purely hypothetical

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

With the talk of mergers once again in this topic http://www.totalrl.c...r/#entry2742695
was just wondering what your thought/reactions would be if we were to merge with someone? Now im not even sure who we could merge with tbh but thought if we changed the name to "North Yorkshire Knights" or something we could perhaps appeal to a wider audience and have road games in Scarborough etc(if they have a suitable ground) much like Wests in the NRL. But would that even change anything? I'm not sure.
This topic is purely hypothetical, I probably wouldn't want this to happen, but who knows, this is Rugby League after all.

Edited by YCKonstantine, 10 July 2013 - 02:14 PM.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thankfully, there is nobody York could feasibly merge with.

I would love to take one game each season 'on the road' through North Yorkshire though, that would be great.

Posted Image

#3 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

can't think of anything worse

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#4 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

And why is that? Can we actually have a proper discussion instead of just 'no'..

2014 SQL League Leader

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

About what? Merging or on the road games?

Posted Image

#6 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'd love a day out to Scarborough and a game of rugby league. In regards to the 'North Yorkshire Knights' concept I mentioned earlier, would that strengthen our opportunities of getting into SL in the future? If that's even a goal/aspiration of the club to be in SL of course. I mean it doesn't exactly 'alienate' the existing fanbase and opens the doors to more people, maybe?

2014 SQL League Leader

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'd love a day out to Scarborough and a game of rugby league. In regards to the 'North Yorkshire Knights' concept I mentioned earlier, would that strengthen our opportunities of getting into SL in the future? If that's even a goal/aspiration of the club to be in SL of course. I mean it doesn't exactly 'alienate' the existing fanbase and opens the doors to more people, maybe?

I see what you mean and the newer teams are starting out on this route (ie South Wales, North Wales and Gloucestershire) but we have an identifiable brand at York City Knights and personally I think it would just be change for changes sake.

By all means we should try to get fans from further afield and take one game per season to Scarborough, Harrogate and Whitby ect would be great. But with the new stadium on the horizon I do feel it is imperative that we build on the York City Knights brand and engage with as many fans as possible - old and new - from our great City first. We don't want to spread our limited resources too thinly.

Posted Image

#8 Caldecott

Caldecott
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

If merging clubs was succesful, then why aren't they still around now?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind taking a game on the road to Scarborough etc. however we don't win away!

YCK

#9 tanghaller

tanghaller
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Which other grounds in North Yorkshire would be up to standard?
Would we play at Scarborough/Harrogate RU grounds.
Think Whitby Town's ground might be up to standard.

#10 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

We have games on the road don't we? Pretty sure I'm watching one in Dewsbury at the weekend...And we will win that one: 22 v 28.

I could see roadshow games working with friendlies, but competition games may be problematic with the RFL, risk assessments and hiviz wearing H&S officers justifying their existence - which eats into costs. I'd rather have a halfback than a trip to scarborough.

The North Yorkshire thing is a thought - "The Pride of North Yorkshire" is what we need to bring them in from far and wide. There are a few outreaching projects ongoing to get the name out abit more - but I agree with Gav about the solidifying the York City Knights brand as we move into a new stadium.

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Which other grounds in North Yorkshire would be up to standard?
Would we play at Scarborough/Harrogate RU grounds.
Think Whitby Town's ground might be up to standard.

Talk of a new stadium in Scarborough too.

Posted Image

#12 tanghaller

tanghaller
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Talk of a new stadium in Scarborough too.

3G pitch if i remember rightly aswell. Well if Widnes can use it why can't others.

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

3G pitch if i remember rightly aswell. Well if Widnes can use it why can't others.

Absolutely! Having said that, I'm only up for this if we can go and see Danny Wilde afterwards...

Posted Image

#14 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

We have games on the road don't we? Pretty sure I'm watching one in Dewsbury at the weekend...And we will win that one: 22 v 28.

I could see roadshow games working with friendlies, but competition games may be problematic with the RFL, risk assessments and hiviz wearing H&S officers justifying their existence - which eats into costs. I'd rather have a halfback than a trip to scarborough.

The North Yorkshire thing is a thought - "The Pride of North Yorkshire" is what we need to bring them in from far and wide. There are a few outreaching projects ongoing to get the name out abit more - but I agree with Gav about the solidifying the York City Knights brand as we move into a new stadium.

I agree, like I said in the OP this is purely hypothetical, mainly to get a bit action going on the board. But yes I do feel its important to engage the rest of NY like the twitter says "North Yorkshires only professional rugby league club."

Edited by YCKonstantine, 10 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

2014 SQL League Leader

#15 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thankfully, there is nobody York could feasibly merge with.

I would love to take one game each season 'on the road' through North Yorkshire though, that would be great.

Spain would be nice :onthequiet:

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I agree, like I said in the OP this is purely hypothetical, mainly to get a bit action going on the board. 

And the board is all the better for it mate, hopefully others will follow your lead!

Posted Image

#17 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

About what? Merging or on the road games?

both

#18 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

both

Riveting.

2014 SQL League Leader

#19 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

ok 1 a merger will never work-never has

2 games on the road-we can't get a descent home following so why would anyone travel 40 mles for a home game

3 rl is complicted enough without making it harder

4 i wont go anymore if they were to merge or go on the road

only my opinions, of course

#20 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

ok 1 a merger will never work-never has

2 games on the road-we can't get a descent home following so why would anyone travel 40 mles for a home game

3 rl is complicted enough without making it harder

4 i wont go anymore if they were to merge or go on the road

only my opinions, of course

1. A merger will never happen, we are the only club in North Yorkshire, believe it or not we are actually quite important to the RFL. 

2. The idea would be to attract new fans from that town.

3. Whats complicated about moving 1 game to Scarborough?

4. Thats good then, because we aren't merging. As it stands we aren't going on the road either, but I will be brining it up to the Boss when i see him.

:D

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users