York

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

To all those who say that Pryce should not be in the team, he has just shown why he is in the team. Had to laugh at one bloke giving both Morro and Pryce stick via his uneducated comments (obviously trying to impress his woman!) then clapping and applauding the last try saying what great play it was!!  :sclerosis: :girlwerewolf:

How did Morton get man of the match? How does someone watch a match and miss the high tackle on Scotty Hale? How does someone watch the match and not realise Watkinson forcing himself towards the york line with 3 in tow?

It wasn't pretty but showed some of the spirit we know they have in the last 20 minutes. There were a lot of players who did not play as well as they know they can today but as a TEAM they stuck together. What a shame the fans cannot manage that!!!

By the way for me Austin deserves man of the match!!

#22 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Pryce is carrying a knock and needs an operation aparantly. Won us match today!

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Double post.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 14 July 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

There was also much "debate" in the South Stand and the word "rubbish" was used many times in the discussion. Like most I was pleased with the outcome but thought we actually pinched it - the York fans must have been very disappointed not to get the win.

I believe that random criticism of fans who aren't enjoying our present style and effectiveness is unwarranted. People who have been watching the game for many years know quality RL when they see it, and they aren't at present. I can't go along with the theory that the fans are the problem and if they were just more positive then everything will be alright, because it won't.

Our attacking play today was woeful: all of our tries were opportunistic with O'Brien pulling one out of the hat again; none of those tries could be said to be down to any kind of structured approach. There is no pattern, at least that I can see, in our attacking play, and a failure to play simple straightforward attritional RL is something that has many spectators shaking their heads. Our defence is enthusiastic but haphazard with very little noticeable pattern - we don't move as a unit; some players continuously come out of the line, wingers can't mark their opponents, and worst of all our defence around the play the ball was truly pathetic today: the number of scampers from dummy half that they were allowed to make was astonishing.

I am sure that everyone is working very hard and to the utmost of their abilities but I can't for the life of me see any discernible improvement in team structure or performance this season. (No better than Jowett was a muttered comment by some today.) the final irritation for me was in reading GM's programme notes after the game in which he refers to:

1. our considerable improvement since we last player York despite our injury crisis

2. a desire to build on this season's improved form to date

3. our intention to "go up a notch" in 2014

Maybe it's just me failing to understand the nuances of the game but I think we're getting worse.

We'll be OK - we'll pick up a few more points before the season's out and the weaker teams won't make up the difference. In fact I reckon that we will now make the play-offs - a fact that some will claim as progress. But I'm still not a happy bunny.

:rtfm:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Didn't see that coming at HT. We looked lost for the first 60 mins. Some of the attacking plays as were poor, a couple of times at PTB there was nobody at first receiver. To carry on with the negatives do we have an on field captain? When we were flat there was nobody to gee up the players. Not sure why craven and Morton swapped positions neither looked comfortable seemed a bit odd.
Not sure we look like a team yet. Anyway Walshaw and AOB had good games. Gouldings kicking has variety and with abit of luck could have had a couple tries. He took some stick from the fans not sure why. Pryce is an enigma, great break and offload for the winning try. He splits opinion hearing the home fans arguing is a strange one. York tackled well GT must be wondering how they lost this game.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#26 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

The fact is, it is no better than when Jowitt was here. Finacially speaking, The Rams run a tight ship and you get the same standard of player accordingly. This is a poor team and the performances have been laboured to say the least. However, we have what we have and it won't improve any time soon. As always I will support whoever takes the field.

#27 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

What we lack is a pair of half backs who can run the team. Hyde looked out of sorts today, Goulding is very talented but still learning.

We have as far as I remember a smaller budget than last year and a new team which has been hit by injuries and a coach new to the division and new to being a Head Coach. All I want is to avoid relegation and I think a couple of wins should see us safe

With Buchanan Gallagher Brown and Wright on the field think it would have been better and don't know whether Lillycrop and Aizue are injured or out of favour.

But the players ground out a performance, we could have had a couple of tries, but they snatched a win.

Couple of areas we must improve on are marking at the PTB as someone said we gave away a lot of ground and we need to slow opposition PTB down. York did it more effectively than we did.

#28 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Have to agree the team seems to lack attacking ideas and defensively do give away to many metres..... improve they must 

#29 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Got to say I was disappointed in the comments made by GM at the end of his short speech. I am all for a manager/coach backing his players, but in my opinion, firing shots at the fan base is not they way to do it.

Having a go at the small number of supporters who use the internet forum to express their views, will not go away. 

However, he didn't allow anyone in the room the opportunity to respond, this may come back to bite him later when and if there is another question and answering session.

It was also a little amusing to see that KP had already "left the building" and didn't hear his comments

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#30 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

What was said?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#31 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Something along the lines of " hopefully the brave keyboard warriors will leave KP alone after his performance"

#32 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

That surprises me I didn't think he would read these forums or at least care what people think. I think KP still has someway to silence his critics. I did see Morro come onto pitch to give him a hug at FT.

[

#33 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Something along the lines of " hopefully the brave keyboard warriors will leave KP alone after his performance"

As a brave keyboard warrior who hasn't slagged KP off, I'd suggest he take a look at the comments on the York forum, some who have described us as the worst team they have played and the poorest Rams side for a long time - which means they must think even WJ's sides were better. He might also note that many of the dissatisfied forum contributors will be the ones who are digging deep for squadbuilder, DREMA and AR. Realistically, I would have taken avoiding relegation as the main priority this year (still far from certain), and if we achieve that, I'll be happy to see GM as coach next year, but I hope that the style of rugby and calibre of player improves dramatically in 2014, or we will be facing another relegation dogfight - and TBH I'm getting a bit tired of them.

#34 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

I've got to say I was surprised by his comment.

These things have a nasty habit of biting you in the backside later, and this one could, especially if KP doesn't perform.

You are not alone GOR, there were a number of disgruntled fans on Sunday.

Can you imagine what the atmosphere would have been like if we had lost.

#35 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I still can't believe we won yesterday.  

KP didn't have the greatest game, constantly lacing up his boots when he should be taking a drive. looks like he's not trying and hiding from the play.

I can see why fans are on his back - was he captain yesterday?

However the try he set up at the end may have just saved us from relegation and showed he has the ability - the one handed pass to Scott was class.  

If we can beat Hunslet and Keighley then that should guarantee survival.

Posted Image

#36 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

What we lack is a pair of half backs who can run the team. Hyde looked out of sorts today, Goulding is very talented but still learning.

I think this comment says it all. We had 2 average half backs who came in for a lot of flack when playing for the Rams but what Sheffield have done is put them behind a very strong pack to give their game style a chance to flourish.

For me this shows the Rams need a proven coach who understands how to give the players the best chance of success. With Walker we had a talented kicker of the ball who now plays his game on the front foot rather than the back.

I essentially agree with your statement but an unproven coach tends not to know what assets he actually has. If the Rams do anything, they need to invest in a coach. You can't keep hoping each new coach is going to turn out like Ned Kelly.

#37 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think this comment says it all. We had 2 average half backs who came in for a lot of flack when playing for the Rams but what Sheffield have done is put them behind a very strong pack to give their game style a chance to flourish.

For me this shows the Rams need a proven coach who understands how to give the players the best chance of success. With Walker we had a talented kicker of the ball who now plays his game on the front foot rather than the back.

I essentially agree with your statement but an unproven coach tends not to know what assets he actually has. If the Rams do anything, they need to invest in a coach. You can't keep hoping each new coach is going to turn out like Ned Kelly.

Of course the original Ned Kelly was also an Ausie and he's already dead and buried - I truly hope GM's career is longer and more distinguished..

#38 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

One bit of class doesn't undo the rubbish we've seen from a certain player all season.
And yes GM we do have the right to comment as we don't pay with hard earned money to watch rubbish week in week out. Where's this expansive play you promised us??
It's very unprofessional of GM to slag off us fans when its his tactics and his choice of players that's trying to win us games.

#39 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

If the fans are looking for Pryce to be an all action player driving it up 15+ times a game and making 20+ tackles a game it is never going to happen.

If we are happy with the occasional break, drive over the line or occasional line break then we are OK.

If anyone has the stats for yesterdays game I would guess that Pryce took it in no more than 5 times? made 5/6 tackles, did his laces up 3 times and 1 tackle bust that set up the winning try. 

Is his selection as captain justified on that contribution?

Posted Image

#40 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

I would have made Hepworth the captain. He gives his all every game and never takes a step backwards. He deserves player of the season IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users