Where is the game heading?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#121 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

that's a fair question and I apologise for expressing myself badly.

student rugby league, the womens' game, championship one and other advances wont be affected directly , and in the short term.

What will be affected in the short term is professional rugby league.

A vibe of parochialism, entrenched attitudes and a failure to nurture growth is bound to affect perceptions of the game in the medium long term and will affect perceptions about the sports attractiveness culturally.

I hope this doesn't happen, and I hope these changes don't have a negative affect of the game and I think decisions have been taken in good faith.

Fair enough, I think the detail around these changes are important tbh.

If I was in charge I would be trying to influence the game to get an expansion strategy. I think taking a backward step now for long term gain is ok, if we have no plan for growth though it is an issue.

I'd focus on making every team as strong as they can be, look to use the England team and major events as promotion tools, partnering with the BBC should help here, and I'd have a strategy which guarantees expansion club double central funding for a period of up to 10 years, as well as providing other concessions on rules - ie salary cap etc.

As ever, the devil is in the detail, of which we have little.

#122 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I despair at many of the comments made here. get a reality check some of you. Without the "Flatcappers" or the M62 small town and Mining villages, where would this game be?

Why don't you simply wave your magic wands and conjure a Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow etc It's not gonna happen, at least not for some time to come. There's so much more available to interest the sporting public in this country and quite frankly the RFL and SL are incapable of promoting the game properly. Even many local schools in so called "heartlands" don't include RL anymore. There are some exceptions but it is very sad to see this happening. Someone mentioned the demise of the development workers. This tells you all you need to know about our administrators and the so called "Elite" clubs.

Australian RL hasn't had the same competition that we have had here. Football, Rugby Union and a "different" climate as well as financial hardships, redundancies, and generally a less "sporty" outlook - as well as a myriad of other reasons.

Other than cricket and Aussie rules the NRL have had it generally easier than us (although I must admit that had I seen Aussie rules when I was a kid I'd have loved to play it).

getting back to my point..... Without the M62 small town / village parochial flatcappers there wouldn't have been the great players of the past gracing the game and these small town / pit villages are still creating great players.

#123 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

The really sad thing is that there are some people who want exactly that - a small time operation, involving small clubs, playing semi-pro rugby league. Just so long as they can get the bus to the away game against their fierce rival in the next village.

Come off it,when was leeds/bradford,wigan/st helens last known as villages

#124 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

I despair at many of the comments made here. get a reality check some of you. Without the "Flatcappers" or the M62 small town and Mining villages, where would this game be?

Why don't you simply wave your magic wands and conjure a Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow etc It's not gonna happen, at least not for some time to come. There's so much more available to interest the sporting public in this country and quite frankly the RFL and SL are incapable of promoting the game properly. Even many local schools in so called "heartlands" don't include RL anymore. There are some exceptions but it is very sad to see this happening. Someone mentioned the demise of the development workers. This tells you all you need to know about our administrators and the so called "Elite" clubs.

Australian RL hasn't had the same competition that we have had here. Football, Rugby Union and a "different" climate as well as financial hardships, redundancies, and generally a less "sporty" outlook - as well as a myriad of other reasons.

Other than cricket and Aussie rules the NRL have had it generally easier than us (although I must admit that had I seen Aussie rules when I was a kid I'd have loved to play it).

getting back to my point..... Without the M62 small town / village parochial flatcappers there wouldn't have been the great players of the past gracing the game and these small town / pit villages are still creating great players.

It isn't about these teams existing its about these teams being realistic about their ambitions. Wigan St.Pats don't have dreams of being an SL club, why? Because they know such a notion is ridiculous. St. Pats still exist though they have a limited ambition and that is to be the best at the level they know they will survive at. They could of course put out masses of press release stating their ambition is to be in SL and to compete with Wigan, it would of course be a waste of paper.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#125 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

If RL is reliant on Wigan, or any other side come to mention it, looking after their local affairs else it will collapse, then it is pathetically weak.

The problem is that there are not enough Wigans spread about the country in the first place. It shouldn't be dependent on a handful of big clubs watering the roots, it should have people with watering cans everywhere. ..which it hasn't.

Oh no have you only just realised SL is a very weak product?,its actually built on strawberry flavoured jelly foundations.It wobbles about like mad but its quite tasty at times

#126 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

Come off it,when was leeds/bradford,wigan/st helens last known as villages

Wigan Borough has a population higher than 27 Cities in this country and has a massively greater population than the City of London, Wigan town has more than 15 times the population of London City.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#127 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

Oh no have you only just realised SL is a very weak product?,its actually built on strawberry flavoured jelly foundations.It wobbles about like mad but its quite tasty at times

Rugby League, is not a weak product. In fact it is actually the best sport on our planet.
The fact that it hasn't got much money or drive is a different argument.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#128 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

Wigan Borough has a population higher than 27 Cities in this country and has a massively greater population than the City of London, Wigan town has more than 15 times the population of London City.

My point exactly

#129 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

Rugby League, is not a weak product. In fact it is actually the best sport on our planet.
The fact that it hasn't got much money or drive is a different argument.

The on field product is'in general'a very good product at all levels

#130 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

The on field product is'in general'a very good product at all levels

Er, yes. That would be Rugby League.

#131 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Er, yes. That would be Rugby League.

Just to make it easier for you i'll repeat a little bit of what i wrote 3 or 4 posts back 'Oh no have you only just realised SL is a very weak product

#132 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Just to make it easier for you i'll repeat a little bit of what i wrote 3 or 4 posts back 'Oh no have you only just realised SL is a very weak product

Oh, I see. You are a proper fan, complete with wit.

#133 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Oh, I see. You are a proper fan, complete with wit.

I love the sport of RL,as SL has always thought itself separate to the rest, then tbh ive always treated it that way

#134 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

I love the sport of RL,as SL has always thought itself separate to the rest, then tbh ive always treated it that way

Well done mate. Your medal presentation is coming soon.

#135 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

isi

#136 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

You have an opinion, the above is your opinion.
Lewis was clueless who rode the wave of the housing boom and a labour governments wasteful use of taxpayers money. The going got tough, the easy wins disappeared and he was off into the coasy tearooms of Wimbledon
We have a forum containing many non producers who read well but dont know how to generate sales, they live in a little cocoon back slapping each other whilst spouting their personal sheeeite as fact as they draw their local authority wage/pension- my opinion of course
We don't need administrators we need ballsy sales people to sell our potentially great product for the right price by focussing on its strengths, sack all the pen pushers and ban them from here. Our strengths are tangible, lets not be ashamed of them because they are why people play the game in Hemel and Bristol etc Once we get the right income for the product we create choices but lets not put the cart before the horse and certainly understand we are not a Con or Yank, we have a much longer and prouder history that has shaped us to be what we are
We must make the elite Super, we must increase the FT player pool, we must increase income into the sport, we must expand in France and to do it we must respect and strengthen the foundations

To be fair to Lewis, when he took over the RFL was bankrupt following the 2000 world cup and by the time he left the RFL has been in profit for several years and had a decent bank balance.

#137 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

if its off sl dont bother it'll only melt as soon as the pressure is on then again it might go well with the strawberry jelly foundations sl is wobbling on

#138 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

if its off sl dont bother it'll only melt as soon as the pressure is on then again it might go well with the strawberry flavoured jelly foundations sl is wobbling on

#139 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Most rational people over here know the game is not as remotely strong as it should be and agree that the game is poorly run. However, it is good to know that the men in charge of the game in your country don't show your views otherwise your competition would be a shadow of what it is now without the likes of the Broncos and Storm plus the may never seen the genius of players like Lockyer, Inglis and Slater. Yeah, good one mate!

The Broncos were already in the ARL Competition, the players you mention would still have been in the game, just with other Teams.

The ARL brought four new teams into the game including Perth and Adelaide and would have made it a truly national game until SL turned them against the ARL.

The Storm only exist because of Newscorp but hardly any of their players are locally developed, Slater, Inglis and company would have been picked up by other Clubs, maybe Adelaide or Perth.

#140 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

The Broncos were already in the ARL Competition, the players you mention would still have been in the game, just with other Teams.

The ARL brought four new teams into the game including Perth and Adelaide and would have made it a truly national game until SL turned them against the ARL.

The Storm only exist because of Newscorp but hardly any of their players are locally developed, Slater, Inglis and company would have been picked up by other Clubs, maybe Adelaide or Perth.

Perth were in dire financial straits because the NSWRL would only admit them to their comp if they paid all the travel costs of the visiting teams - 1st and reserve grade. That's why they switched to SL.

Adelaide Rams were created by SL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users