Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the game heading?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

I thought I would post a general thread about the game of Rugby League.

As a youngster i would stay up till the early hours of the morning to watch the Kangaroos and Emus play Ashes series against Great Britain and midweek club sides.

As I got older we would have late BBQ's to watch these same games, they were classics, 82 and 86 tours.

Kangaroo tours were eagerly anticipated and watching the Emus play some of the Club teams were just as good, Terry Lamb playing in nearly every game on tour, Greg Alexander showing his somersault over the try line in nearly every game he played.

The Test game has dropped away dramatically since those days and much of that has to do with GB/Englands  inability to compete or win a series, the Oz fans have looked inwards and put SOO as the pinnacle of the game, mate against mate, best against best. That should not have happened but the poor record of GB/England in the last 40 years has been a key factor in the rise and dominance of SOO.

Old Mate in the other thread is right, Rugby League will be Oz, NZ and some Pacific Island Nations going forward.

ESL is a basket case heading for the Abyss.

I wish it wasn't.

:(

Edited by AndyCapp, 11 July 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

NRL on its own the same as AFL

uk game on a par with knurr and spell

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

It takes a generation or two to start getting players through from development programmes

Catalans are just doing this now, as are the Giants really reaping the benefits, Londons list of home talent is superb

All about to be lost

#4 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

As Jack Gibson always said, success begins in the front office.

Oz (and by association NZ) RL is in great shape because of (generally) excellent administration from 1982-1995, and from 2002 to present.

British RL is in appalling shape because of its (generally) poor administration from ... well, for the entire time I've been watching it closely (since I first came to GB in 1990). But since 2009, it has really taken a dive in GB, and particularly the past year.

The front office … It's as simple as that.

#5 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Australia has always had Rugby League as a major Sport but is has grown and developed even with the Super League mutiny.

England seems to have withered on the Vine

Edited by AndyCapp, 11 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#6 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

The game as a whole needs to have a good hard long look at itself and realise that putting the international game under the auspices of a strong RLIF is the most important requirement for it to succeed. The NRL is obviously thriving and I don't buy the arguments that the game in the UK is falling flat on its face. What it does need to do in the UK is come up with a robust and coherent strategy to combat the real current issues:

1. Junior and Youth Development below the professional level

2. The financial and investment requirements of the game

3. A strong and robust structure throughout the game

There are issues in the UK but they are not as fatallistic as people are making out (bar the first one of course!). 12 teams is the correct call in my opinion for the top division (but must include Toulouse for the perceived financial/international benefits). What comes under that is open to debate but must be robust and stuck with, no matter what peoples' opinions are. I don't think we'll get that with the current regime in place...

Get the UK right along with the international game and we will have an excellent product.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Australia has always had Rugby League as a major Sport but is has grown and developed even with the Super League mutiny.

England seems to have withered on the Vine

Andy, it hasn't withered on the vine, it just hasn't grown at the pace as in Australia as we are a minority sport, not a major one like in Australia hence lack of exposure in the media, less money, little international success.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Andy, it hasn't withered on the vine, it just hasn't grown at the pace as in Australia as we are a minority sport, not a major one like in Australia hence lack of exposure in the media, less money, little international success.

Not being able to get Sponsors either for the SL naming rights or the World Cup sends a poor message to other smaller potential sponsors, perceptions are everything and the perception is currently that SL can not attract money or sponsors.

#9 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

edit

Edited by Jim from Oz, 11 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#10 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

But, it COULD grow – at a much bigger pace – with the right ADMINISTRATION , just like RL in Oz has grown enormously since the 1980s because of excellent administration

As I said earier (quoting Jack Gibson), success begins in the front office.

Edited by Jim from Oz, 11 July 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#11 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

the RFL insist the game in the UK has come on in leaps and bounds since the inception of super leaue, summer rugby and full time professionalism, yet the gap between us and the Aussies and kiwis is wider than ever.

What are the reasons for this?

Poor administration is definitly a major factor - We should never have ditched GB and we should stop trying to chase the Australians, focus on rebuilding the game in the heartlands, which is dying year on year, you only need to look at the financial plight facing clubs outside SL (and some in it) and the growing apathy of people in towns across the north who would rather sit in the pub than go an follow their team, but are quite happy to ask "how did we get on" when you go in said pub after the game.

The other factor for me is too many second rate inports blocking the way of emerging UK talent and too many clubs at the elite level, diluting the standard of the competition as we dont have such a big pool of quality to choose from (due to the imports) i having a huge impact on the international front. I doubt cutting super league to 12 will help this until we start limiting the number of overseas players - limit it to 1 per club, make it a competition rule and theres no way round it for clubs to bend the rules - like in Scottish football, maybe have another rule in place where you must play a minimum of 4 players under the age of 21 who have been developed by that club.

Basically, we need to get our own house in order and stop the ridiculous pursuit of expansion and chasing the Aussies.

Ill no doubt be branded a dinosaur and a pessimist, but in the UK we are a northern sport, and we need to get the game thriving again in its main heartland areas before we can begin rebuilding the sport at international level.

Edited by buford t justice, 11 July 2013 - 12:50 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

...yet the gap between us and the Aussies and kiwis is wider than ever.

It really isn't.

Posted Image

#13 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

What measure shows the gap betweenSuper League and the NRL is wider than ever?

Internationally we are no different

Club level we compare favourably at the top in the Club Challenge - not that this is a useful measure but its the only one we have

More and more UK player are going to Aus and performing at the highest level week in and week out

Seems in the main a) we can't tell or B) we are not far off them in playing terms

#14 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Rugby League is a great entertaining sport to watch and play.

If we spent more time projecting that message and less time navel gazing and picking fault in it, who knows how many new fans and sponsors we might attract.

The negativity surrounding the sport is suffocating.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

What measure shows the gap betweenSuper League and the NRL is wider than ever?

Internationally we are no different

Club level we compare favourably at the top in the Club Challenge - not that this is a useful measure but its the only one we have

More and more UK player are going to Aus and performing at the highest level week in and week out

Seems in the main a) we can't tell or B) we are not far off them in playing terms

Only from the win and loss point of view, we both send out two teams to play.   ;)

Edited by AndyCapp, 11 July 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#16 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

the RFL insist the game in the UK has come on in leaps and bounds since the inception of super leaue, summer rugby and full time professionalism, yet the gap between us and the Aussies and kiwis is wider than ever.

What are the reasons for this?

Poor administration is definitly a major factor - We should never have ditched GB and we should stop trying to chase the Australians, focus on rebuilding the game in the heartlands, which is dying year on year, you only need to look at the financial plight facing clubs outside SL (and some in it) and the growing apathy of people in towns across the north who would rather sit in the pub than go an follow their team, but are quite happy to ask "how did we get on" when you go in said pub after the game.

The other factor for me is too many second rate inports blocking the way of emerging UK talent and too many clubs at the elite level, diluting the standard of the competition as we dont have such a big pool of quality to choose from (due to the imports) i having a huge impact on the international front. I doubt cutting super league to 12 will help this until we start limiting the number of overseas players - limit it to 1 per club, make it a competition rule and theres no way round it for clubs to bend the rules - like in Scottish football, maybe have another rule in place where you must play a minimum of 4 players under the age of 21 who have been developed by that club.

Basically, we need to get our own house in order and stop the ridiculous pursuit of expansion and chasing the Aussies.

Ill no doubt be branded a dinosaur and a pessimist, but in the UK we are a northern sport, and we need to get the game thriving again in its main heartland areas before we can begin rebuilding the sport at international level.

Sorry, but I'm going to brand you a dinosaur.

Expansion is not ridiculous but necessary, and expansion does NOT mean the heartland withers. Quality administration will look after both.

#17 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Rugby League is a great entertaining sport to watch and play.

If we spent more time projecting that message and less time navel gazing and picking fault in it, who knows how many new fans and sponsors we might attract.

The negativity surrounding the sport is suffocating.

Bingo!

Posted Image

#18 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Not being able to get Sponsors either for the SL naming rights or the World Cup sends a poor message to other smaller potential sponsors, perceptions are everything and the perception is currently that SL can not attract money or sponsors.

But, it COULD grow – at a much bigger pace – with the right ADMINISTRATION , just like RL in Oz has grown enormously since the 1980s because of excellent administration

As I said earier (quoting Jack Gibson), success begins in the front office.

I've just read the press release on the RFL website what they are actually proposing. I am now 110% that Wood et al are complete waste of space and have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

#19 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

In Oz they are prepared to merge rivals and cut even the biggest and oldest names to advance the sport as a whole

In M62 land they are prepared to retard the games advancement and put back development decades to protect small mining village clubs and their own self interest

That's the real difference

#20 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

I really wish someone like John Quayle could/would come out of retirement/wherever he's hiding, take over RL administration in pommieland and make UK RL the powerhouse it should be - and can be …