Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Northern Ireland and the Battle of the Boyne celebrations

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I can't see anything possible that can go wrong with these huge bonfires so near properties...  And burning tyres is just so good for your health, just make sure the kids get a good whiff of it to help them coat their lungs for the winter.  <_<

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I can't see anything possible that can go wrong with these huge bonfires so near properties...  And burning tyres is just so good for your health, just make sure the kids get a good whiff of it to help them coat their lungs for the winter.  <_<

Load of rubbish, our scout camp fires were bigger and better and did not involve car tyres....although sometimes a drop of petrol would be used as a fire-lighter to avoid all that faff with kindling and little twigs.

28m391z.jpg

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

I think there is going to be a serious palette shortage come July 12th. Do forklift truck drivers take the next two weeks off as a holiday so that the stock of palettes can be replenished? Is it known as Forklift Fortnight?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

It's not a proper bonfire unless there is a 3 piece suite for the ladies to sit on until all the fireworks are used up. Then it gets chucked on the fire. Ideal for roasting potatoes in.

Black carcinogenic smoke? I should jolly well hope so; that suite cost a fortune when it was new and I wouldn't expect it to go down without a fight.

:biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

evil

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#6 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

The troubles as they were known are over but I think many people mistake this for being the end of all trouble.

I've said many times before as an Englishman previously living in a Catholic town, there is still a strong undercurrent of unease across the province. Much of it consists of this petty two fingers up nonsense at the other side. If you've never been you might be surprised to hear that every town literally nails its colours to the mast. You drive through all of these little towns and areas decked in flags and painted kerbs to make sure you know exactly what side of the fence they are on.

I've always been a proud Brit before an Englishman even but I hate seeing the Union Jack over there. I almost don't see it as the same flag as the one I seen flown over here.

The saddest thing is that they are almost powerless to stop it, it's so ingrained and they would kick up a huge fuss if they were even asked to take it down. It's hard to realise that these events are like Guy Fawkes night for their communities, they see it as more than just a big bonfire, it's tradition. I taught a few days supply in a Catholic school on the Creggan estate of Derry and they would decorate everything with Irish tricolours. In one assembly the head needed a piece of work to do with the Credit Union and she was struggling to find a poster without one on it.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 11 July 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#7 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Would love it if someone could erect a large union flag on top of the bonfire, the confusion it would cause deciding whether to go ahead and burn the bonfire would be something to behold

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

If you've never been you might be surprised to hear that every town literally nails its colours to the mast. You drive through all of these little towns and areas decked in flags and painted kerbs to make sure you know exactly what side of the fence they are on.

I've only been there once but it did surprise me. I had always imagined that Belfast and Londonderry were nightmare hellholes but the other towns were okay. I can understand why someone would want to live in Belfast; the city centre, at least, is neutral.

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

I've only been there once but it did surprise me. I had always imagined that Belfast and Londonderry were nightmare hellholes but the other towns were okay. I can understand why someone would want to live in Belfast; the city centre, at least, is neutral.

Just the Gunners who lost their lives in Northern Ireland

I grew up with Eddie tagging along with us older kids and on the day he was killed his section commander was also a Moorends lad who I had joined up with, My troop took over in the Markets area of Belfast two weeks after George Muncaster had been killed, Paul Jackson was the only member of my first Regiment to be killed in the troubles (6 Tours between 1972-84) Paul was the Regimental photographer and was called out to take photo's of a suspected bomb in a supermarket from the back of a Saracen armoured personal carrier, when he was taking photos through a small hatch in the back doors the bomb exploded and the blast forced his camera into his face.

Northern Ireland 1968-1998

(Deaths in Northern Ireland or as a result of the troubles in Northern Ireland)

Gnr Robert George Curtis (20) - RA.  Shot by IRA gunmen in New Lodge, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 6th February 1971

LBdr John Laurie (22)- RA. Died of wounds received in the same incident as Robert Curtis, 15th February 1971

Bdr Paul Challenor (22)- RHA. Killed by IRA sniper in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 10th August 1971

Gnr Clifford Loring (18)- Died of wounds after being shot at a VCP in Belfast, Northern Ireland, 31st August 1971

Sgt Martin Carroll (23)- Killed by IRA sniper in Creggan Northern Ireland, 14th September 1971

Gnr Angus Stevens (18)- Killed in IRA bomb attack at Rosemount RUC station in Belfast, Northern Ireland, 27th October 1971

LBdr David Tilbury (29)- Killed in the same incident as Angus Stevens, 27th October 1971

Gnr Ian Docherty (27)- Died of wounds after being shot in Stockmans Lane, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 31st October 1971

Gnr Richard Ham (20) - Shot dead in the Brandywell area of Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 29th December 1971

LBdr Eric Blackburn (24) - Killed in a bomb attack in Rosemount Avenue, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 10th April 1972

LBdr Brian Thomasson (21) - Killed in the same incident as Eric Blackburn, 10th April 1972

Gnr Victor Husband (23) - Killed by an IRA landmine Rosslea, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, 2nd June 1972

Gnr Brian Robertson (23) - Killed in the same incident as Victor Husband, 2nd June 1972

Sgt Charles "Chaz" Coleman (29) - Shot by an IRA sniper in Andersonstown, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 7th June 1972

Gnr William Raistrick (23) - Shot by an IRA sniper in Brook Park, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 11th June 1972

Bdr Terrence Jones (23) - Shot in the back by the IRA in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 11th July 1972

Gnr Leroy Gordon (21) 4th Fd Regt RA- Killed by an IRA landmine in Linaskea, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, 7th August 1972

LBdr David Wynne (21) 4th Fd Regt RA- Killed in the same incident as Leroy Gordon, 7th August 1972

Maj David Storry RA (36) - Killed by a booby trap in Andersonstown, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 14th August 1972

Gnr Robert Cutting (18) 7 (Sphynx) Cdo Bty, 29 Cdo Regt RA - Accidentally shot in the New Lodge area of Northern Ireland, 3rd September 1972

SSgt Craig John Gardner - Killed in an RTA in Northern Ireland, 19th September 1972

Gnr Paul Jackson (21) - Killed by bomb shrapnel in Strand Road, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 28th November 1972

Sgt Ivor Swain- 8 Cdo Bty RA, 29 Cdo Regt RA - Killed in an RTA in Northern Ireland, 23rd March 1973

Gnr Idwal Evans (20) - Killed by an IRA sniper in the Bogside area of Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 11th April 1973

Gnr Kerry Venn (22) - Killed by an IRA sniper on the Shantallow Estate, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 28th April 1973

Sgt Thomas Crump (27) - Died of wounds after being shot in Londonderry. Northern Ireland, 3rd May 1973

Gnr Joseph Brookes (20) - Shot in an IRA ambush in the Bogside, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 25th November 1973

Bdr Heinz Pisarek (30) - Killed in the same incident as Joseph Brookes, 25th November 1973

Sgt John Haughey (32)- Killed by an RCIED on the Creggan Estate, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 21st January 1974

Bdr Terrence Griffin (24) 88 Bty, 4th Fd Regt RA- Killed in the M62 bus bombing near Huddersfield, 4th February 1974

Gnr Leonard Godden (22) 88 Bty, 4th Fd Regt RA- Killed in the same incident as Terry Griffin, 4th February 1974

Gnr David Farrington (23) - Killed by IRA gunmen in Chapel Lane, Belfast city centre, Northern Ireland, 13th March 1974

Lt Col John Stevenson RA (53) - Killed by IRA gunmen at his home in Otterburn, April 1974

Gnr Kim MacCunn (18) 4th Regt RA - Shot by an IRA sniper in New Lodge, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 22nd June 1974

Sgt Bernard Fearns (34) 4th Regt RA - Shot by an IRA sniper in New Lodge, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 30th July 1974

Gnr Keith Bates 170 Bty, 45 Med Regt RA- Killed in an RTA in central Belfast, Northern Ireland, 4th November 1974

Gnr Richard Dunne (42) - Killed in an IRA bomb attack in Woolwich, 8th November 1974

Gnr Geoffrey Jones - 56 Bty RA - Killed in an RTA in Northern Ireland, 9th June 1975

Gnr Cyril McDonald (43) 18 Bty, 42 Hvy Regt RA. Killed in an IRA bomb attack at Guildhall Square, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 18th December 1975

Cfn Colin McInnes (20) 18 Bty, 42 Hvy Regt RA. Killed alongside Cyril McDonald

Gnr Mark Ashford (19) 19 Bty, 24 Msl Regt RA - Shot at a VCP in Great James Street, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 17th January 1976

Gnr James Reynolds - Killed in an RTA in Northern Ireland, 13th March 1976

Gnr William Miller (19) - Shot by an IRA sniper at a VCP in Butcher Street, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 3rd July 1976

Sgt David Evans - Cause of death, unknown, 21st July 1976. 

Gnr Anthony "Joey" Abbott (20) 32 Regt RA - Killed in an IRA ambush in Ardoyne, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 24th October 1976

Gnr Stephen Nicholson - Cause of death, unknown, 5th November 1976

Gnr Maurice "Spud" Murphy (26) 32 Regt RA - Fatally wounded in the same incident as Anthony Abbott. Died of his wounds on 22nd November 1976.

Gnr Edmund "Kraut" Frank Muller (18) 49 Regt, Attached to 32 Regt RA - Killed by an IRA sniper in the Old Park area of Belfast, Northern Ireland, 11th January 1977

Gnr George Muncaster (19) 55 Bty, 49 Regt RA. Killed by an IRA sniper in the Markets area of Belfast, Northern Ireland, 23rd January 1977

Gnr Paul Sheppard (20) - Shot in gun battle in Clifton Park Avenue, Belfast Northern Ireland, 1st March 1978

Gnr Richard "Dickie" Furminger (19) 170 Bty, 45 Fd Regt RA (Attached to 321 EOD). Killed by a landmine with an RAOC comrade in Cathedral Road, Armagh, Northern Ireland, 2nd August 1979

Gnr Alan Ayrton (21) 16 AD Regt RA. Killed by a 1000lb IRA culvert bomb in Glenadush, Dungannon, Northern Ireland, 16th December 1979

Gnr William Beck (23) 16 AD Regt RA. Killed in the same incident as Alan Ayrton, 16th December 1979

Gnr Simon Evans (19) 16 AD Regt RA. Killed in the same incident as Alan Ayrton, 16th December 1979

Gnr Keith Richards (19) 16 AD Regt RA. Killed in the same incident as Alan Ayrton, 16th December 1979

Gnr Peter Clark P Bty, 5th Hvy Regt RA. Killed in an RTA in Northern Ireland, 9th August 1980

Sgt Samuel McClean - Cause of death, unknown, 30th May 1981

LBdr Kevin Waller (20) - Killed in Northern Ireland, September 1982

Gnr Timothy Utteridge - 1st RHA. Shot on the Turf Lodge estate, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 19th October 1984

Bdr Paul Cree - Cause of death, unknown, 5th February 1988

Gnr Lyndon Morgan (20) - Killed by an IRA booby trap in Carrickmore, Northern Ireland, 26th April 1988

LBdr Stephen Cummins (24) 32 Hvy Regt RA - Killed by an IRA landmine on Buncrana Road in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 8th March 1989

Gnr Miles Amos (18) 32 Hvy Regt RA- Killed in the same incident as Stephen Cummins, 8th March 1989

LBdr David Sheppard 32 Regt RA. Died in Armagh City, Northern Ireland, 18th March 1989  

Maj Michael Dillion-Lee RA (35)- Killed by the IRA outside his quarter in Dortmund, West Germany, 2nd June 1990

Gnr Darren Oldfield - Death by "Violent or unnatural causes", 1st June 1992

Capt Nigel French - Died in Armagh, 12th March 1992

LBdr Paul Garrett (23) - 26 Regt RA. Killed by a sniper in Keady, County Armagh, Northern Ireland, 2nd December 1993

Maj Gary Sparkes RA (36) - Died in a Chinook crash in Scotland, returning from Belfast, 2nd June 1994

2nd Lt James C Fox - "Violent or unnatural causes", 21st January 1995

LBdr Stephen Restorick (23) 3rd RHA. Killed by an IRA sniper at a VCP in Bessbrook south Armagh, Northern Ireland, 12th February 1997

Gnr Jon Cooper - D Bty 3rd RHA - "Violent or unnatural causes", 22nd February 1997

Edited by Marauder, 12 July 2013 - 12:47 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Not true I'm afraid.

I lived in a town called Strabane, about a 25 minute drive from Derry. Both Derry and Strabane are predominantly Catholic but the small villages in between are protestant so the drive is filled with villages all of which have the flags and the kerbs painted in Union flags.

Strabane itself had a rough part of town which was renowned for republican activity and the town itself suffered from heavy bombing during the troubles. I was once told by my father in law not to speak when we were in a building in that part of the town.

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

On visiting Londonderry, I saw a huge bonfire near the outer wall and not far from many houses. Talk about safety!

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

I've got friends in Larne and I've been to stay with them, visiting belfast from time to time

in the early nineties it was an odd place. day to day life carrying on like anywhere else, but sgns everywhere that things were different-blue and white kerb stones on pavements in some areas, the local branch of Dunnes store getting blown up, murals and stuff.

My friends are catholic, but they were members of the rangers social club, evertone knew he was a catholic, and we used to go to quiz nights there, and there were some belting pubs althoigh they only sold guinness. They've moved to Donegal so I don't know what its like there now.

I lived in Glasgow during the marching season. What an eerie, menacing experience that was.

I'm currently writing a book with an ex green howard. He did tours in northern ireland and never fred a shot, or saw anyone killed or injured.

Keeping it local

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've got friends in Larne and I've been to stay with them, visiting belfast from time to time

in the early nineties it was an odd place. day to day life carrying on like anywhere else, but sgns everywhere that things were different-blue and white kerb stones on pavements in some areas, the local branch of Dunnes store getting blown up, murals and stuff.

My friends are catholic, but they were members of the rangers social club, evertone knew he was a catholic, and we used to go to quiz nights there, and there were some belting pubs althoigh they only sold guinness. They've moved to Donegal so I don't know what its like there now.

I lived in Glasgow during the marching season. What an eerie, menacing experience that was.

I'm currently writing a book with an ex green howard. He did tours in northern ireland and never fred a shot, or saw anyone killed or injured.

There is a saying about "keeping your head as low as a Larne Cathoilc". Perhaps assimilating into loyalist culture was a method of doing this.

#14 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

On visiting Londonderry, I saw a huge bonfire near the outer wall and not far from many houses. Talk about safety!

That'll be the Fountain estate. There used to be a lot of protestants in the centre and they have gradually moved to the outskirts and feel they have been pushed out. There is a small remaining walled community of hardcore loyalists. I applied for a job at the school (before I realised) and it was tiny.

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

There is a saying about "keeping your head as low as a Larne Cathoilc". Perhaps assimilating into loyalist culture was a method of doing this.

There are many Catholics with no time for it. My father-in-law is a very active member of his local Catholic parish but recently went to Buckingham palace for a garden party with the Queen. My mother-in-law is a lone Catholic in the local WI.

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

no he was a fairly prominent figure in the community: chsair of the lions, high up in the health service

Keeping it local

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

That went well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland-23299768

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not sure the hot weather helps.  Riots rarely happen in the rain...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Not sure the hot weather helps.  Riots rarely happen in the rain...

That the real reason behind using water cannon? Make idiots think its raining?

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,017 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Its about time this Orange Order stuff was ended. Looking at some of  the footage on the BBC News this was out and out thuggish criminal behaviour as yet uncondemned by the ignorant Orange bigots. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users