Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4789 replies to this topic

#181 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Sinfield backs Super League changes

http://www.loverugby..._medium=twitter

Edited by YCKonstantine, 11 July 2013 - 10:05 AM.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#182 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

He does have a point it seems to me the small town teams have got there own way.
Really how many more times will the rfl more the posts for Toulouse, first go into cc play your players less and expect the best of elite to play for them please. Say oh your elite team is not good enough so you develop your team to at near top level have a junior academy. Then they say oh your stadium is not up to standards so you get council approval. Oh now you need a tv deal in a country where rugby xiii has never had anything but the elite final on tv only this year have we seen bein show some interest in nrl.
It is a f"""n joke, did London have to do this or the Celtic side no if they don't won't a 2nd French team then just say no not this strung out ######.
It is like leading the ugly girl along all through school only to say no I don't like you.

#183 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

I never knew Kevin Sinfield was so able to sound like a pre-written press release.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#184 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I never knew Kevin Sinfield was so able to sound like a pre-written press release.

He's been practising :)

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#185 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Sport may all be about who comes out on top, but professional sport is about much more. It's about strategy, marketability and the sport is essentially a product to be sold to the masses. This decision didn't take any of these factors into account, and there is no way a competent sports administrator like David Gallop or Richard Lewis would have allowed it to go through.

The problem is apart from Wigan and leeds there aren't any large clubs we can market to the masses as you say.   I don't think you realise that teams like Cas, wakefield, hull kr, london and widnes are far closer to the Championship clubs you mention in terms of size, marketability, potential etc than they are to the top SL teams.

Supporters won't move clubs....it doesn't work like that in the UK.......no matter what marketing you do........you'd have to wait til they all die out.

The difference between WIGAN and say FEV is not as you said like  "The English Premier League offering promotion to the winning Blue Square Premier team straight to the EPL"

Mansfield Town haven't won the FA cup 3 times

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

#186 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

The changes will make it more interesting for the small number of fans at a handful of clubs who dream of seeing their team get spanked by WIgan or Leeds once every two or three seasons. Well done, you've re-created the past. In the real world, however, sport is changing.

Hmm, play in a watered down, inter-village, provincial RL competition? Or play in the glamourous NRL or union internationals? What a choice! The current trickle will become a flood.

The top players are always gonna move to the top clubs if they are good enough.  We can't cling on to the false idea that Super league is an elite competition for more the 3 or for teams.  I'd rather all our top players go to the NRL....we'd have a stronger National team.

I don't think all our top players are that good to be honest.......if RL can't offer them the wages they deserve let them try Union or the NRL.......i don't think many would succeed.

And yes i'd rather see fev get beat 9 times out of ten against wigan cos there's still be the one when we win........that's sport.

#187 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

The top players are always gonna move to the top clubs if they are good enough.  We can't cling on to the false idea that Super league is an elite competition for more the 3 or for teams.  I'd rather all our top players go to the NRL....we'd have a stronger National team.

I don't think all our top players are that good to be honest.......if RL can't offer them the wages they deserve let them try Union or the NRL.......i don't think many would succeed.

And yes i'd rather see fev get beat 9 times out of ten against wigan cos there's still be the one when we win........that's sport.

So SL is only for 3 teams? You'd rather elite players go to union.

It shows you are only interested in Fev. Nothing else, and you don't care about the game of Rugby League.

the reason i'm so vocal about this is I love Rugby League, and to wake up this morning and read that one of only 2 elite competitions in the world is essentially dead, is pretty terrible news.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#188 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sport may all be about who comes out on top, but professional sport is about much more. It's about strategy, marketability and the sport is essentially a product to be sold to the masses. This decision didn't take any of these factors into account, and there is no way a competent sports administrator like David Gallop or Richard Lewis would have allowed it to go through.

so what you are saying is that the sport no longer becomes a sellable proposition if one of the bottom few S/L teams is replaced by a top championship side - have a word with yourself

the majority of the teams and the ruling body are all in favour of these changes to take the game forward or at least try to give us better than what we have got 

just because it doesent sit well with you and a few others doesent make it wrong,backward on less marketable

#189 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sinfield actually doesn't explain any of his bizarre points i.e. "Personally I like the proposed format and I think it addresses a lot of the issues that we have in the game at the moment". How Kevin? 

"The regular season will be similar to what we have now... but now the teams who consistently perform during the regular season can carry that advantage into the play offs". Kevin, this was exactly the current situation, this will not change with the new format.

Potential new supporters and people looking in on SL must be very confused.

#190 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

So SL is only for 3 teams? You'd rather elite players go to union.

It shows you are only interested in Fev. Nothing else, and you don't care about the game of Rugby League.

the reason i'm so vocal about this is I love Rugby League, and to wake up this morning and read that one of only 2 elite competitions in the world is essentially dead, is pretty terrible news.

That's not what i said.......If our elite players are so good that they are worth more than SL can afford to pay them then we should let them go..........i'm saying that i don't think they are that good............and we shouldn't reduce our game to a handful of teams funded to a point where they can afford to keep these players.

#191 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

That's not what i said.......If our elite players are so good that they are worth more than SL can afford to pay them then we should let them go..........i'm saying that i don't think they are that good............and we shouldn't reduce our game to a handful of teams funded to a point where they can afford to keep these players.

Parochial, backwater, inter-village sports competition here we come!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#192 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

This is excellent news for a large number of Championship and Championship 1 clubs, who - given the opportunity, have the potential to grow and develop if able to gain access to the top flight. Yes, I'm aware that promotion and relegation wasn't always successful in the past - especially in terms of clubs overreaching themselves financially, but these days we have salary caps and parachute payments to guard against that. As opposed to catapulting virgin clubs into SL and ultimately setting them up to fail, this might allow sides like Gloucester and Crusaders to initially find their natural level - i.e. the level at which they are best able to cope in relation to crowd figures and income. If they were to reach SL in four or five years time via the promotion system, they'd be established entities who are able to build upon a presumably solid base - as opposed to starting from a position where they have to grow at a ridiculous rate just to stay afloat.

Edited by TheTerminator, 11 July 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image

#193 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

We can expand at last without the flatcappers exclusive strategies holding us back and killing the game, vive le revolution
Bring Toulouse in SL1 with a self financed deal and 3 year protection
375k to the next level from the relegated three

#194 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

but these days we have salary caps and parachute payments to guard against that.

Just wait until your club gets a "parachute payment".  You'll see how popular that is around the sport.

That's me.  I'm done.

#195 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Exciting and popular parochial, backwater, inter-village sports competition here we come!

#196 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

the reason i'm so vocal about this is I love Rugby League,

It doesn't come across this way when you belittle clubs. Some of these clubs were founding members of the game you "love". And you don't seem to know anything about there size or potential.

Edited by a.n Other, 11 July 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#197 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Exciting and popular parochial, backwater, inter-village sports competition here we come!

And that's the truth of it. You don't care what the state of the game is overall, just as long as you get to see your team play in the top tier. Even if that top tier is a fragment of what it could be.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#198 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

We can expand at last without the flatcappers exclusive strategies holding us back and killing the game, vive le revolution
Bring Toulouse in SL1 with a self financed deal and 3 year protection
375k to the next level from the relegated three

You seriously think that this will expand RL? :D

It sends out one message 'This is a local game for local people'. Which clearly delights a lot of fans.

#199 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,600 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

correct

and there are people who want that

we now have a situation where featherstone will probably replace london-giving Super League(sic) three clubs within walking distance of each other in the so called heart lands, only one of which looks able to contribute to the competition long or even

medium term.

Or they could be replaced by Leigh or halifax, both of whom have a horrific record of going up and down in this kind of competition and who are likely to make no impact on that competition in the future.

As for Toulouse, you can forget them.

Somebody said that this was a triumph for Sid and Doris: how right they were

I think the game in Australia will become as insular as  AFL is and just get on with what it does-lucky buggers.

we have now set out a conscious strategy of contraction, parochialism, and isolation.

The sport is struggling to find a credible major sponsor for its keynote competition

I'm sure the owner of the local grime works will put a few quid over the bar.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 11 July 2013 - 10:54 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#200 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

It doesn't come across this way when you belittle clubs. Some of these clubs were founding members of the game you "love". And you don't seem to know anything about there size or potential.

Most of these clubs have been in the league since 1895 and it's still about *potential*?

I couldn't make it up.