Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
4727 replies to this topic

#4721 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,073 posts

Posted Today, 07:10 PM

Just been thinking about the "7nth" fixture for each club in the middle 8's. If the 2nd div club are not given the vital home game, how about there being an on-the-road game at a neutral venue in a development area for the second div club? So in Leigh's case it could be Bolton

Pushing the boundaries a bit too far there chief
I mean there's on the road and on the road and that's just too ambitious
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4722 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted Today, 07:38 PM

Pushing the boundaries a bit too far there chief
I mean there's on the road and on the road and that's just too ambitious

Bolton is only 8 miles from Leigh

#4723 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,073 posts

Posted Today, 08:15 PM

Which was the point
Keeping it local

#4724 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted Today, 09:01 PM

But light-years ahead.

#4725 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,771 posts

Posted Today, 09:07 PM

I think 'being as good as the clubs outside the top six' is in itself wishful thinking, and- please don't take this the wrong way completely unacceptable as an ambition .
The competition needs to grow and become stronger, not have more foot soldiers . Look at it another way. Two clubs with huge potential one way or another have been ejected . Is there a club outside SL with more potential than either if them. Look at the clubs outside the top six. I would suggest they all have huge potential for growth. Is there a club or clubs outside SL with more than for instance Salford?

I get your point Chris, but I believe that until the competition does grow and become stronger we need to hold what we have. Bradford will be back, and the experience of the Championship will do them good, and London will be back if people want it, but the Championship needs to be stronger, with a higher profile and TV exposure to ensure that kids keep playing the game in these areas. The game outside Super League will keep on going backwards without hope of promotion. With regards to Salford, it remains to be seen whether success on the field, which Dr.Koukash promises, results in big gates, or whether he would have got more through the turnstiles at Halifax?

#4726 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,073 posts

Posted Today, 09:30 PM

I get your point Chris, but I believe that until the competition does grow and become stronger we need to hold what we have. Bradford will be back, and the experience of the Championship will do them good, and London will be back if people want it, but the Championship needs to be stronger, with a higher profile and TV exposure to ensure that kids keep playing the game in these areas. The game outside Super League will keep on going backwards without hope of promotion. With regards to Salford, it remains to be seen whether success on the field, which Dr.Koukash promises, results in big gates, or whether he would have got more through the turnstiles at Halifax?

how is the game outside SL going backwards?

CC1 has teams from wales, gloucester, london, hertfordshire, and tyneside

we are told that attendances are increasing in the championship and the competition looks very strong to me, clubs have become more professional, although one or two have lost ground in that department.

I really don't understand that what you describe will ever make the comp grow and become stronger: just the opposite in fact.

Keeping it local

#4727 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted Today, 09:57 PM

Based on the cup attendance losses which I highlighted per club, that figure already amounted to over 300K. Clubs outside Division One in 1991/92 also produced cup attendances which would be unheard of today. For example, Workington recorded home attendances of 5,298 in the Challenge Cup and 3,499 in the Lancashire Cup, Oldham 5,814 in the Regal Trophy, Batley 3,089 in the Yorkshire Cup, Hunslet 3,182 in the Challenge Cup, Sheffield 3,227 in the Challenge Cup, Dewsbury 3,460 in the Challenge Cup, Hudds 4,799 in the Yorkshire Cup and 4,239 in the Regal Trophy, Bramley 3,484 in the Challenge Cup, Barrow 3,414 in the Challenge Cup. Swinton who were Division 1 but finished bottom and relegated in 1991/92 still recorded home cup attendances of 4,676 in the Challenge Cup and 3,285 in the Lancashire Cup. Estimating an aggregate attendance loss from cup games in the region of between 300K and 400K is therefore a not unreasonable estimation.

How can the decline in cup competitions and subsequent loss of associated cup attendances be down to anything else other than Super League?

I am not saying your are right or wrong. I just don't see how anyone can be so certain that it is purely down to introduction of Super League, as if fans suddenly decided that now we have Super League I'll not attend cup games..

I can certainly, if figures are correct, go along with the view that decline in cup competitions coincided with the introduction of Super League.  But that is different that saying absolute cause and effect.   Maybe the drop off would have happened whether Super League or not as there are other factors (e.g. season ticket culture took hold or it is always the same teams that get or win the cups, or that Wembley decrepit nature cause loss of glamour, etc).  You have yet put forward the proof that it was purely the introduction of Super league that is the cause of the effect.

It may be a pedantic point but my logical brain prevents me jumping to certainty's without being sure other factors are not at play.

It may be that the advent of Super League resulted in certain outcomes that impacted in cup competitions.  However I'm not convinced.it wouldn't have happened anyway because certain impacting decisions would have been taken anyway.

Edited by redjonn, Today, 10:05 PM.

#4728 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted Today, 09:58 PM

In reality, I think that over many years, the governing bodies, the club owners, the fans etc have been doing their best to make the game, the teams etc, the best they can. It may not always seem like that, of course. No one sets out to make things worse. However, as I have said again and again and agin, they are up against changes in demographics, transportation, lifestyles, competing activities ad more and these are things that they cannot change. I feel pretty strongly that in the SL/championship m62 catchment zone there is limited scope for real growth.one clubs gain turns out to be another clubs loss. Happy to be proven wrong after say 5 years of the new scheme if the total support increases by say 10 or 15 percent, but even that is chicken feed compared with what is needed. Thus representation in other areas is so so important and should be at the centre of our thinking. That London has turned out the way it has is so disappointing, but both Doncaster and Sheffield ..in what you might call ideal leagues territory have been even more disappointing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users