TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the game heading?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

I suggest that people listen carefully to Nigel  Wood's  interview on SLTV  

.He seems to be trying to extract money from SL to filter down the game. , especially to a hopeful newly  invigorated and thereafter almost full time pro Championship.  Championship One is likely to be regionalized - north and south. , so the player pathway remains protected.....

At the last full  Council meeting of the RFL papers were received suggesting that an Under 23's be re-introduced  and that as a direct  consequence the hideous dual reg would be abandoned , that the Academies be limited to  max 10 outlets only ( based on results confirming pro contracts at that level and not SL clout ) and that the highly damaging Scholarship programmes be re-visited urgently.

I remain hopeful that a truly game wide review is in progress

It's the grassroots that count , after all  This game has to produce it's own players  - we are  totally unsustainable otherwise - where else do the players come from ?

For me . take 20% of the Sky monies and put it into  properly KPI  acceptable Community clubs with junior sections ( Club mark ) The results will follow within 5 years.....

And that's where the real debate lies........

Every penny we have should be targeted on two areas - creating an elite, competitive, professional SL, and funding the community game.

Wasting money on Championship clubs paying part-timers does nothing for our sport. Nothing.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#62 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Cool meltdown Bro. We still compete though.

Hardly a meltdown 'bro' just cold hard facts.

if you're happy to be 'competing' while the game crumbles around you then im made up for you.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#63 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Every penny we have should be targeted on two areas - creating an elite, competitive, professional SL, and funding the community game.

Wasting money on Championship clubs paying part-timers does nothing for our sport. Nothing.

I'll take as much investment for the Community game as I can..

But  Chris Hill and Alex Walmesley could do a job for us in the World Cup  , so I'm not prepared to leave Championship graduates out of the mix Nadera - this is a whole game approach after all......

#64 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

But  Chris Hill and Alex Walmesley could do a job for us in the World Cup  , so I'm not prepared to leave Championship graduates out of the mix Nadera - this is a whole game approach after all......

I am quite happy there is a whole game approach but if they get the structures wrong with the review, it's going to do a lot of damage. However, thanks for putting a bit of meat on the bones ref the wider game. We've heard very little about this and is the area I think most urgently needs addressing. Can you clarify what you mean by 10 outlets?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#65 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Most of the moaning posters are the main reason for any decline. Regardless of what you think about England playing exiles or France there isn't another pro sport that would see such a farcical turnout. Maybe it is down to the lack of wealth of rugby fans but I think it is just that they like to moan. Rl fans will be what kills the sport

#66 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Just watched the Nigel Wood interview you mentioned earlier.

I find it astonishing that anyone, least of all an experienced sports administrator, can argue that the way to create an England team capable of beating Australia is to fund the Championship clubs so that they can bridge the gap to SL. You do it by having a top-notch development programme at community level and then having an elite competition for the talented players to play in as adults.

Hill and Walmsley are good players, but you could argue that the fact they've come into SL via the Championship shows the current system is working.

#67 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Rugby League is a great entertaining sport to watch and play.

If we spent more time projecting that message and less time navel gazing and picking fault in it, who knows how many new fans and sponsors we might attract.

The negativity surrounding the sport is suffocating.

but john don't you think that the heirarchy of the game in this country lend themselves to negativity? this season has been the most competetive super league since the switch to summer rugby, this in my opinion is due to licensing and the narrowing of the gap between the haves and have nots. so what do the gruesome twosome do? wnat to revert back to the bad old days on boom and bust club management, this has failed in the past and will fail again in the future, the development of the academy structures will be throw out of the window if a club has a bad season and looks like finishing bottom and be relegated. back will come the clamour to sign third rate antipodean journeymen just to hop to secure super league status, and the youngsters will end up either at championship clubs or worse.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#68 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

On the few Aussie forums I'm on the league fans down there seem to whinge no more or less about the state of the game and their administration as we do here, particularly throughout the Gallop era. A fair share of people don't have much good to say about the new guy Smith, either.

If whinging fans truly decided the success of a sport then the SL and NRL should be in the same boat, shouldn't they? Instead the Aussies are doing really well for all their whinging and negativity. Could it be because they run their sport properly?

#69 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

The really sad thing is that there are some people who want exactly that - a small time operation, involving small clubs, playing semi-pro rugby league. Just so long as they can get the bus to the away game against their fierce rival in the next village.

you are not wrong.

#70 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

Because we spend so much time focusing on what's wrong with it instead of what's right with it. We're always sending out negative messages, why would anyone new want to associate themselves with that?

For whatever reason, the RFL have embarked on a league restructure debate in the run up to a major World Cup tournament. Why now, in World Cup year? It's madness! The end result of it is that the game and everyone associated with it is looking inwards endlessly discussing its limitations, running down its existing competitions and clubs and making declarations of doom depending on which side of the restructured fence they sit. It is a totally corrosive atmosphere, pure poison to anyone outside the sport who will not give a toss how we organise the domestic league.

Instead of repeatedly pulling our own sport to bits like this, we should be projecting the enormous virtues of Rugby League to the outside world right now if we want anyone outside our enclosed environment to pay attention to it, which we desperately need them to in order to increase crowds and sponsorship revenues.
[/

Restructuring must be sorted before new TV deals are signed, surely you know this.

#71 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

If our Admin is so bad ( and I'm not saying it isn't) and the Aussie Admin is so good we could always ask them to run our game too.
If we did you could guarantee that they would do exactly as Ant suggests above.
Ant is right we are too parochial.

A great quote or truism from the US goes along the lines of " All politics is local". The strength of the clubs directly mirrors the strength of the game as a whole.

If Wigan or anyone else don 't take care of their local and parochial affairs, the whole game will suffer.

#72 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

It was based on League position and the introduction of a French team.

How did London end up as a SL team then?

#73 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

My negativity at the moment is a direct result of the hurt and pain of watching the game I love, consistently shooting itself in the foot with weak decisions from the governing body.

This frustration is heightened when I see the massive publicity, sponsorship and general fawning currently being given to an inferior code of rugby.  

We need strong leadership from the top (with new people in charge who have a track record of successful administration of a major sport).  Would another sport react to a request to scrap it's under 20's competition to save £100k a year?  No chance!  What the RFL needed to do was stay strong insist all clubs ran all junior age groups or they wouldn't receive their full Sky funding as they were damaging the future growth of the game.  The bottom line is if Fev and Sheffiled can run teams at all levels, without the benefit of central funding, then there is no excuse for SL clubs.

I'm sick of hearing that our game needs to shrink as the "player pool isn't large enough".  Rubbish!  The pool is only shrinking because insufficient time, funding and coaching are being applied to junior development in this country.  If we continue to pull in tighter to save money the game will eventually die at a professional level. So we may have a few years where the standard goes down if a lot of young kids are introduced, but this will soon improve whilst strenghening the national team for the future.

Why have the RFL taken the positive steps of introducing 3 new teams to Championship 1, only 6 months later to look to move the goalposts by aiming to restructure the league system?  There are countless other examples of short-termism and papering over the cracks.  RL fans are passionate about their sport by nature.  Why do we have to keep putting up with this ineptitude?

In answer to the original OP, RL in this country has no direction, no clear plan for growth, no strong leadership at RFL level and little media profile.  In the next 5 years I believe the best we can hope from the current regime is to stay still.  Now is the time to draw a line in the sand and appoint someone with the guts to stand up to the SL clubs who want the game run for their own benefit.  An ideal candidate IMO would have been Jim Doyle, the Scotsman who turned NZRL around.  He has now joined the NRL but could he be tempted over?

Well said.

#74 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

A great quote or truism from the US goes along the lines of " All politics is local". The strength of the clubs directly mirrors the strength of the game as a whole.

If Wigan or anyone else don 't take care of their local and parochial affairs, the whole game will suffer.

If RL is reliant on Wigan, or any other side come to mention it, looking after their local affairs else it will collapse, then it is pathetically weak.

The problem is that there are not enough Wigans spread about the country in the first place. It shouldn't be dependent on a handful of big clubs watering the roots, it should have people with watering cans everywhere. ..which it hasn't.

#75 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

I find it astonishing that anyone, least of all an experienced sports administrator, can argue that the way to create an England team capable of beating Australia is to fund the Championship clubs so that they can bridge the gap to SL. .

If that's all that a matters we should stop all funding to ALL clubs and pick 20 elite players and give them all the money the RFL receive. Obviously they wouldn't receive much money as the game wouldn't have any. But who cares?

#76 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

For whatever reason, the RFL have embarked on a league restructure debate in the run up to a major World Cup tournament. Why now, in World Cup year? It's madness!

Aside from my feelings on the restructuring of the professional game, I, too, really can't understand why this is all occurring in the lead up to the World Cup. We should be shouting from the rooftops about how good our game is.

#77 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

It doesn't matter where we are actually heading, we'll still manage to talk ourselves into a crisis whatever the direction.

#78 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

If that's all that a matters we should stop all funding to ALL clubs and pick 20 elite players and give them all the money the RFL receive. Obviously they wouldn't receive much money as the game wouldn't have any. But who cares?

Nice selective quote there. Go back and read the whole thing again (and a couple more times if necessary) and you might understand what I was saying. We should be spending all of our money on two things - development and and an elite competition at the top end. Giving money to Championship clubs who'll merely hand it over to mediocre, part-time players is an absolute waste of our limited resources.

#79 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have to agree with most of the posters on here, nothing will change for the better until there is a major clear out at Red Hall. I cringed when I watched Rimmer being interviewed last week, an outsider from out game who watched it would be forgiven for thinking they were talking to someone with special needs (no offence here to anyone with special needs), but Rimmer came across as a smirking idiot who had no idea how to answer the simplest of questions. 

Wood is no better and whenever I see both of them together they just remind me of George & Bungle from Rainbow !!!

What the game needs is strong leadership, run by people with top level experience in business administration, finance & marketing. People with no previous affiliation to the clubs or the sport who wont be coming in with any sort of agenda and who will make business decisions that are best for the sport.

Tradition is great up to a point but the reality is we live in a commercial world and RL is a sport that has to be commercially viable.

Its not all the RFL's fault though, the clubs also have a lot to answer for (admittedly not helped by any clear ditrection from the RFL)

For example what other sport would put up with one of its elite clubs having crowds of around 1200, its embarrasing. Look at the state of some of the clubs stadia, like Cas & Wakefield, they hardly portray a good image for the sport as being elite clubs. Even the champions Leeds play in a s*** hole of a stadium. Okay they have a shiny new stand on one side but the south stand is on its last legs, the north stand is little better and the western end where away fans go is a disgrace.

I'll continue to support the game & buy a season ticket to watch my team but it is disheartening to see the state the game has got itself into

#80 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

I have to agree with most of the posters on here, nothing will change for the better until there is a major clear out at Red Hall. I cringed when I watched Rimmer being interviewed last week, an outsider from out game who watched it would be forgiven for thinking they were talking to someone with special needs (no offence here to anyone with special needs), but Rimmer came across as a smirking idiot who had no idea how to answer the simplest of questions. 

Wood is no better and whenever I see both of them together they just remind me of George & Bungle from Rainbow !!!

What the game needs is strong leadership, run by people with top level experience in business administration, finance & marketing. People with no previous affiliation to the clubs or the sport who wont be coming in with any sort of agenda and who will make business decisions that are best for the sport.

Tradition is great up to a point but the reality is we live in a commercial world and RL is a sport that has to be commercially viable.

Its not all the RFL's fault though, the clubs also have a lot to answer for (admittedly not helped by any clear ditrection from the RFL)

For example what other sport would put up with one of its elite clubs having crowds of around 1200, its embarrasing. Look at the state of some of the clubs stadia, like Cas & Wakefield, they hardly portray a good image for the sport as being elite clubs. Even the champions Leeds play in a s*** hole of a stadium. Okay they have a shiny new stand on one side but the south stand is on its last legs, the north stand is little better and the western end where away fans go is a disgrace.

I'll continue to support the game & buy a season ticket to watch my team but it is disheartening to see the state the game has got itself into

We had that with Richard Lewis, and he did a great job, but every decision he made was lambasted by the usual loudmouths. Every step the game took forward was literally fought over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users