Where is the game heading?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

I really wish someone like John Quayle could/would come out of retirement/wherever he's hiding, take over RL administration in pommieland and make UK RL the powerhouse it should be - and can be …

It will never happen with this current regime in charge.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#22 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Heading? Heading? Is somebody expecting British rugby league to move in any particular direction? Well, I suppose there's a first time for everything. My prediction: it'll move as it always has, in several directions at once, but always hovering over the same general area; always about to either die or take over the world, and never doing either.

There is one absolute certainty: whatever happens, RL fans will moan about it.

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

The game in England is at a Crossroads.

It lost the Test and International goodwill with its serious competitors (Oz and NZ) years ago (partly due to jumping ship to Murdochs game and partly due to never winning) it gave up on France to a point (bringing in the Exiles rubbish concept) after failing to develop them as a Test playing nation similar to what the NRL has done with the Kiwis.

Its expansion into Wales and London have failed badly.

What happens next will dictate the future of the game.

Edited by AndyCapp, 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,910 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Gave up on France? I vaguely remember us playing them last year in some sort of tournament, for which Australia and New Zealand apparently couldn't be bothered to turn up. We also played the Exiles in 2012.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Rugby League is a great entertaining sport to watch and play.

If we spent more time projecting that message and less time navel gazing and picking fault in it, who knows how many new fans and sponsors we might attract.

The negativity surrounding the sport is suffocating.

Why cant we enthuse our sport like they do in other code's?

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#26 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Ever since I've known rugby league there have been predictions of its imminent death.  There are more threats now but rugby league in the UK will still survive in some format as a professional sport.  I do see us going backwards a couple of decades though in terms of development.

There are a few big concerns I have though:

London:  If London Broncos go, I'm not convinced they'll survive at all, it'll take a particularly dedicated financial backer to keep it afloat never mind succeed.  Homeless and on a shoestring relegated parachute budget isn't enough to pay ground rent as a tenant anywhere within the M25 except for the smallest of grounds while still having enough money to pay for a scratch side.  Regardless of what some people think, a pro side in the south is a big draw for development and recruitment.  Shrink that back to Widnes being the most southerly pro side in England and you're instantly a northern sport.

Development Officers: Whoever thought that the game would do well without development officers strategically placed throughout the country is a blithering idiot who deserves to be removed from the sport for lfe (with no review).  Having seen the work that other sports' development officers do just to keep the game going at school level, never mind everything else, I'm convinced that we've saved a few beans this decade but next decade will see a marked downturn in the number of adults in the game just because of this one idiot move.

France:  I'd really, really love to see Toulouse do well and use it as a stepping stone to a proper French professional league in the early 2020s.  Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely they'll get a SL berth in 2015 as the bar is a bit too high to be realistic.  If they come into SL2 (or whatever it'll be called) then you're getting into the same problems as last time.  Even if they do get into SL, they're going to be highly reliant on the very fickle French TV to bring in more money to the deal and a relegation will see all that go.

Salary cap:  We're so far behind union now on salary cap terms that I'm genuinely surprised that more people haven't gone over.  It's even worse in France.  I think we'll reach a time when love for the game can only keep players for so long when they see even third-rate union players getting more than rugby league marquee players.

I could go on but I have to do some work today...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#27 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Why cant we enthuse our sport like they do in other code's?

Because we spend so much time focusing on what's wrong with it instead of what's right with it. We're always sending out negative messages, why would anyone new want to associate themselves with that?

For whatever reason, the RFL have embarked on a league restructure debate in the run up to a major World Cup tournament. Why now, in World Cup year? It's madness! The end result of it is that the game and everyone associated with it is looking inwards endlessly discussing its limitations, running down its existing competitions and clubs and making declarations of doom depending on which side of the restructured fence they sit. It is a totally corrosive atmosphere, pure poison to anyone outside the sport who will not give a toss how we organise the domestic league.

Instead of repeatedly pulling our own sport to bits like this, we should be projecting the enormous virtues of Rugby League to the outside world right now if we want anyone outside our enclosed environment to pay attention to it, which we desperately need them to in order to increase crowds and sponsorship revenues.

• ckn likes this

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#28 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

It lost the Test and International goodwill with its serious competitors (Oz and NZ) years ago (partly due to jumping ship to Murdochs game and partly due to never winning) it gave up on France to a point (bringing in the Exiles rubbish concept) after failing to develop them as a Test playing nation similar to what the NRL has done with the Kiwis.

We beat NZ in a 3 game series 3-0 not so long ago

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#29 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

In Oz they are prepared to merge rivals and cut even the biggest and oldest names to advance the sport as a whole
In M62 land they are prepared to retard the games advancement and put back development decades to protect small mining village clubs and their own self interest
That's the real difference

If our Admin is so bad ( and I'm not saying it isn't) and the Aussie Admin is so good we could always ask them to run our game too.
If we did you could guarantee that they would do exactly as Ant suggests above.
Ant is right we are too parochial.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#30 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

In M62 land they are prepared to retard the games advancement and put back development decades to protect small mining village clubs and their own self interest

That's the real difference

Which clubs are these you mention?

#31 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

I never thought i would say this, but my enthusiasm for Rugby League is dying everyday. The days of me watching my club play home and away are gone.I don't even post on here much to what i did in the past. I can't even be bothered to go to every home game nowadays. My late father must be turning in his grave with my lack of enthusiasm for our sport and club.

To me its looks like the flatcappers have won the day and that we will be just a Northern part time professional sport again in 5 years. We will return to being seen by people outside of the mythical heartlands as people who where flat caps and always walk around with our whippets. A great image for attracting big name sponsors

#32 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

For me the game is heading into a period of no growth, and will stay there until whoever is in charge at the RFL/clubs decide the current situation isn't working, as has been the case now. But rather than address the real issues will tip toe round it and look for an alternative solution which just pushes the issues away for a short period, only to be revisited again a couple of years down the line.

The game needs real leadership and people running the game with a great knowledge and ability to govern.

While we sit around twiddling our thumbs hoping an idea will work other sports are putting in the hard work, making the right decisions for their sport and putting themselves in a much better position to benefit financially from those endeavours.

Rugby League is a truly fantastic sport, with more potential than most, but as a previous poster mentioned, success starts in the front office, and at the moment the current group of leaders collectively couldnt even find the light switch in the office!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#33 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Ever since I've known rugby league there have been predictions of its imminent death.  There are more threats now but rugby league in the UK will still survive in some format as a professional sport.  I do see us going backwards a couple of decades though in terms of development.

There are a few big concerns I have though:

London:  If London Broncos go, I'm not convinced they'll survive at all, it'll take a particularly dedicated financial backer to keep it afloat never mind succeed.  Homeless and on a shoestring relegated parachute budget isn't enough to pay ground rent as a tenant anywhere within the M25 except for the smallest of grounds while still having enough money to pay for a scratch side.  Regardless of what some people think, a pro side in the south is a big draw for development and recruitment.  Shrink that back to Widnes being the most southerly pro side in England and you're instantly a northern sport.

Development Officers: Whoever thought that the game would do well without development officers strategically placed throughout the country is a blithering idiot who deserves to be removed from the sport for lfe (with no review).  Having seen the work that other sports' development officers do just to keep the game going at school level, never mind everything else, I'm convinced that we've saved a few beans this decade but next decade will see a marked downturn in the number of adults in the game just because of this one idiot move.

France:  I'd really, really love to see Toulouse do well and use it as a stepping stone to a proper French professional league in the early 2020s.  Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely they'll get a SL berth in 2015 as the bar is a bit too high to be realistic.  If they come into SL2 (or whatever it'll be called) then you're getting into the same problems as last time.  Even if they do get into SL, they're going to be highly reliant on the very fickle French TV to bring in more money to the deal and a relegation will see all that go.

Salary cap:  We're so far behind union now on salary cap terms that I'm genuinely surprised that more people haven't gone over.  It's even worse in France.  I think we'll reach a time when love for the game can only keep players for so long when they see even third-rate union players getting more than rugby league marquee players.

I could go on but I have to do some work today...

If London go thats Rugby League finished in London for good at professional level.

#34 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I never thought i would say this, but my enthusiasm for Rugby League is dying everyday. The days of me watching my club play home and away are gone.I don't even post on here much to what i did in the past. I can't even be bothered to go to every home game nowadays. My late father must be turning in his grave with my lack of enthusiasm for our sport and club.

To me its looks like the flatcappers have won the day and that we will be just a Northern part time professional sport again in 5 years. We will return to being seen by people outside of the mythical heartlands as people who where flat caps and always walk around with our whippets. A great image for attracting big name sponsors

The really sad thing is that there are some people who want exactly that - a small time operation, involving small clubs, playing semi-pro rugby league. Just so long as they can get the bus to the away game against their fierce rival in the next village.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#35 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

If we spent more time projecting that message and less time navel gazing and picking fault in it, who knows how many new fans and sponsors we might attract.

John

I could not agree more... And there is more to be proud of than the two reasons you mention..

However, I have been increasingly worried about the direction of travel and the abilities of the driver. I am so hacked off - I have ceased posting and debating.

I find it extremely worrying that the calibre of the person at the helm does not attract quality sponsorship, appears abrasive and amateur to the media and possesses a narrow band of past experience.

I have a genuine fear for our future and can only hope that at some point - a quality and deserving person is appointed to the pinnacle of our system.

:(  :(  :(

#36 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

The really sad thing is that there are some people who want exactly that - a small time operation, involving small clubs, playing semi-pro rugby league. Just so long as they can get the bus to the away game against their fierce rival in the next village.

I'm sure when the local derbys take place between, Fev, Cas, and Wakey the whole of the UK will be on the edge of their seats with excitment. Think of all the locals going to watch them game's on the bus.The bus comoanies will be delighted with the trade. 

#37 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Perfect summary and me too - Subscribing to Premier Sport next year. Of the 12 people who used to go home and away with us - none are involved or attend games anymore.

#38 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

This

#39 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Agree with you on the rubbish exiles concept, I'd rather watch a game of union than watch that non event. I really thought we were on the verge of something very big in international rugby league after the 95' world cup, what with Wales having a great side and selling out games in Wales but it was as usual not to be.

#40 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Which clubs are these you mention?

All of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users