Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the game heading?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

All of them.

Every club in SL and the Championship?

#42 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yes.

In all seriousness while I'm desperate to see my team in Superleague (and in all honesty think this will see them secure for years) if the advancement of the game meant they had to go then I'd accept that, so long as it was to advance the fortunes of RL as a whole and not like when the league was split up originally and like when SL was first spawned both of which probably owed more to back handers and dodgy deals in car parks

#43 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

So let's see, the game is doomed to a lingering death as a part-time village sport, but if they just took the right decisions it would become a massive sport able to attract top flight sponsors and compete with RU and the NRL ...

... nope, can't see either of those happening. I dunno what you're all getting aerated about, whatever setup is chosen will get changed again as soon as they get fed up of it, and everybody will moan about that, too.

#44 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

The issue is the present situation is the best one we've ever had

It's still flawed and still needs improving yes - but it's a hell of a lot better than what proceeded it, which is what we are returning to!

Fix the system we have, don't abandon it the moment something in the wider world upsets it

#45 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

like when SL was first spawned both of which probably owed more to back handers and dodgy deals in car parks

It was based on League position and the introduction of a French team.

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,547 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

If London go thats Rugby League finished in London for good at professional level.

a bad season for Catalan and that's them sorted

there'll be some happy people in the backwoods

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Fortunately it's most likely the backwoods types will be likely to be the ones to fall foul first...

I predict London will have a stormer next season

#48 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,547 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Because we spend so much time focusing on what's wrong with it instead of what's right with it. We're always sending out negative messages, why would anyone new want to associate themselves with that?

For whatever reason, the RFL have embarked on a league restructure debate in the run up to a major World Cup tournament. Why now, in World Cup year? It's madness! The end result of it is that the game and everyone associated with it is looking inwards endlessly discussing its limitations, running down its existing competitions and clubs and making declarations of doom depending on which side of the restructured fence they sit. It is a totally corrosive atmosphere, pure poison to anyone outside the sport who will not give a toss how we organise the domestic league.

Instead of repeatedly pulling our own sport to bits like this, we should be projecting the enormous virtues of Rugby League to the outside world right now if we want anyone outside our enclosed environment to pay attention to it, which we desperately need them to in order to increase crowds and sponsorship revenues.

a big change of policy like this is bound to get a reaction John.

Once people have got their thoughts off their chests, it will settle down to the usual people who think that everything is unfair and unjust, only now they'll have something else to whinge about that's unfair and unjust, because they've got their on way on this one.

I'm hugely dissappointed by this, but I'll let the luddites get on with it once the post mortem is over There are far more important things to get upset about.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#49 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

i'm sorry but a long time ago some of us predicted that it wouldn't be a case of the part time clubs having to catch up to the full time superleague, rather the superleague clubs would come back to the part timers, and this is the start of that process. supeleague has proved to be unsustainable, and that is not down to flatcappers, or anyone else , other than the people charged with running the sport.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#50 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

My negativity at the moment is a direct result of the hurt and pain of watching the game I love, consistently shooting itself in the foot with weak decisions from the governing body.

This frustration is heightened when I see the massive publicity, sponsorship and general fawning currently being given to an inferior code of rugby.  

We need strong leadership from the top (with new people in charge who have a track record of successful administration of a major sport).  Would another sport react to a request to scrap it's under 20's competition to save £100k a year?  No chance!  What the RFL needed to do was stay strong insist all clubs ran all junior age groups or they wouldn't receive their full Sky funding as they were damaging the future growth of the game.  The bottom line is if Fev and Sheffiled can run teams at all levels, without the benefit of central funding, then there is no excuse for SL clubs.

I'm sick of hearing that our game needs to shrink as the "player pool isn't large enough".  Rubbish!  The pool is only shrinking because insufficient time, funding and coaching are being applied to junior development in this country.  If we continue to pull in tighter to save money the game will eventually die at a professional level. So we may have a few years where the standard goes down if a lot of young kids are introduced, but this will soon improve whilst strenghening the national team for the future.

Why have the RFL taken the positive steps of introducing 3 new teams to Championship 1, only 6 months later to look to move the goalposts by aiming to restructure the league system?  There are countless other examples of short-termism and papering over the cracks.  RL fans are passionate about their sport by nature.  Why do we have to keep putting up with this ineptitude?

In answer to the original OP, RL in this country has no direction, no clear plan for growth, no strong leadership at RFL level and little media profile.  In the next 5 years I believe the best we can hope from the current regime is to stay still.  Now is the time to draw a line in the sand and appoint someone with the guts to stand up to the SL clubs who want the game run for their own benefit.  An ideal candidate IMO would have been Jim Doyle, the Scotsman who turned NZRL around.  He has now joined the NRL but could he be tempted over?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#51 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

In answer to the original OP, RL in this country has no direction, no clear plan for growth, no strong leadership at RFL level and little media profile.  In the next 5 years I believe the best we can hope from the current regime is to stay still.  Now is the time to draw a line in the sand and appoint someone with the guts to stand up to the SL clubs who want the game run for their own benefit. 

Excellent post. I complete agree. I share the same thoughts as JD, Ckn et al about the game and the direction it is heading. Wood, Rimmer et al are not fit for purpose. The real issues in the game are staring the RFL and this current regime in the face and they are not doing anything about it other than coming up with cheap gimmicks which they hope will paper over the cracks developing for a short period. Barking mad.

On another note, Andy Capp, it is about time Australia's dropped their issue with the game in the UK over the SL war. It is 17/18 years ago now. If you have allowed your own clubs who moved across to Murdoch back into the fold, it is certainly time to let things go. We forgave the Germans faster about WWII... Get over it.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

The game will probably become a decent amateur sport played in many places it wasn't before. But it will never be as big as it could have been. The boat for that has sailed, especially given the throwing away of the paddle yesterday.

#53 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

It really isn't.

You cant watch many games then.

The quality on display week in week out in the NRL is far superior to super league, hence the Aussies could field 8 national teams, all of whom would beat England.

Thats the problem, too many imports and not enough quality UK players.

Not much of an RL journalist if you havent noticed that Gavin - you may get a job at the RFL one day though being so blinkered.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#54 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

You cant watch many games then.

The quality on display week in week out in the NRL is far superior to super league, hence the Aussies could field 8 national teams, all of whom would beat England.

Thats the problem, too many imports and not enough quality UK players.

Not much of an RL journalist if you havent noticed that Gavin - you may get a job at the RFL one day though being so blinkered.

I watch the NRL, its great. Its better than Superleague and so it should be, its Australia's number 1 sport.

Its completely irrelevant whether or not they can field 8 national teams that can beat us, because they can only field 1.

And with that 1 team, we can compete with them. We obviously don't always win, but we compete.

Which is about right for a sport of its stature in the UK.

Posted Image

#55 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

I watch the NRL, its great. Its better than Superleague and so it should be, its Australia's number 1 sport.

Its completely irrelevant whether or not they can field 8 national teams that can beat us, because they can only field 1.

And with that 1 team, we can compete with them. We obviously don't always win, but we compete.

Which is about right for a sport of its stature in the UK.

So basically you are saying the gap is as wide if not wider than its ever been then, which contradicts what you said earlier 'it really isnt'

Get your CV in to Red Hall, blinkered and contradicting yourself - 2 of the essential qualities.

#56 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

So basically you are saying the gap is as wide if not wider than its ever been then, which contradicts what you said earlier 'it really isnt'

The gap isn't wider, because we still compete with them. Just like we did in the 80's, 90's and 00's.

Posted Image

#57 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

FFS if 500,000 turn up to watch the World Cup over 5 weeks where will this put International RL?

One of my greatest moments as a kid was getting up early to see GB play Australia down under in 1988. Looking back on this now my conclusion is we competed well in test 1 and won test 3 - but also there was nobody in the SFS to watch them! In 1984 the crowds are worse. Rose tinted and all that.

Edited by Scubby, 11 July 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#58 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

The gap isn't wider, because we still compete with them. Just like we did in the 80's, 90's and 00's.

You really are a poor journalist, the whole point of this thread is about where the game is headed and why we cant beat the Aussies at international level - this goes far beyond results on the field.

The quality of the NRL is a lot better than in the UK.

They have far more resources than us.

They have a bigger player pool.

They are now even taking our best players to play over there .

The game in OZ is thriving.

The game in the UK is dying on its backside.

We are no closer to beating them now than weve ever been.

They have a bigger cap and a governing body who stick with what has always worked for them. We have Wood and Rimmer.

Id say in the big picture, the gap is growing every year - they prosper while we stagnate.

Edited by buford t justice, 11 July 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#59 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

You really are a poor journalist, the whole point of this thread is about where the game is headed and why we cant beat the Aussies at international level - this goes far beyond results on the field.

The quality of the NRL is a lot better than in the UK.

They have far more resources than us.

They have a bigger player pool.

They are now even taking our best players to play over there .

The game in OZ is thriving.

The game in the UK is dying on its backside.

We are no closer to beating them now than weve ever been.

They have a bigger cap and a governing body who stick with what has always worked for them. We have Wood and Rimmer.

Id say in the big picture, the gap is growing every year - they prosper while we stagnate.

Cool meltdown Bro. We still compete though.

Edited by Gav Wilson, 11 July 2013 - 08:10 PM.

Posted Image

#60 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

I suggest that people listen carefully to Nigel  Wood's  interview on SLTV  

.He seems to be trying to extract money from SL to filter down the game. , especially to a hopeful newly  invigorated and thereafter almost full time pro Championship.  Championship One is likely to be regionalized - north and south. , so the player pathway remains protected.....

At the last full  Council meeting of the RFL papers were received suggesting that an Under 23's be re-introduced  and that as a direct  consequence the hideous dual reg would be abandoned , that the Academies be limited to  max 10 outlets only ( based on results confirming pro contracts at that level and not SL clout ) and that the highly damaging Scholarship programmes be re-visited urgently.

I remain hopeful that a truly game wide review is in progress

It's the grassroots that count , after all  This game has to produce it's own players  - we are  totally unsustainable otherwise - where else do the players come from ?

For me . take 20% of the Sky monies and put it into  properly KPI  acceptable Community clubs with junior sections ( Club mark ) The results will follow within 5 years.....

And that's where the real debate lies........