Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

12/07/13 - (CCQF) Sheffield Eagles v London Broncos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
196 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

2. Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. London Broncos by 1 to 6 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. London Broncos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

6. Voted London Broncos by 13 points or more (12 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

Vote

#181 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

Personally, I think without Seward London would have lost. He was the difference.

I think the occasion got to Sheffield. Too much dropped ball.

And if fev hadn't lost such an important player as Kyle Briggs in the opening minutes of the game them maybe London wouldn't have even reached the quarter final. With ten minutes to go it was anybody's game and London just managed to get away with a result.

However, as Tony Rea said last night, he was never concerned at being drawn at Sheffield as 'SL sides are so superior to such teams' Obviously he couldn't remember as far back as last season and also it didn't stop him trying to get Rovers to loan him Will Sharp for the game.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#182 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,243 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

And your point is?

Judging whole teams and divisions on one cup match is a ludicrous thing to do.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#183 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,243 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

However, as Tony Rea said last night, he was never concerned at being drawn at Sheffield as 'SL sides are so superior to such teams' Obviously he couldn't remember as far back as last season and also it didn't stop him trying to get Rovers to loan him Will Sharp for the game.

No professional team should lose to a part-time team in any sport - that's why it's an upset when it happens.

- Severus, July 2012

#184 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

That was the last ever final at the old Wembley and London were a more competitive club than they are now with fewer years of failure behind them. From memory they brought around 9,000, I can't imagine them bringing anything like this now. It was also Leeds best attempt to break a long Challenge Cup drought, which they ended up doing.

I'm not so sure.  When I went down to the 2011 Four Nations game at Wembley I heard loads - and I mean loads - of southern English accents.  Rugby league is better known in the south now compared to then (even though it is hardly known of at all when compared to, say, St Helens) and I think if the final was promoted well that because it is an event, as the Four Nations match was, there could be a pretty good turnout by southern folk even if they have never watched a Broncos match live before.

#185 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm surprised that you think RL is better known in the south now than before. The big crowds at Wembley always including large numbers of southerners and RL was watched by more on terrestrial TV that it is now.

The Broncos themselves have less fans now than they did then. Crowds had been dropping for a couple of years from a peak in 1996 but they at least had a larger number of people that had regularly been to games in the recent past. Just 2 years earlier, they'd sold out the Stoop (9,800) for a game against the Brisbane Broncos.

Compare them to now, they have had a low level of support for over a decade and currently it is the lowest ever. Their biggest crowd this year is just 3,500 and that will have included a huge element from Wigan. Most of their crowds are now under 2,000. You're going back to 2010 for their last crowd over 5,000 against against teams with large travelling support.

I can't see where the thousands are going to come from this time.

#186 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

i can't believe the anti broncos garbage being spouted by some on this thread, they are a good club who are constantly battling adversity and are fighting an uphill battle in the capitol. i want broncos to lose two games in a season (against widnes), the rest of the time i want them to win and perform well, alongside crusaders they are my favourite other team apart from the mighty chemics. they should be applauded for their continuing survival against all the odds......not crucified for being in super league.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#187 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,916 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Moderating note:  2 posts deleted.

Abusing other members is not acceptable on this forum.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#188 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

i can't believe the anti broncos garbage being spouted by some on this thread, they are a good club who are constantly battling adversity and are fighting an uphill battle in the capitol. i want broncos to lose two games in a season (against widnes), the rest of the time i want them to win and perform well, alongside crusaders they are my favourite other team apart from the mighty chemics. they should be applauded for their continuing survival against all the odds......not crucified for being in super league.

Why is it anti-Broncos to want our showpiece final to be a showpiece? I want them to do well but you can't get away from the reality that a final involving them would likely result in a damp squib of a final.

#189 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

And if fev hadn't lost such an important player as Kyle Briggs in the opening minutes of the game them maybe London wouldn't have even reached the quarter final. With ten minutes to go it was anybody's game and London just managed to get away with a result.

Terry, face facts. The Championship sides have won one game out of dozens over the last few years. Fev's win wasn't the norm.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#190 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Terry, face facts. The Championship sides have won one game out of dozens over the last few years. Fev's win wasn't the norm.

If you watched the game on Friday you'd see a clear difference between Sheffield and London and it wasn't just Soward. Sheffield could have won the game if they hadn't made so many mistakes but London were bullying them in the forwards, there was a clear difference in size.

As Widnes last year showed there is a clear difference between competing in a one-off game and backing it up two or three weeks in a row. I suspect if Sheffield were playing say Salford away next week, there would be a much bigger beating.

#191 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

If you watched the game on Friday you'd see a clear difference between Sheffield and London and it wasn't just Soward. Sheffield could have won the game if they hadn't made so many mistakes but London were bullying them in the forwards, there was a clear difference in size.

As Widnes last year showed there is a clear difference between competing in a one-off game and backing it up two or three weeks in a row. I suspect if Sheffield were playing say Salford away next week, there would be a much bigger beating.

Yep, I'm thinking there'd be a lot of Cudvewonbutdidnts.

Which is why your three eights won't work..........

#192 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm surprised that you think RL is better known in the south now than before. The big crowds at Wembley always including large numbers of southerners and RL was watched by more on terrestrial TV that it is now..

Really?  Well in the years I went there to watch Saints win the Challenge Cup I hardly heard any southern English accents. 

#193 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yep, I'm thinking there'd be a lot of Cudvewonbutdidnts.

Which is why your three eights won't work..........

3 x 8 would not be good to watch after the split. Too one sided in a high proportion of games

#194 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,243 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Really?  Well in the years I went there to watch Saints win the Challenge Cup I hardly heard any southern English accents. 

That was my experience too - and the 2011 double header really did stand out for the lack of club shirts and the number of southern accents on display.

- Severus, July 2012

#195 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

3 x 8 would not be good to watch after the split. Too one sided in a high proportion of games

I've only been saying so since it was suggested ...........

#196 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

at the 2011 double header i was with my wife, son and grandson, all wearing our england shirts, and we were sat with quite a few southern fans including some broncos fans we have made friends with over the years,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#197 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

It's not about the match anymore, this thread, is it?

Locked.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com