Actually, this deserves a better reply.
1. You say that I wish to discount the loss of RFL status and having to rebuild from scratch. On the contrary - those events of 1999 were caused by exactly the sort of misplaced optimism that you advocate. "Win the Cup and they will come."
2. Fourteen years ago, we weren't in recession - the economic climate is not significantly worse than that of today.
3. You say that Sheffield's attendances will be boosted by the new system. Will they ? That remains to be seen.
4. I find that history is actually a very good guide to what might happen in the future. What is so different in the future ? A new, complex competition structure ? Is that really enough to bring fans flooding back ? Sheffield just need to increase their gates by 1500% to get back to where they were 20+ years ago.........
1. If I have misplaced optimism then you're a pessimist
2. I am completely at a loss as to your economic comparisons of 14 years ago. Were we in recession or not? Is it worse or not? well clearly it is worse, much, much worse than 1999.
3. Being a pessimist you can't grasp what a positive attitude can bring.
4. I didn't realise Sheffield's gates were 15,000 back then so maybe you have a point after all.