6 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

I would love it if the rfl,sky and french tv gave out a clear and decisive statement at the end of this season saying 'by 2018 superleague Europe will be a 12 team competition made up of 6 British clubs and 6 french clubs,and it will be a true franchised league that will be self governing.

You won't get much support from that from anywhere!
Posted Image

#7 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

You won't get much support from that from anywhere!

Your right it wont but for me,this is the only way the sport in Europe will ever grow.
The league would be jointly owned by sky tv and its french equivalent.
THEY, would choose the people to govern it.
These people would be charged with deciding which clubs would be/or are, most important to the competition.
The amount of tv revenue and sponsorship money you recieved would depend on your importance to the comp.
This for me is the only way that seriously rich business men would ever risk starting new clubs/franchises in areas like Cardiff,Paris,Barcalona etc.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

The sport in Europe would implode if your plan was implemented.

I'm 100% behind Toulouse but let's be sensible!

#9 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

They are in - no doubts about it.

Good luck to them, I hope they can improve and make the game stronger.

In 2010, The other half and I went, was an incredible experience even more so due to the Union team winning in a European final.

How many French teams should be in Super League? 7? So it's a 50/50 split?
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#10 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

They are in - no doubts about it.

Good luck to them, I hope they can improve and make the game stronger.

In 2010, The other half and I went, was an incredible experience even more so due to the Union team winning in a European final.

How many French teams should be in Super League? 7? So it's a 50/50 split?

I'm sure they 'are in' but the question the OP posed was which tier would they be placed in. The local council will not pay to renovate the stadium or give any central funding if they are placed in a 2nd tier, also if p and r is brought back how are Toulouse going to build into a stable sporting entity in the same way Catalan had the opportunity to be.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm not sure that they are "in" especially if SL is reduced from 14 teams.

#12 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

For ######s sake how long do they have to wait considering the mess of the broncos, crusaders.
Enough is enough give them a chance surely just for test footy considering the pinnacle of many people eyes is origin this mentality has to end look at the lions tour down under anyone think any league player is not envious of the international rugby product Toulouse small sacrifice for good of game.

#13 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Your right it wont but for me,this is the only way the sport in Europe will ever grow.The league would be jointly owned by sky tv and its french equivalent.THEY, would choose the people to govern it.These people would be charged with deciding which clubs would be/or are, most important to the competition.The amount of tv revenue and sponsorship money you recieved would depend on your importance to the comp.This for me is the only way that seriously rich business men would ever risk starting new clubs/franchises in areas like Cardiff,Paris,Barcalona etc.

Do Sky sell dishes in France? Wouldn't they lose a fair few customers over here if we only had six British teams?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#14 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Tricky question that - I mean look at the union. I bet more English folk watch the HC than the AP. But then the difference is that both France and England have leagues that feed into the HC, so you know that you are watching the best vs the best. If it turns out in the new SL to be the French sides getting a hiding for the first few years, then you can't compare SL with half the league made up of French teams to the HC. I think that would push viewers away.

Do Sky sell dishes in France? Wouldn't they lose a fair few customers over here if we only had six British teams?

#15 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

I think the quality of the players in the league would sell more dishes plus the long term aim would be to have more british clubs in the league but with a bigger geographical spread

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'd love it just love it

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Tricky question that - I mean look at the union. I bet more English folk watch the HC than the AP. But then the difference is that both France and England have leagues that feed into the HC, so you know that you are watching the best vs the best. If it turns out in the new SL to be the French sides getting a hiding for the first few years, then you can't compare SL with half the league made up of French teams to the HC. I think that would push viewers away.

what it would do from a tv point of view would make SKY's sport outlet more attractive, because it would create an image of a broad based forward looking sport. It would be great for the game in general.

Keeping it local

#18 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

If Toulouse are in for 2015 then the RFL need to announce it before the start of next season as it means there will be 3 relegation places instead of 2 from SL if the 2x12 3x8 format is adopted. It will also mean 5 relegation places in the Championship instead of 4.

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

If Toulouse are in for 2015 then the RFL need to announce it before the start of next season as it means there will be 3 relegation places instead of 2 from SL if the 2x12 3x8 format is adopted. It will also mean 5 relegation places in the Championship instead of 4.

Lets hope it isn't adopted then
Keeping it local

#20 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

I am not sure what you mean? Do you think that 6 French teams getting smashed 50-0 every week would make people subscribe to sky because RL is forward looking? Or something else?

what it would do from a tv point of view would make SKY's sport outlet more attractive, because it would create an image of a broad based forward looking sport. It would be great for the game in general.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users