Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the game heading?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

It isn't about these teams existing its about these teams being realistic about their ambitions. Wigan St.Pats don't have dreams of being an SL club, why? Because they know such a notion is ridiculous. St. Pats still exist though they have a limited ambition and that is to be the best at the level they know they will survive at. They could of course put out masses of press release stating their ambition is to be in SL and to compete with Wigan, it would of course be a waste of paper.

If you are comparing small clubs with no supporters then London Broncos matching Wigan should be a waste of paper. Comparing Wigan St Pats to semi pro clubs like Fev Rovers is just ridiculous.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#142 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

It didn't sell the Aussies out, it just didn;t side with the half that you wanted it to.

Is that how you see it?

You have the ARL and the English RFL and a media backed break away wants to start its own League to sell pay TV subscriptions and GB  desert their long standing partnership with Australia that has been around since the game started.

You simplify it to taking sides?

Your old friends the ARL or Murdoch and its all good?

That is selling out your friends my friend.

Maybe the games state in the UK now is Karma......

Glad I am not in the Trenches with you mate unless you make a good Sandbag.

#143 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Perth were in dire financial straits because the NSWRL would only admit them to their comp if they paid all the travel costs of the visiting teams - 1st and reserve grade. That's why they switched to SL.

Adelaide Rams were created by SL.

Sorry, you are right Adelaide were SL.

The Perth franchise knew the conditions when they entered the game, why is it the ARL's fault they did not do their homework? a smart Club would have has an Airline as a Sponsor to negate the travel costs.

#144 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Sorry, you are right Adelaide were SL.

The Perth franchise knew the conditions when they entered the game, why is it the ARL's fault they did not do their homework? a smart Club would have has an Airline as a Sponsor to negate the travel costs.

If you can't even admit that there was fault on both sides then it's not worth discussing it with you.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#145 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

If you are comparing small clubs with no supporters then London Broncos matching Wigan should be a waste of paper. Comparing Wigan St Pats to semi pro clubs like Fev Rovers is just ridiculous.

Ergo comparing a semi-pro club with a fully pro club is ridiculous.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#146 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Is that how you see it?

You have the ARL and the English RFL and a media backed break away wants to start its own League to sell pay TV subscriptions and GB  desert their long standing partnership with Australia that has been around since the game started.

The reality is we didn't have a choice over here. You had two media giants battling for your teams, we had Sky offering us millions to create the SL. This had never happened before, and with hindsight, was absolutely the right thing to do.

If we had said no to the money, would the ARL have covered the £87m on offer to the British game?

#147 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Ergo comparing a semi-pro club with a fully pro club is ridiculous.

but we are only semi pro due to not having a licence, with a return to P and R with the investment we are getting then we will become fully pro. I know it hurts but it's a fact, so comparing my semi pro club with a fully pro club is not ridiculous at all. The same can easily be said for clubs like Leigh and Halifax compared to many Fully Pro clubs, so I'm afraid ridiculous is written all over you comments.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#148 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Is that how you see it?
You have the ARL and the English RFL and a media backed break away wants to start its own League to sell pay TV subscriptions and GB desert their long standing partnership with Australia that has been around since the game started.

The game in the England is in the best state it's been in my lifetime at least and probably ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users