Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Minister pledges support for Rugby League World Cup

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Honestly if you think you have it bad on the mainland, come here and you'll soon stop moaning :D

Secondly, I get the impression that none of our leaders are that interested in sport unlike their equivalents Down Under though I'm sure those posters on here who live / have lived in Australia or New Zealand could give us some insight.

There is an all-parliamentary committee on rugby league and if my memory serves me right, they were rather focal on the subject of shamateurism in the 90s.

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Could not disagree more. But that is beside the point, which is that thanks to Greg Mulholland and Mr Speaker, the Rugby World Cup got a mention in Parliament and on national television. That should be welcomed.

But if Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians, Mulholland should have kept quiet, in your view.

Mulholland was/is trying to further the interests of the game because he's actually interested in it and works to address the under representation it has in the media and society.

Cameron just wants his shiny slimy mug associated with any good PR stories for his own political gain which is massively different in my eyes.

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,497 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Could not disagree more. But that is beside the point, which is  that thanks to Greg Mulholland and Mr Speaker,  the Rugby World Cup got a mention in Parliament and on national television. That should be welcomed.

But if Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians, Mulholland should have kept quiet, in your view.

correct

Mulholland was acting relative to his role in the all party parliamentary rugby league group, and he represents a constituency which includes a massive part of rugby league's fan base, and the home of one of the most famous clubs in the game: North West Leeds.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

If Cameron giving a mention to the RLWC sells just one extra ticket then it's worth it.

Chapeau to Greg Mulholland too for his good work.

#25 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

OMG at the way this thread has gone, shakes head.

#26 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

If Cameron giving a mention to the RLWC sells just one extra ticket then it's worth it.

Chapeau to Greg Mulholland too for his good work.

Spot on.

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

If Cameron hadn't acknowledged the existence of the tournament, everyone would be bitching about that instead.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

I agree that the comments are all about the fact that he is a Tory.

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM.  I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics.  That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal.  I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

I remember Tony Blair as PM being booed by the crowd when he was guest of honour at the 2001 Challenge Cup final between Bradford and Saints at Twickers, and he was still relatively popular in the country as a whole back then. It was a strange moment. As a sport we crave recognition from the establishment and moan when we don't get it, but when we do get it, we're still not happy.

I don't think it is a bad thing at all for the RLWC to be seen to be getting support from the Prime Minister, whoever it is or whichever party they represent. It is the status of the office they hold that matters.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#29 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Politicians, especially government ministers, do want to be associated with sporting success, as we saw with the Olympics last year and, recently, with the tennis. That is just part of the game they are in, and they would certainly suffer criticism if they stayed away from major events. Sports with any kind of intelligent leadership court those politicians as the relationship can be mutually beneficial. Again, just a recognition of how the world works.

Rugby league, despite its traditional associations with the northern English working class, is not some social, political or moral crusade where we only deal with people we find acceptable and on our terms. The RL authorities must work with the overall good of the game in mind in every thing they do. If that means working with, and enlisting the support of, people like David Cameron, Tony Blair, et al, the so be it.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#30 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Politicians, especially government ministers, do want to be associated with sporting success, as we saw with the Olympics last year and, recently, with the tennis. That is just part of the game they are in, and they would certainly suffer criticism if they stayed away from major events. Sports with any kind of intelligent leadership court those politicians as the relationship can be mutually beneficial. Again, just a recognition of how the world works.

Rugby league, despite its traditional associations with the northern English working class, is not some social, political or moral crusade where we only deal with people we find acceptable and on our terms. The RL authorities must work with the overall good of the game in mind in every thing they do. If that means working with, and enlisting the support of, people like David Cameron, Tony Blair, et al, the so be it.

That gets my vote! :)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

The party of government is always especially interested in sporting success, as the feelgood factor tends to be good for their party's electoral chances.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

The party of government is always especially interested in sporting success, as the feelgood factor tends to be good for their party's electoral chances.

I think that's a myth. Team GB's success in the London Olympics did absolutely nothing for the poll ratings of either of the coalition parties, just as their success in Beijing in 2008 did nothing for Gordon Brown's embattled Labour government. It makes for a good photo opportunity, and is probably much nicer for them that meeting finance ministers or grumpy folk handing in petitions, but voters are no where near as stupid as politicians think they are.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,829 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Mulholland was/is trying to further the interests of the game because he's actually interested in it and works to address the under representation it has in the media and society.

Cameron just wants his shiny slimy mug associated with any good PR stories for his own political gain which is massively different in my eyes.

It could be argued that Mulholland raised it because he is after the votes of RL fans in his constituency. After all, he is also a politician. Well done to him raising it. Just don't pretend that it is pure altruism.

#34 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

I remember Tony Blair as PM being booed by the crowd when he was guest of honour at the 2001 Challenge Cup final between Bradford and Saints at Twickers, and he was still relatively popular in the country as a whole back then. It was a strange moment. As a sport we crave recognition from the establishment and moan when we don't get it, but when we do get it, we're still not happy.

I don't think it is a bad thing at all for the RLWC to be seen to be getting support from the Prime Minister, whoever it is or whichever party they represent. It is the status of the office they hold that matters.

A bit of reason and sense with those two posts. Sometimes I despair when reading the views of many a RL fan. We should be soaking up as much exposure as we can get for the tournament and inviting everyone including HM the Queen , the Prime Minister etc to our great sporting spectacle.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#35 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Cameron's not a "bloke" though is he?

He once famously tried to play the 'northern bloke card' by claiming, quite truthfully, that his wife Samantha was from near Scunthorpe (not Paul).

What he failed to mention was that it was her ancient family seat of circa 400 acres with mansion house in north Lincolnshire from which she hailed.

A half truth is a whole lie.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#36 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here but, apart from a standard answer to a typically loaded PMQs question, what tangible support has actually been pledged ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

I agree and I'm glad that Mulholland raised it in PMQs.  Our sport and its elite competition got a mention in Parliament and that is what is important here IMO.

#38 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here but, apart from a standard answer to a typically loaded PMQs question, what tangible support has actually been pledged ?

The government is giving some financial support if memory serves. 

#39 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

UK Sport which is the government funded body for elite sport in the country claims to be putting up to £500,000 into the World Cup. Incidentally I emailed UK Sport about their lack of promotion for the World Cup http://www.uksport.g...ague-world-cup/ suggesting much more positive (and more factual about the pricing) copy, they wrote that they were aware that their copy needed to change. However that was several months ago and still their original uninspiring text remains.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,497 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

It could be argued that Mulholland raised it because he is after the votes of RL fans in his constituency. After all, he is also a politician. Well done to him raising it. Just don't pretend that it is pure altruism.

Mulholland is my MP

I've had lot's of dealings with him and so have pottsy, wellsy and gav wilson.

his constituency encompasses headingley, and the latrge rugby league supporting north leeds hinterland. he's also chair of the all party rl group

He's a lib dem, and so not of my political persuasion

His passion for rugby league is genuine, he's also a very hard working constituency mp

perhaps on this occassion politics and genuine feeling go hand in hand.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users