Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Italian Dream

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

How do you think an Italian based Super League side would fare? If they were given 3 years to prepare after 2015, with significant grass roots development after the world cup, I think they could do well.

There are a number of Australian players with Italian heritage to help build the squad, Gower and Minichello could be tempted into coaching roles and with financial backing they could attract a few stars to the team. 

Rugby Union has taken off over there and if the team were based in a big city like Milan or Rome, there could be a big fan base. It could also attract a new Italian tv deal for Super League, broaden exposure into another country and help spread the game. 

If they were given time and support, with league set up throughout the country at amateur level and the game taken into schools then eventually they would start bringing Italian players through. Also there is a solid foundation to work off already in place, with the national team and a small domestic league.

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

If it could be done, great! But its a bit far out isn't it?

It's time to park the camels.

#3 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think an Italian based Super League team would attract abysmal crowds, would likely get pummeled every week and would fold within a year.

#4 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think an Italian based Super League team would attract abysmal crowds, would likely get pummeled every week and would fold within a year.

What makes you say that, they could buy good players, get good coaches and if based in Rome for would have over 2.5 million people to appeal to.

Maybe your right but it could also be a good thing.

Edited by Eddie Rombo, 10 July 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#5 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

It would be great to have an Italian club but there's so many questions to be answered before it can become reality - i.e. who would finance the club? Where would they get the players from? What solid interest is there in Rugby League in Italy? etc.

#6 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

It would be great to have an Italian club but there's so many questions to be answered before it can become reality - i.e. who would finance the club? Where would they get the players from? What solid interest is there in Rugby League in Italy? etc.

Of course I agree completely but if it were to happen it could seriously boost the game in Europe

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

A long way down the line, when the split in the Italian game is healed, and the domestic league has put down roots, expanded, secured finances and got itself a TV deal, maybe. Not in the next 10 or even 20 years, I reckon.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Getting a team in Elite 1 should be the goal for now. Even that would need alot of hard work done at grassroots level. The split being sorted would first on the agenda!

I think the best way to build interest shirt term would be to get a full strength National team playing regularly on home soil against the likes of England, France & Wales. Market these games well.to the public.and use the exposure to help build the grass roots.

Off the back of this hopefully a sustainable semi-pro club or maybe even two could be established. These teams could have links to SL clubs so the best players can easily reach the top level.
https://au.dryjuly.c...e/kabramudcrabs

Support myself & team Mudcrab during our Dry July 2013 challenge. Proceeds going to Cancer Support.

#9 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

funny that but I idly thought about an Italian SL club earlier today, something that isnt normally at the forefront of my mind I guarantee you!

I think it'd take a lot of time. First the two Italian RL factions would need their heads knocking together and then you'd try to aim to get a small,sustainable semi pro league up and running. Only after that was accepted as an established entity do I think you should then take the next step and have a pro team for them to feed into. Nice to dream though ;-)

#10 earl park riot

earl park riot
  • Coach
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

A semi-professional side in the French elite would be more achievable in the short-medium term. The required budget would be considerably less than SL and the standard of the competition would allow more home-grown players to feature. A SL team would be full of foreign players. That said, I think we'd all love to see an Italian SL side down the track. As you say, we can dream!

#11 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

You MUST be joking. There are serious concerns about tv coverage of Six Nations and Pro12 for next season, there's NO money. Even traditionally well attended sports like basketball or volley-ball, where italian teams are (or maybe were) successful in international competition, are struggling to find money. The final of the so called Cup organized by one of the two italian league federations attracted a crowd of 14. The people driving the movement are presumably true lovers of the game and are probably enjoying themselves trying to build something. I wish them all the best, but a team in French Elite is less likely then a trip to Mars with an air balloon.

#12 earl park riot

earl park riot
  • Coach
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Didn't suggest it was likely, merely that it was a more achievable goal than Super League which as I think most agree won't happen. I don't believe there'll be much development in Italy in the foreseeable future (in terms of semi-professional or professional football), but if people want to work towards something it's best to work towards achievable medium-term goals. And at the end of the day, the title of the thread is The Italian Dream.    

#13 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

The FIRFL (Non RLEF recognised) have a tv deal, an expansive comp and are really growing the game. Unfortunately, the recognised lot are focussed on a tiny comp in the north, and using Ozzies.

A while back, I spoke about my idea to have a true eurpeoan superleague with 10 british clubs and 10 French clubs (including one Italian team) playing thier division home and away, and cross division teams once. Maybe a little far fetched according to some, but If there was geographical spread, there would be more money, with 20 teams, there would be enough players of a quality, i believe, to sustain competition. It would give platforms for these teams to grow homegrown players with a top end ambition. 

As someone says here, these teams, as with an italian one would have to have a responsibility put on them to grow more clubs in local leagues, in Italys case, building for a 9 team Italian super league, with the tenth club being from Serbia etc...

So I dont think an Italian team is out of the question, I just feel that honestly, the English clubs are the real problem to expansion, they dont want it, they dont want to share money, they dont want to concede that they arent big enough to play top flight.

I honestly think the the best way to grow the game in Italy like this would be to do the opposite of what the British are doing currently. The teams from the FIRFL could grow a rep team to play against the French I feel, in Elite 2 east initially and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users