RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

League Express Rookies Social Media League structures I appreciate Why

• Please log in to reply
4666 replies to this topic

#4661 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

The fans have never ever been consulted.

SOME fans down Fev Ponte and Cas way took it upon themselves to have a "vote" of sorts with a sit in on the pitch.

At that time under semi pro league there were 12,200 fans watching at Wakey, Cas and Fev.

The few hundred got their way. Fourteen years later under professional Superleague the three clubs returned a total attendance this week of 11,700.

The junior playerbase is reducing in Cas, Featherstone have one junior club, and Wakefield don't turn out any great quality of young players.

The new structure is supposed to revitalise them?? Isn't this tragedy something worth talking about??

This reduction in crowds would suggest that SL has been a miserable failure. Lies, damn lies etc.

Wakefield and Castleford have been in SL all those years. Isn't part of the remit to develop and assist he junior base. Didn't you laud the number of players the Calder region produced on another thread as being just behind Wigan and Leeds. This was when you were pushing your amalgamation theory of a massive Calder entity to challenge the big boys. You can't have it both ways. Does the Calder area produce players it does it not. I guess it depends which way your weather vane is turning on any particular day.

The new structure is not in place yet. Jockeying for position is what's happening and it's two weeks into the season. It's too small a sample to determine if attendances are down or not.

There are other factors at work in your sample example such as Wakefield having just escaped bankruptcy, having sold many players and operating on a health and safety crowd restriction.

Castleford were at home to Catalan, a notoriously poor draw with Northern fans. Castleford finished in the bottom three last year. A few wins and the Castleford crowds will increase. Winning does have that effect.

Featherstone's crowd was excellent. I don't see what your beef is there at all.

If the lower crowd figures transalate to the full season ahead, you might have a point. At present you don't.

#4662 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

The fans have never ever been consulted.

SOME fans down Fev Ponte and Cas way took it upon themselves to have a "vote" of sorts with a sit in on the pitch.

At that time under semi pro league there were 12,200 fans watching at Wakey, Cas and Fev.

The few hundred got their way. Fourteen years later under professional Superleague the three clubs returned a total attendance this week of 11,700.

The junior playerbase is reducing in Cas, Featherstone have one junior club, and Wakefield don't turn out any great quality of young players.

The new structure is supposed to revitalise them?? Isn't this tragedy something worth talking about??

No Parky it wasn't just a "sit in" by a few fans.

Featherstone Rovers held an official ballot on the matter amongst the people who owned the club at the time i.e. the club members.

The result was in favour of going it alone.

Edited by Jimmy B, 25 February 2014 - 05:53 PM.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#4663 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Who is to say that the next Dr Koucash isn,t going to come from Oldham or Rochdale?
Thats why the new structure at least gives hope to all clubs.

If someone wants to pump millions of pounds into Oldham or Rochdale they'd get into SL under any structure.

That's me.  I'm done.

#4664 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

I know you have problems with Huddersfield but surely even you can see it's harsh to lump one club who have doubled their attendance with a club that has halved theirs and another that has collapsed totally and then claim they are all the same!

I've no problems.

The problems are entirely with the three clubs in your area. None of them have been able to make a fist of being a top Superleague club. One collapsed and never came back, another has to have £Millions pumped in due to public apathy and the third is now collapsing big style.

My problem is we know the area has the resources to build a club to rival or better the Leeds and Wigans of this world.

The clubs attracted 14,000 fans as semi pro entities in 1995, just like the steady demise of the Calder clubs if Bradford's crowds fall then your area will end up with less interest in Superleague than there was for the semi pro game.

Not my problem at all Steve.

#4665 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

No Parky it wasn't just a "sit in" by a few fans.

Featherstone Rovers held an official ballot on the matter amongst the people who owned the club at the time i.e. the club members.

The result was in favour of going it alone.

Come on then Jimmy, how many "members" was it?

Let's have the number??

Griff - do you have the number??

#4666 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Come on then Jimmy, how many "members" was it?

Let's have the number??

Griff - do you have the number??

A lot more than actually attend games these days.

And there's the rub - people don't want to lose their local team but don't really want the bother of actually supporting it.

• nadera78 likes this

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4667 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

A lot more than actually attend games these days.

And there's the rub - people don't want to lose their local team but don't really want the bother of actually supporting it.

That's the problem isn't it.

The members don't number enough to be representative of the potential support for Featherstone.

In 1995 nobody wanted to vote for anything but what they had.

Rovers members indeed voted to stay as they were.

Then when what they had voted for at Fev went down the pan 3,683 fans melted away to 800 ten years later.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users