Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

who is it going to be this year

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

SL is as competitive as I can remember this year. There is almost a top 10. Leeds have shown you don't have to finish top to win could saints do a Leeds? Could Leeds do a Leeds can the giants keep it up. Probably if brough doesnt get injured. Who is your top 4 and is it the same top 4 in the semi finals

#2 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Wigan v Warrington final, best team on the day to win in a classic.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#3 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

How bizarre, discussing the actual on field competition in a rugby league forum!

It is hard to say. Wigan have seemed to be the front runners with Huddersfield just behind them. Warrington are thereabouts but haven't quite been as good as last year I think although they have started to make rumblings recently. Of course you can never rule Leeds out with their recent record and Les Catalans can have their moments.

I think we're looking at Wigan and Warrington in the final. Huddersfield will eventually fall short and it will be one year too many for Leeds coming from 4th. The front runners will be a lot wiser to their potential challenge. I'm hoping for Wigan out of those few.

#4 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Tend to go with opinions voiced so far - Wigan v Warrington final, think Anderson has done a great job at Huddersfield and they may just throw a spanner in, especially if Brough maintains his form.
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I think it is fair to say that Warrington and Wigan have been the best two teams in the country for the last three years (they won more games than the other teams) yet they are yet to meet in the Grand Final.

In recent years it has been unusual to get the top 2 in the GF, usually because Leeds have pulled off a shock!

I hope it is Warrington v Wigan (or Warrington v anyone if I'm totally honest!) but I think a lot will happen before then, I can;t call it.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

How bizarre, discussing the actual on field competition in a rugby league forum!

It is hard to say. Wigan have seemed to be the front runners with Huddersfield just behind them. Warrington are thereabouts but haven't quite been as good as last year I think although they have started to make rumblings recently. Of course you can never rule Leeds out with their recent record and Les Catalans can have their moments.

I think we're looking at Wigan and Warrington in the final. Huddersfield will eventually fall short and it will be one year too many for Leeds coming from 4th. The front runners will be a lot wiser to their potential challenge. I'm hoping for Wigan out of those few.

Interestingly, whilst I don;t think you'd get much debate around stating that Warrington haven't been as good as last year, their record is slightly better.

After 21 rounds:

2013 - 15 wins, 1 draw, +320 points dif

2012 - 15 wins, 1 draw, +270 points dif

2011 - 16 wins, 0 draws, +467 points dif

We are pretty much where we have been for the last couple of years with 5 losses at this stage.

A lot depends on injuries and loss of form. Friday worried me slightly!

#7 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Leeds.

#8 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thought last weekends results showed an even spread too. Salford & London travelled well. Remember on here a few years back it was just two horse race infintitum Leeds & Saints. But looks genuine top four in 2013. May be at last Fartown's year at least to get to OT. Difficult to look outside of that. Catalans just too injury prone in 2013. Not big enough yet to do without 6 front liners for the duration. Anderson & Baiteri sorely missed for their mental toughness & know how. Elima & Webb back next month might live'n things up a bit. French lads have been the success story though for this campaign so far.

Edited by audois, 10 July 2013 - 02:13 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#9 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Briers to put in a cameo display & lead Wire to victory at OT - v Fartown or Wigan

#10 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

3rd time lucky for the Giants to lift the CC?
I bloomin well hope so!

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Huddersfield v warrington final, couldn't careless who wins as long as its a classic.

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

I backed Wigan before Christmas and that still looks a decent bet to me when Sam Tomkins is playing. It looks pretty rotten when he's not.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

All those teams who finished 4th and 5th before 2011 hadn't a hope in H*ll of winning the GF.They weren't in the same street as Leeds who were capable of winning it.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I think up to 6-7 teams could still win it this year. Huddersfield are looking mighty good, as are Wigan.

I hope we enjoy it though, as this year will be the last season of a competitive SL. Next season once P&R is brought back in, it will be basically Wigan and Leeds as the only teams capable of winning, and the other teams scrapping for survival, by overloading their teams with imports. 2013 could go down as the last decent year of SL before it goes into steady decline.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think up to 6-7 teams could still win it this year. Huddersfield are looking mighty good, as are Wigan.

I hope we enjoy it though, as this year will be the last season of a competitive SL. Next season once P&R is brought back in, it will be basically Wigan and Leeds as the only teams capable of winning, and the other teams scrapping for survival, by overloading their teams with imports. 2013 could go down as the last decent year of SL before it goes into steady decline.

Sorry , you have lost me there, how does the re-instatement of P & R lead to the demise of all other professional clubs bar Wigan and Leeds into "teams scrapping for survival", and how can teams be overloaded with imports when the excellent , and slowly but surely working, quota rules are in place..????

On topic i think Wigan on the day are the best team this year and will be hard to beat should they be healthy at the business end but would never overlook Leeds whose current injury problems may well work in their favour. Warrington have slightly disappointed struggling with understrength Wigan and Leeds sides recently and look a little long in the tooth as a side. Huddersfield i fully expect to do a Huddersfield.

#16 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Sorry , you have lost me there, how does the re-instatement of P & R lead to the demise of all other professional clubs bar Wigan and Leeds into "teams scrapping for survival", and how can teams be overloaded with imports when the excellent , and slowly but surely working, quota rules are in place..????.

The quota works now because clubs are happy to adhere to it as they are not at risk of P&R. With 2-3 clubs to be relegated next year, the quota will go out the window (the RFL wont enforce it) and most clubs will have 8-10 imports (hull KR will probably field a full 17 of imports) next season, as youth development isn't worth the risk anymore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

The quota works now because clubs are happy to adhere to it as they are not at risk of P&R. With 2-3 clubs to be relegated next year, the quota will go out the window (the RFL wont enforce it) and most clubs will have 8-10 imports (hull KR will probably field a full 17 of imports) next season, as youth development isn't worth the risk anymore.

You are just making stuff up.

I confidently predict this won't happen.

I'm not sure why my club Warrington will go from being tipped for the GF this year to relegation strugglers next year.

What is your logic for this?

#18 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

6-7 clubs at the top end of SL now will be fine, simply untouchable in their relative positions

Below that I guarantee at least one club will bankrupt themselves to stay in super league, maybe more

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think it is fair to say that Warrington and Wigan have been the best two teams in the country for the last three years (they won more games than the other teams) yet they are yet to meet in the Grand Final.

In recent years it has been unusual to get the top 2 in the GF, usually because Leeds have pulled off a shock!

I hope it is Warrington v Wigan (or Warrington v anyone if I'm totally honest!) but I think a lot will happen before then, I can;t call it.

Of the four seasons of top-8 play-offs, half have involved 1st vs 2nd. I think "unusual" is possibly the wrong word! "Less likely" is probably a better way of putting it!

Hull vs Huddersfield is my bet ;)

Posted Image

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Of the four seasons of top-8 play-offs, half have involved 1st vs 2nd. I think "unusual" is possibly the wrong word! "Less likely" is probably a better way of putting it!

Hull vs Huddersfield is my bet ;)

dont think thats true is it?

Warrington have been top 2 for the past 3 years and havent been in a 1st v 2nd gf. iirc