Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4789 replies to this topic

#21 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

What about teams in Championship One then?

There will still be P&R from Championship into Championship 1.

Posted Image

#22 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

The game isn't big enough and hasn't got enough fans to exclude clubs, especially clubs in the heartlands where the games got its biggest following.
It seems to me that a lot of people on here want a closed shop sl with some expansion teams getting chucked in every few year replacing some of the smaller teams. To me that's just going to alienate fans in the championship when there clubs have nothing to play for and they'll just stop going. Clubs will either end up being feeder clubs or going bust. Plus surely it would be better for a club like Toulouse to come up through the championship than just being chucked into sl at the depend?

For me we need some form of p&r but with minimum standards where if you win your league and meet the standards set you get promoted, no applying and getting knocked back. Raise the cap in the cc so that the clubs that can afford to spend more can so there's not as big a jump to make if they do make sl, and introduce teams like Toulouse into the cc, give them the same chance of getting sl as everyone else. Give clubs something to fight for and it would make for more intense games IMO

#23 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Oh dear.

I hope we win this world cup with all of the great young players we have, because they can kiss goodbye to their chances from now on.
People called Romans they go the house

#24 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

As long as a robust criteria is set for promotion (a la RFU) then this is great news.

It will breathe new life in to the Championships, and with 6 clubs all but prepared for the step up we should see some cracking games over the next few years@

I agree completely with this, while the current system has helped push clubs to getting there houses in order there's still no guarantee of promotion from the cc. Promotion with minimum standard would be the way to go for me

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

I agree completely with this, while the current system has helped push clubs to getting there houses in order there's still no guarantee of promotion from the cc. Promotion with minimum standard would be the way to go for me

I suppose that is better than the discredited previous system
But it's just going to confine the game to its ghetto for the foreseeable future I'm afraid
Roll out the stereotypes
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#26 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wrong decision for me. :sclerosis:

#27 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

There will still be P&R from Championship into Championship 1.

All the talk has been of one up and one down but if Toulouse come directly in to SL, then 3 clubs will be relegated to the Championship and FIVE current Championship teams will be relegated in to Championship 1 with no-one promoted. I can't see how that will be good for the Championships!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#28 ChrisRover

ChrisRover
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

So Toulouse will get in at the expense of traditional clubs like fev,halifax, sheff etc. 

Its a joke and a real shame that clubs spend money improveing there grounds and building foundations to get in super league and the powers that be have no intentions of letting them go up.

Makes me laugh that Toulouse think there going to get thousands of fans at every home game just because Catalan played a game there and they got 14,000 fans or whatever the number was. Was proved a couple of years ago that that was not the case in the championship.

About time the rugby league bit the bullet and brought back promotion and relegationso that every game played is as important at the bottom of  the league than it is at the top.

#29 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

All the talk has been of one up and one down but if Toulouse come directly in to SL, then 3 clubs will be relegated to the Championship and FIVE current Championship teams will be relegated in to Championship 1 with no-one promoted. I can't see how that will be good for the Championships!!

So? With P&R back they will soon return to their rightful level.

Posted Image

#30 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

I suppose that is better than the discredited previous system
But it's just going to confine the game to its ghetto for the foreseeable future I'm afraid
Roll out the stereotypes

Why can't we have expansion teams as well keeping with traditional heartland clubs?

Why does it confine the game? Surely we can still expand the game to other areas but by building clubs up like we're doing now with clubs like Hemel etc by introducing clubs through the championship one so they can build up a fan base and a following and creating ties with local businesses rather than just chucking them into sl before they're ready and then watching it go up in flames ala crusaders and Gateshead. And by having p and r it gives the clubs something to play for. Just keep minimum standards

#31 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

:buba: :buba: :buba: :buba: :buba:

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#32 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Why can't we have expansion teams as well keeping with traditional heartland clubs?

Because we don't have the money, the players, the fans or the investors for that!

Edited by nadera78, 10 July 2013 - 09:37 PM.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#33 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

So? With P&R back they will soon return to their rightful level.

At one club per season I can think of some that wouldn't be around that long in the lower league to gain promotion. Look at the fear of some clubs at present of dropping in to Championship 1!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#34 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Why does it confine the game? Surely we can still expand the game to other areas but by building clubs up like we're doing now with clubs like Hemel etc by introducing clubs through the championship one so they can build up a fan base and a following and creating ties with local businesses rather than just chucking them into sl before they're ready and then watching it go up in flames ala crusaders and Gateshead. And by having p and r it gives the clubs something to play for. Just keep minimum standards

I can see where you are coming from but I just can't see it
I hope you got my pm sorry for the misunderstanding
Keeping it local

#35 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

So the two relegated teams will almost certainly struggle to survive in the championship without the Sky money. I assume broncos will be relegated which means no London club and the negatives that move will bring.

Each season the SL clubs panic buy overseas talent with the fear of relegation and the young homegrown talent are overlooked as a result.

There will be the yoyo club(s) who will struggle to survive everytime they're relegated having gambled on staying in SL.

Step backwards, but fair enough if the decision was taken for financial reasons and the overall good of the game. I am struggling to see the positives in this move. Sad day for Rugby League.

#36 Good Omen

Good Omen
  • Coach
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Does that mean that the playoffs go back down to 5 teams as a waste of time having 8 from 12 in there. Also what if the Broncos come bottom and Martyn Sadlers excuse that they are needed at the top table of our game

#37 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Almost more annoyingly we've currently only heard officially from Jon Wilkin where is our SL spokesperson?

Wilkin stated that our player pool was too low to accommodate a 14 team league and that teams were forced to buy overseas and spend beyond their means - what a load of rubbish. London Broncos have brought through many homegrown Londoners and assuming they're relegated will now be lost to RU or the championship - these players will not suddenly be spread between the remaining SL teams. This move of P&R will more likely mean an increase in overseas players as clubs fear relegation. Such a poor interview makes our game look like a farce.

#38 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

So the two relegated teams will almost certainly struggle to survive in the championship without the Sky money. I assume broncos will be relegated which means no London club and the negatives that move will bring.

Each season the SL clubs panic buy overseas talent with the fear of relegation and the young homegrown talent are overlooked as a result.

There will be the yoyo club(s) who will struggle to survive everytime they're relegated having gambled on staying in SL.

Step backwards, but fair enough if the decision was taken for financial reasons and the overall good of the game. I am struggling to see the positives in this move. Sad day for Rugby League.

Did SL clubs reduce their overseas players when licensing came in? Did they feck. However I would like to see overseas players cut to one per club in SL.

I hope this turns out to be 2 up 2 down because 1up/down aint enough for me and will not allow sufficient mobility for new clubs to SL. That being said, anything is better than the garbage system we have

#39 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Does that mean that the playoffs go back down to 5 teams as a waste of time having 8 from 12 in there. Also what if the Broncos come bottom and Martyn Sadlers excuse that they are needed at the top table of our game

They wont. Great battlers the Broncos. Cant wait for meaningful games to return

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Ee but waint it be great
If we dunt have t'same status as Knurr and spell a'hll show in big fat airy northern boil covered pustule pock marked tattooed wi a full sized portrait o Freddie trueman bitty in't middle o station lane
Ahm never reight me

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 10 July 2013 - 09:55 PM.

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users