And Leeds Road

Owlerton?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#22 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

This Londoner has been to Owlerton a fair few times years ago watching Hackney Speedway
V Sheff Tigers.

#23 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Fartown was a fantastic ground for watching rugby ... a huge steep terrace (like Odsal still has) ran down the length of one touchline.

I played there once. The "changing rooms" were a complete misnomer... they hadn't changed in about a hundred years.

:)

Yes, it was a cracking ground in its day. Its design gave vastly better views of  the matches than can be obtained now in the grounds of some clubs that have been in Superleague for many years but which have failed to provide modern stadia, wherein all the spectators can get a good view of the game.

The decline of the club was unsurprisingly reflected in the state of the ground. Yes, having stood on the main terrace and having played there, it wasn't luxury for many a year!

It's a real pity to see the Fartown Ground now. 

St Joseph's who play in the Pennine League lease the ground.

#24 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

Why do people on here call Huddersfield- Fartown?

Goes back a long time.   When Harold Wagstaff died in 1939 there was a wreath laid on his coffin with gold lillies and claret carnations and the inscription "From the boys of the Fartown football team"

Interestingly, when I was a kid Huddersfield RU club were sometimes known as "Waterloo", which is the part of the town they played in at the time.

That's me.  I'm done.

#25 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

You forgot McAlpine

And Leeds Road

And Rifle Field.

That's me.  I'm done.

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Goes back a long time.   When Harold Wagstaff died in 1939 there was a wreath laid on his coffin with gold lillies and claret carnations and the inscription "From the boys of the Fartown football team"

Interestingly, when I was a kid Huddersfield RU club were sometimes known as "Waterloo", which is the part of the town they played in at the time.

You said interesting and then mentioned rugby union.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Goes back a long time. When Harold Wagstaff died in 1939 there was a wreath laid on his coffin with gold lillies and claret carnations and the inscription "From the boys of the Fartown football team"

Steve's inability to recognise that Fartown don't exist post merger always raises a smile with me. For such an intelligent bloke that makes a habit of sticking to facts he has one hell of a blind spot.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 11 July 2013 - 08:22 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#28 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

And this  Londoner's even had the misfortune to have been to matches there (nice clubhouse, though).

And this ADOPTED  Londoner's even had the misfortune to have played there  for Huddersfield Polytechnic in the local works RL trophy in 1978 (nice clubhouse, though).

#29 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

And this ADOPTED  Londoner's even had the misfortune to have played there  for Huddersfield Polytechnic in the local works RL trophy in 1978 (nice clubhouse, though).

Then you played against me when I was at Salford Tech (as mentioned on another thread) - or was that 1979?

Edited by Bleep1673, 12 July 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users