Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4789 replies to this topic

#4481 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

And, by first in the Championship, do we mean Grand Final winners or Table Toppers ?

It has to be table toppers Griff as these figures are also to be used from 2015 onwards when the top 4 go on to meet the bottom 4 SL clubs with the only play-off for Championship clubs being the 5th to 12th teams for the Championship Shield.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4482 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

It has to be table toppers Griff as these figures are also to be used from 2015 onwards when the top 4 go on to meet the bottom 4 SL clubs with the only play-off for Championship clubs being the 5th to 12th teams for the Championship Shield.

Well, that's unusually forward-looking of us - planning for 2015.

Right - so what's the Grand Final Play-off series for ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4483 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,094 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Well, that's unusually forward-looking of us - planning for 2015.

Right - so what's the Grand Final Play-off series for ?

You know what it's for. The Super League title.

#4484 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

You know what it's for. The Super League title.

If only .....................

#4485 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

The top 4 of the top 8 play-off for the SL title. The 5th -12th Championship teams play-off for the Championship Shield and the middle 8 don't have a play-off just a place in SL!!!!!

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4486 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,094 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

If only .....................

I haven't a clue what you are talking about then.

#4487 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

And this, as far as I am concerned is the problem with our sport 
"I await to see how the Marwan Koucash way goes next year at the Manchester City of Rugby League." Oh, dear!
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is hardly the expression of someone excited about the sport, the new season or the interesting ingredients that the Red Devils will bring to the recipe no it's assuming it will all end in tears

Sadly you've posted nonsense, and what's more you only had to ask me direct.

I'll be following Superleague on a season ticket at one club, visiting Bulls, farts, Wakey and cas as always, wathcing all TV games, enjoying the debates on here whilst annoying people, enjoying the politics of the game and watching the rise of some clubs and personalities and the inevitable falls of others.

I'll be in my 50th. year of loving this great game.

I was down watching LMU in the RL cup saturday, great game great club.

Yes I believe the salford soap opera will not have a great ending but then again soap operas need some light and shade to be interesting and good viewing.

Yes I believe the new structure is pants but so what. It'll be fun seeing if some of us are right or if the others are wrong. Once it's chucked out I reckon a fantastic new structure will come in, can't wait for this year? I can't wait for any year with R.L. in it.

#4488 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

The top 4 of the top 8 play-off for the SL title. The 5th -12th Championship teams play-off for the Championship Shield and the middle 8 don't have a play-off just a place in SL!!!!!

That's 2015, Keith.

What's the Championship (for Dave's benefit) Grand Final Series for in 2014 ?  Some sort of sideshow ?

#4489 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,094 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

That's 2015, Keith.

What's the Championship (for Dave's benefit) Grand Final Series for in 2014 ?  Some sort of sideshow ?

The trophy.

Edited by Dave T, 04 February 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#4490 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

That's 2015, Keith.

Don't worry about it Griff, you won't win it anyway :tongue:

#4491 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Don't worry about it Griff, you won't win it anyway :tongue:

We'll see .......

#4492 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Right I am now very confused.
The last sky deal was £90m over 5 years, the current one is £200m over 5 years - is that correct?

I though the current deal was for £127m.

#4493 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

That's 2015, Keith.

I'd say it will be just as meaningful this year as any other Griff with a trophy and cash prize and sod all else.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#4494 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I'd say it will be just as meaningful this year as any other Griff with a trophy and cash prize and sod all else.

Bit like $uperleague then, Terry.

#4495 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Bit like $uperleague then, Terry.

Well, in a way, but you can't get any higher than the pinnacle of your chosen sport..
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#4496 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Bradford's demise was well documented, they didn't have money man, stretched themselves financially made a big mistake with the Harris saga made a big mistake with the cheap season tickets, the old ground was a millstone and they tipped over the edge. You can paint that as carefree heavy overspending if you want.

It may also suit you to join the small number of "we would pack in" merchants "rather than watch another club". Those who say nobody from Halifax watches Bradford, nobody from Huddersfield was born anywhere but Huddersfield, and Bradford people don't go outside their town boundaries. It's like the Hull/HKR argument where nobody will watch Hull from East Hull and will all turn to soccer if Rovers packed in.

Make something up and then use it as an argument. In soccer and RL audiences come from far and wide and local loyalties have declined massively.

People want top class RL the world cup told you that, unless you also subscribe to the silly world cup argument that the 9.000 at Rochdale for te Fiji game were all from Rochdale.

If you haven't the players but have the money in Soccer you can do what Manchester City do, import and the quality player base of the premiership becomes international class and stadia pack out. In RL where there are no real surpluses that's why SL is shrinking you can sign them off another club and deplete them instead.

Your next illogical argument that if you leave a club out of SL because it doesn't add enough to it you may as well leave them all out. It's the same simplistic nonsense that you should not have mergers because inevitably you'll have to merge Wigan and Saints. Well you just won't.

Another unsound argument is that the game has to keep all it's "core" fans happy ignoring the thousands who may come to matches if there's something exciting on offer. Thousands did go to Bulls thousands don't go to Fartown. My point remains that the game need one club per region to swallow as much resources as they can to increase the number of big attractive clubs.

They don't have to get 20,000, they just need to break even. The sticking point though is the quality of players, not enough are being produced, we have duff academies where it's easier to just buy someone else's players, and that's a big problem. What if all the chairmen decided to do that?

I await to see how the Marwan Koucash way goes next year at the Manchester City of Rugby League.

Bradford's demise was well documented, they didn't have money man, stretched themselves financially made a big mistake with the Harris saga made a big mistake with the cheap season tickets, the old ground was a millstone and they tipped over the edge. You can paint that as carefree heavy overspending if you want

So what's changed, Saying It's well documented cut's nothing, They will be still playing at Odsal, and there is no guarantee the rest wont happen again. as can happen at most clubs.

I don't think Bradford " nor do i want them to" will disapear, They have shown their worth in the past, But i don't believe if Hudd's /Fax disapeared tommorrow It would affect the bulls much at all,  It wouldn't give them a new ground, ( prob their worst problem ) and when people say they wouldn't go to watch another club, I believe them, I don't feel that way myself, but there you go.

I believe eventually there will have to be less clubs, Which those clubs will be I don't know, i have my opinions , but It wont be the ones without any money.

The world cup was a great success i agree, So are the 6 nations , Does that mean everyone wants top class Union. And quoting stuff about Soccer is wasted on me, I know nothing about it, other than there seems to be a lot of overseas players.

I have never advocated the merger of Wigan and Saints, You and I both know that, You just want to impose one set or your rules for some clubs , but a different set for others,  That's not how things tend to work, as in everthing else in life ,The fittest tend to  survive, You might not like that , but you won't influence it.

When we eventually finish up with the best clubs available in SL  ( Whoever they are, including hopefully some expansion clubs ) That will be great, But untill we get there we have to go with what we have,  and what we have is 2x12  3x8  It's not what i would have chosen , Or you, But we don't get a say do we, we don't invest millions, We get to put our opinions on here, and on this i suspect we will never agree, so we will have to agree to differ

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#4497 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

I know the title of all this is "Never ending...." but judging by the latest comments and 225 pages and many thousands of points of view and replies

don't you think it might just be time to call it a day and as far as the restructuring is concerned just "suck it and see"

#4498 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

That's 2015, Keith.

True.   I believe that there will be more interest at the bottom end of the Championship to see which 5, yes FIVE, teams get relegated.   That has to be a record for any sport surely?

#4499 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Sadly you've posted nonsense, and what's more you only had to ask me direct.

I'll be following Superleague on a season ticket at one club, visiting Bulls, farts, Wakey and cas as always, wathcing all TV games, enjoying the debates on here whilst annoying people, enjoying the politics of the game and watching the rise of some clubs and personalities and the inevitable falls of others.

I'll be in my 50th. year of loving this great game.

I was down watching LMU in the RL cup saturday, great game great club.

Yes I believe the salford soap opera will not have a great ending but then again soap operas need some light and shade to be interesting and good viewing.

Yes I believe the new structure is pants but so what. It'll be fun seeing if some of us are right or if the others are wrong. Once it's chucked out I reckon a fantastic new structure will come in, can't wait for this year? I can't wait for any year with R.L. in it.

Dont you watch Hunslet?

#4500 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,285 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Why does it have to be the table toppers?  It specifically refers to the top 2 in the Championship (clubs 3&4 in Tier 2 in 2015).  Could easily be the grand finalists.

And should be.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012