TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4789 replies to this topic

#41 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Does that mean that the playoffs go back down to 5 teams as a waste of time having 8 from 12 in there. Also what if the Broncos come bottom and Martyn Sadlers excuse that they are needed at the top table of our game

I think it means that the Broncos will struggle to make it through next season as who is going to throw away all that money on a club that's almost guaranteed to be one of the relegated two.  It's hard enough investing in a struggling club that you know is safe from relegation but I can imagine that it's a seriously depressing concept throwing money at a club for nothing.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#42 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

So the two relegated teams will almost certainly struggle to survive in the championship without the Sky money. I assume broncos will be relegated which means no London club and the negatives that move will bring.

Each season the SL clubs panic buy overseas talent with the fear of relegation and the young homegrown talent are overlooked as a result.

There will be the yoyo club(s) who will struggle to survive everytime they're relegated having gambled on staying in SL.

Step backwards, but fair enough if the decision was taken for financial reasons and the overall good of the game. I am struggling to see the positives in this move. Sad day for Rugby League.

I'm going to guess that ther'll be parachute payments again to help ease the distress

#43 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

As long as a robust criteria is set for promotion (a la RFU) then this is great news.

It will breathe new life in to the Championships, and with 6 clubs all but prepared for the step up we should see some cracking games over the next few years@

Just been looking at your Facebook release Gav. Amazing how almost all the comments on there are in stark contrast to the negativity on here.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#44 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I think it means that the Broncos will struggle to make it through next season as who is going to throw away all that money on a club that's almost guaranteed to be one of the relegated two. It's hard enough investing in a struggling club that you know is safe from relegation but I can imagine that it's a seriously depressing concept throwing money at a club for nothing.

Give over. The club has lost fans since the lack of P&R. I'm sure David Hughes was due to pack in even if licensing had remained. At least there is somert to play for at the bottom which will bring fans in. I stopped going several weeks ago for the same reason

#45 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I'm failing to understand the split option with three groups of 8. Sorry if I'm being dull but what exactly is being proposed here? I'd be grateful if someone could explain :)

#46 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Well, at least Leigh will be drawing 8k crowds again.

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Absolute disaster written all over it this. I can't believe they have shown such terrible vision.

This could well be the death knell for pro RL as anything other than a regional oddity.

#48 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'm going to guess that ther'll be parachute payments again to help ease the distress

Hope not. What I'd rather see is players contracts which are null and void if a club is relegated so that the club is not burdened with failures

#49 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

I don't know the figures but I am sure there's far less overseas players now than there were during P&R. It's taken some time but the licensing system worked in bringing through more homegrown players as clubs can afford to blood youngsters without the threat of relegation. Now we'll soon see a revert back to the panic buy of overseas players again. Clubs need to concentrate on improving their youth system and bringing through homegrown players rather than over spending on overseas players.

The same panic buying happens in soccer due to relegation and then clubs are screwed financially as a result. Only have to look at QPR - if it wasn't for the cash cow they'd be done for like Portsmouth.

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Give over. The club has lost fans since the lack of P&R. I'm sure David Hughes was due to pack in even if licensing had remained. At least there is somert to play for at the bottom which will bring fans in. I stopped going several weeks ago for the same reason

You seriously think they will see out the 2014 season?

#51 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Correct
Bye bye expansion

And expansion is going to happen under the current system?

#52 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

I am going to reserve judgement until the plans are fully defined, agreed, voted on, approved and in action.  Even the press release is equivocal: "once the RFL Executive has delivered its report into the 12-team Super League options."

#53 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Hope not. What I'd rather see is players contracts which are null and void if a club is relegated so that the club is not burdened with failures

And what player in his right mind is going to sign a contract which only guarantees one years pay?

#54 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

So far all that appears to have been decided is how many teams will comprise Superleague in 2015.  The method of maintaining that number hasn't yet been decided.  The clubs from the championships and community game will be giving their vote on how that is achieved.  The number of SL clubs was always a separate issue as only the SL clubs had the power to decide that (as explained by one of the council types from the RFL on Boots n All last week).  I would imagine there is the possibility of qualified P&R or perhaps even retaining some form of licensing.  I don't believe that the only two options on the table are those mentioned in the press release.  I think that is just RFL spin because their interest lies with the 12 into three 8s option.

#55 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

This is a good idea but would players sign up to this agreement? It would surely have to be agreed across all the clubs to include the contract clause.

#56 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

I'm in favour of 12 teams for Superleague.  It's our elite competition.  We don't have a big enough player pool to provide an elite standard of competition within a 14 team league.

#57 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

I don't know the figures but I am sure there's far less overseas players now than there were during P&R. It's taken some time but the licensing system worked in bringing through more homegrown players as clubs can afford to blood youngsters without the threat of relegation. Now we'll soon see a revert back to the panic buy of overseas players again. Clubs need to concentrate on improving their youth system and bringing through homegrown players rather than over spending on overseas players.

The same panic buying happens in soccer due to relegation and then clubs are screwed financially as a result. Only have to look at QPR - if it wasn't for the cash cow they'd be done for like Portsmouth.

I have not seen wholescale reductions or even rule changes to lower the influx. I dont like overseas players either, but why cant there be a 1 or 2 overseas player rule under P&R? I suspect it is the top teams who want to still be able to get hold of 5 top Aussies/Kiwis

#58 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

You seriously think they will see out the 2014 season?

Dunno - there is no P&R next year so maybe not!

#59 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

I'm in favour of 12 teams for Superleague. It's our elite competition. We don't have a big enough player pool to provide an elite standard of competition within a 14 team league.

Huddersfield v Catalans was a top 8 game and was garbage. It happens and will happen with 12 or 10 or even 6. What has happened is that people have kept repeating that we don't have enough players until enough started to believe it.

#60 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

So, what has been decided at this point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users