TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Minister pledges support for Rugby League World Cup

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

No 10 has just tweeted the Prime Minister's best wishes to all the finalists in the Festival of World Cups and encouraged attendance in the Autumn. I do think that Mr Cameron does have an interest in sport, and there is clearly someone in the Communications Team who has realised that in order to capture Northern seats you at least have to talk about things that may be of interest to voters.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#42 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Rubbish.

I despise politicians seeking publicity from sport.

Cameron is a slimy man, he's been all over the success of Andy Murray, the Olympians etc etc ALL after the event whilsy at the same time his economic and social policies are directly damaging sports participation rates across the board.

The man cannot help himself in seeking out what he considers good news stories to get his mug shot all over. I'll give it ten minutes after the forthcoming royal birth before he's there grinning telling the world how the entire nation is overjoyed.

This isn't unique to Tories, but he's a serial and noxious offender. Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians.

Spot on. It's not about anyone's political leanings. As a man he commands little, if any, respect. What's really amazing is that he can't see that we can all see it. Staggering.

There are literally thousands of people more suitable to present a trophy.

I saw that clip of him at Wimbledon last week. Offensive in every way. Maybe if he put in a decent shift at a hospice without cameras there he might be taken seriously

RL is full of people who have more morals than he can ever think about..... His association with our sport is based only on what's in it for him

#43 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Spot on. It's not about anyone's political leanings. As a man he commands little, if any, respect. What's really amazing is that he can't see that we can all see it. Staggering.
There are literally thousands of people more suitable to present a trophy.
I saw that clip of him at Wimbledon last week. Offensive in every way. Maybe if he put in a decent shift at a hospice without cameras there he might be taken seriously
RL is full of people who have more morals than he can ever think about..... His association with our sport is based only on what's in it for him

I can't argue with your comments BB but I still agree with JD that it 's the title that's more important than the person who has the title.

rldfsignature.jpg

#44 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

[quote name="deluded pom?" post="2745631" timestamp="1373745546"]

I can't argue with your comments BB but I still agree with JD that it 's the title that's more important than the person who has the title.[/quote

I understand your point but I don't agree.

True leaders don't hide behind a title. They command respect by what they do and how they do it.

I know it gets us publicity & promotes the game. All good. But that's not what Cameron is about.

#45 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I understand your point but I don't agree.

True leaders don't hide behind a title. They command respect by what they do and how they do it.

I know it gets us publicity & promotes the game. All good. But that's not what Cameron is about.

That's not unique to Cameron, All politicians are in it for themselves. We just need to take advantage when it suits us as much as it suits them.

rldfsignature.jpg

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Mulholland is my MP

I've had lot's of dealings with him and so have pottsy, wellsy and gav wilson.

his constituency encompasses headingley, and the latrge rugby league supporting north leeds hinterland. he's also chair of the all party rl group

He's a lib dem, and so not of my political persuasion

His passion for rugby league is genuine, he's also a very hard working constituency mp

perhaps on this occassion politics and genuine feeling go hand in hand.

Not doubting any of that for a moment.  Its just that when a constituency MP does something like this, it is claimed by some to be altruistic, but when a PM does something, it is  political opportunism.

I am sure that Mulholland, like so many other MPs, is a hard working guy with the interests of all his constituents at heart. That important  part of an MPs work is really underestimated.

#47 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Not doubting any of that for a moment. Its just that when a constituency MP does something like this, it is claimed by some to be altruistic, but when a PM does something, it is political opportunism.

I am sure that Mulholland, like so many other MPs, is a hard working guy with the interests of all his constituents at heart. That important part of an MPs work is really underestimated.

True. It varies depending on the character of the individual though - as in any walk of life.

I've had dealings with a few. I wouldn't trust some of them cut my lawn......

#48 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

The World Cup is on the radar of Minister for Sport Hugh Robertson http://www.insidethe...f-british-sport

Robertson says: "After the Games the question I was most asked was 'how do you follow that?' But we have just witnessed a fabulous Lions victory in Sydney, followed by Andy Murray's wonderful win at Wimbledon, defeating the Aussies in the first Test and being favourites for the Ashes series, and Chris Froome looking set to follow Bradley Wiggins as winner of the Tour de France.

"Also, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we could have a British winner of the Open at Muirfield." (Which incidentally he won't attend because of the club's ban on women members. Quite right too).

He adds: "Then we've still got the rugby league World Cup and the international triathlon series in which a Brownlee – or two – might do very well. When I look at the results of the Olympic sports there is certainly no sign of 2012 being a one-off."

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users