Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Minister pledges support for Rugby League World Cup

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

During Prime Ministers Questions on Wednesday 10 July, Parliamentary Rugby League Group Chairman, Leeds North West MP Greg Mulholland, called on the Prime Minister to support fully and promote the Rugby League World Cup 2013 and in response, David Cameron affirmed to the House his strong support for the UK hosting the tournament.

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Cameron is almost as oily as John Inverdale.

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,267 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

and at least the unctuous one has actually heard of rugby league

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Cameron's not a "bloke" though is he?

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

and at least the unctuous one has actually heard of rugby league

Bit unfair.

http://www.therfl.co...-world-cup-goes

http://i.telegraph.c...by_2385394b.jpg

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#6 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Who cares if he supports it or not?

Is he going to bring all his mates down to the games, or buy us a beer?

I would rather he just kept his beak out of it to be honest.

He couldn't really win here, could he?

Posted Image

#7 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Cameron was pretty poor in the Commons today.  

It pointedly avoided saying, when asked, whether he would attend any of the world cup matches.  And then managed to change the subject as quickly as possible away from rugby league to the cricket.  

We don't ask for much - and we don't get it.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,267 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

No
And that's a good thing
Keeping it local

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

It's not about winning it's about "waaahhh, but, but, but he's a a a a TORY!!!"

If it's not a major royal presenting the trophy then he's next on the list for me. Lets try and have someone of public "importance" doling out the prize. or Gary Schofield.

#10 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

No
And that's a good thing

Why?

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,267 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Why?

Because
Keeping it local

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,267 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

If it's not a major royal presenting the trophy then he's next on the list for me. Lets try and have someone of public "importance" doling out the prize. or Gary Schofield.

Id rather it was someone who deserved it
Keeping it local

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

I agree that the comments are all about the fact that he is a Tory.

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM.  I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics.  That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal.  I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

Edited by Saintslass, 10 July 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#14 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Because

Because what?

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,267 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM. I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics. That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal. I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

Any politician is going to heighten divisions between people
And it's pretty nauseating when they attempt to get some kind of vicarious credibility by their presence at events like this no matter what party they represent
Keeping it local

#16 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM.  I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics.  That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal.  I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

I thought it was a great British moment. Was that going to happen in that communist utopia of North Korea?

#17 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Seems to me that Harry Sunderland is the perfect bloke for a rugby league trophy to be named after.

#18 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

I would not believe the prime minister, even if he told me it went dark at night!

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Rubbish.

I despise politicians seeking publicity from sport.

Cameron is a slimy man, he's been all over the success of Andy Murray, the Olympians etc etc ALL after the event whilsy at the same time his economic and social policies are directly damaging sports participation rates across the board.

The man cannot help himself in seeking out what he considers good news stories to get his mug shot all over. I'll give it ten minutes after the forthcoming royal birth before he's there grinning telling the world how the entire nation is overjoyed.

This isn't unique to Tories, but he's a serial and noxious offender. Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 July 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Rubbish.

I despise politicians seeking publicity from sport.

Cameron is a slimy man, he's been all over the success of Andy Murray, the Olympians etc etc ALL after the event whilsy at the same time his economic and social policies are directly damaging sports participation rates across the board.

The man cannot help himself in seeking out what he considers good news stories to get his mug shot all over. I'll give it ten minutes after the forthcoming royal birth before he's there grinning telling the world how the entire nation is overjoyed.

This isn't unique to Tories, but he's a serial and noxious offender. Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians.

Could not disagree more. But that is beside the point, which is  that thanks to Greg Mulholland and Mr Speaker,  the Rugby World Cup got a mention in Parliament and on national television. That should be welcomed.

But if Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians, Mulholland should have kept quiet, in your view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users