Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4789 replies to this topic

#761 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Not in my book, the top clubs in the championship will be given a £500K advantage to help them battle it out with the failed Superleague clubs.

There will be several Championship clubs who won't get a penny under this proposal (which it remains) but you should know that the Batley's, Dewsbury's, Whitehaven's and Workington's etc won't be chomping at the bit to get to Superleague. Ambitions for joining SL are clearly limited to Toulouse, Fev, Fax and Sheffield.

What the likes of Batley and Dewsbury will welcome is an enhanced fixture list, so I guess they'll be happy with that. They won't refuse it if the alternative is to go play Gloucester etc?

Well, I know you consider me a fantasy merchant but the Keighley chairman has publicly stated that they are aiming for SL and a 10,000 all seater stadium is being discussed with Bradford council.

As the SAS say " Who dares wins".  just so you know that's the Keighley chairmans ambitions, not what I personally consider realistic.

#762 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Well, I know you consider me a fantasy merchant but the Keighley chairman has publicly stated that they are aiming for SL and a 10,000 all seater stadium is being discussed with Bradford council.

As the SAS say " Who dares wins".  just so you know that's the Keighley chairmans ambitions, not what I personally consider realistic.

If I were a Bradford Council Tax payer I'd be up in arms if what you are saying even remotely looked like happening

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#763 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

If I were a Bradford Council Tax payer I'd be up in arms if what you are saying even remotely looked like happening

"Discussions with" could just mean "talking through planning permission".

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#764 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

"Discussions with" could just mean "talking through planning permission".

it's paying for the thing that bothers me

especially when you consider the priorities that Bradford MDC should be dealing with, and the diminishing ammount of cash it has at its disposal to deal with them. It would be an obscene waste even if there was the money to spend on this fantasy.

Keeping it local

#765 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

it's paying for the thing that bothers me

especially when you consider the priorities that Bradford MDC should be dealing with, and the diminishing ammount of cash it has at its disposal to deal with them. It would be an obscene waste even if there was the money to spend on this fantasy.

I've no problem with councils paying for sporting facilities up to, including and beyond 10,000 all seater rugby grounds.  As long as there is a high level of community use and benefit alongside that.

- Severus, July 2012

#766 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

I've no problem with councils paying for sporting facilities up to, including and beyond 10,000 all seater rugby grounds. As long as there is a high level of community use and benefit alongside that.

Me neither

What use would the keighley and craven area have for a 10,000 seater stadium in winter?
Why not just build the community sports facilities that would possibly go alongside

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 15 July 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Keeping it local

#767 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

According to today's League Weekly (make of that what you will) the redistribution of monies will be as follows:-

Option 1 - 2X12 format 2up 2 down -

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Championship: Top 2 £500k

3rd and 4th place £200k

Other clubs £175k - £150k dependant on finishing position

Option 2 - 2x12 3x8 format -

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Championship: Top £650k, 2nd £600k, 3rd £550k, 4th £500k

Other clubs £200k to £150k

Option 1 could go to 27 or 29 weekly rounds in SL, and will have a 6 team play off. Bottom team automatically relegated replaced by Championship top team, SL 11th place team joins Championship play offs.

#768 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Money makes the world go around, the world go around, the world go around! I'm loving this. Thank God for the National Conference League.

#769 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

it all sounds quit positive for the whole pro game "at least" at the moment

#770 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

According to today's League Weekly (make of that what you will) the redistribution of monies will be as follows:-

SL clubs £1.3m pa

3rd and 4th place £200k

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Option 1 could go to 27 or 29 weekly rounds in SL, and will have a 6 team play off. Bottom team automatically relegated replaced by Championship top team, SL 11th place team joins Championship play offs.

So they won't know what money they're getting until the season is over?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#771 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

You're just looking for excuses and reasons to moan.

Whatever is agreed will dictate what the prize money is in the 2014 season. 

#772 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Presumably it's equivalent to the prize money that goes from top to bottom in the Premier League (as an example?).

- Severus, July 2012

#773 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

How will that work for salary caps then?  I don't really get it.  Will there be the same salary cap as now for SL2?  Will it be variable depending on income and positional prize money?  If it's a single salary cap that allows for a low-end full-time squad, will there be revenue limits to stop clubs over-spending?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#774 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

SL clubs £1.3m pa

3rd and 4th place £200k

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Seems like a pretty fair distribution to me and it's very pleasing that all championship clubs get a significant increase in funding over what we get now.

What about Championship 1?  Any details on their distribution?  At the very least, the promoted team(s) need the same level of funding as those finishing bottom of the 2nd division.

Edited by Ponterover, 15 July 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#775 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

How will that work for salary caps then?  I don't really get it.  Will there be the same salary cap as now for SL2?  Will it be variable depending on income and positional prize money?  If it's a single salary cap that allows for a low-end full-time squad, will there be revenue limits to stop clubs over-spending?

I would hope that the cap for the 2nd division is high enough for the clubs that want to be full time, but low enough to prevent silly spending.

I think £1m would be about the right figure, maybe combined with a maximum of 50% of turnover.

#776 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

You're just looking for excuses and reasons to moan.

Whatever is agreed will dictate what the prize money is in the 2014 season. 

yes, yes, yes, good contribution. Thanks ever so much.

What I was asking is if this is central funding or prize money because it's not exactly clear. The SL clubs are listed as receiving 1.3m, which is what they currently get as central funding. But the Championship clubs' money seems to be listed as prize money. If that's the case then club's won't know what they're getting until the season is over, which makes it difficult for them to plan. As opposed to knowing up front what funding they'll be getting.

But hey, you just keep on contributing such diamonds of information, Ackroman. It's truly enlightening.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#777 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

yes, yes, yes, good contribution. Thanks ever so much.

What I was asking is if this is central funding or prize money because it's not exactly clear. The SL clubs are listed as receiving 1.3m, which is what they currently get as central funding. But the Championship clubs' money seems to be listed as prize money. If that's the case then club's won't know what they're getting until the season is over, which makes it difficult for them to plan. As opposed to knowing up front what funding they'll be getting.

But hey, you just keep on contributing such diamonds of information, Ackroman. It's truly enlightening.

The post made it clear how the money would be distributed and calculated, so by default clubs entering next seasons competitions will know what to plan/aim for.

#778 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ponterover has probably pitched a sensible level, however I'm more looking at the underlying reason for all this which IMHO has to be opening a half bust Superleague right up and if anyone has the money then come and get it spent. I could not imagine for a moment Mr. Abbott at Halifax, Mr. Nahaboo at Featherstone, or the collective of local government and industry worthies in Toulouse being restricted from spending right up to full cap and beyond.

The salary cap changes do allow for only 50% of income which is protective of the clubs, but there was the rider that if any director wanted to spend his own money beyond this then there was no limit.

Superleague is leaking £8,000,000 a year and Mr. Sadler suggests SKY won't be plugging that gap. I bet inceased attendances don't plug it and so you are left with private investment as the most likely source of big bucks - I don't think there is any way RFL/SLE are going to stop people throwing their own money at the game right up to the cap and as many millions as they want on facilities etc....

#779 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

The article I quoted from listed it all under 'central funding', but you're right, funding based on finishing positions is basically prize money, and I really don't know how anyone could plan based on possibly ending up getting 5 times less money than you hope for. What it also does is reinforce and probably widen the gap between the top and bottom clubs in the Championship. And there is also no mention of salary caps.

It's worth pointing out that the article does quote Nigel Wood as saying "Our task now is to drill down into the details of a range of issues such as minimum standards, financial distributions and the various mechanics around promotion and relegation". Which suggests that the only thing definite is that SL will have 12 teams in 2015, and yet they're apparently going to make a final decision on it all next month.

#780 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

What about Championship 1?  Any details on their distribution?  At the very least, the promoted team(s) need the same level of funding as those finishing bottom of the 2nd division.

No mention of it - in fact in all the stuff I've read about the restructure I've only read vague references to maybe running C1 on a regional basis, but nothiing definite. Yet, the plan was supposed to be to bring Coventry in next year. If they do that, they'll still only be 14 teams in C1 - hardly enough to split it into regional set ups.

When you think that 4 clubs have only just be promoted to make the Championship 14 teams strong to give them more games, and now it's being cut down again to 12, with 4 clubs having to be demoted to C1, it must make life very difficult for clubs in that position to plan long term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users