Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

York

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

If the fans are looking for Pryce to be an all action player driving it up 15+ times a game and making 20+ tackles a game it is never going to happen.

If we are happy with the occasional break, drive over the line or occasional line break then we are OK.

If anyone has the stats for yesterdays game I would guess that Pryce took it in no more than 5 times? made 5/6 tackles, did his laces up 3 times and 1 tackle bust that set up the winning try. 

Is his selection as captain justified on that contribution?

Hmmm. Don't forget that the other centre berth was occupied by a player "destined for SL". We have under-performance in many positions and laying the blame at the feet of KP is getting tedious; the problems are much more fundamental than one player.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#42 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

One good game dont make up how lazy he is,any other player in his place would do more

#43 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Like it or not, Pryce won us the game with a moment of class, who would we replace him with? Callan Beckett?

There is no shortage of grafters in the team, there is only one Player who could have made that try. He is better than any other centre we are not playing.

Surprised GM mentioned keyboard warriors, pretty much everyone around me grumbles about Karl Pryce.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 15 July 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#44 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

There is so much doom and gloom on both the Rams & Bulldogs forums I have taken to reading the Hunslet one to cheer myself up!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#45 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

There is so much doom and gloom on both the Rams & Bulldogs forums I have taken to reading the Hunslet one to cheer myself up!

:laugh: :laugh:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#46 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hmmm. Don't forget that the other centre berth was occupied by a player "destined for SL". We have under-performance in many positions and laying the blame at the feet of KP is getting tedious; the problems are much more fundamental than one player.

I won't say another word about Pryce. 

#47 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Something along the lines of " hopefully the brave keyboard warriors will leave KP alone after his performance"

Thing was he came in and had a go at one of the young ones saying he was not a true fan.Sumat do with twitter,dont know what bird watchings got to do with it.Point is the young lads got nothing to do with it.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 16 July 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#48 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thing was he came in and had a go at one of the young ones saying he was not a true fan.Sumat do with twitter,dont know what bird watchings got to do with it.Point is the young lads got nothing to do with it.

Is GM feeling the pressure maybe?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#49 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Do we expect too much? Both the Dogs and the rams are where we expected them to be. The dogs will finish in the the top 5 and the rams will finish in the top eight. The best of the rest are pulling away from barrow swinton and hunslet. What will count for me is how we finish the season as we have under performed in the play offs todate. Dewsbury like Batley need to impress in the play offs as a platform for 2014

#50 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Is GM feeling the pressure maybe?

He should be, it's his team & game plan.

But you don't bite the hand that feeds you!!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#51 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Do we expect too much? Both the Dogs and the rams are where we expected them to be. The dogs will finish in the the top 5 and the rams will finish in the top eight. The best of the rest are pulling away from barrow swinton and hunslet. What will count for me is how we finish the season as we have under performed in the play offs todate. Dewsbury like Batley need to impress in the play offs as a platform for 2014

You are probably right piggy, except I never did expect us to finish in the top eight, so to do so would be a bonus. We may win enough games to avoid the drop (thank god for O'Brien) but TBH most of the games we have won have not been pretty to watch. Batley on the other hand will most likely finish fifth, but have the players to beat anybody in the division on the day, so winning the playoffs isn't out of the question by a long chalk. Do you think we would get past the first round ? Nah, me neither.

#52 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

You are probably right piggy, except I never did expect us to finish in the top eight, so to do so would be a bonus. We may win enough games to avoid the drop (thank god for O'Brien) but TBH most of the games we have won have not been pretty to watch. Batley on the other hand will most likely finish fifth, but have the players to beat anybody in the division on the day, so winning the playoffs isn't out of the question by a long chalk. Do you think we would get past the first round ? Nah, me neither.

Remember '73! They all wrote us off then too.

(No, I don't believe it either, but some like to dream.)

:pickeat:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#53 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Remember '73! They all wrote us off then too.

(No, I don't believe it either, but some like to dream.)

:pickeat:

If we had Stephenson, Ashcroft, Day Rushton and Yoward in the backs now, I might be more optimistic.

#54 My Father was a Desert Rat

My Father was a Desert Rat
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I do feel for Glenn Morrison a bit though (I can't use GM - makes me think of Genetically Modified). It's his first proper coaching job; he probably came into it full of enthusiasm and then finds he has to cobble together a side for under £12.50 because he has been given ###### all money as we "run a tight ship." Tight being the operative word. So he has to beg, steal or borrow to get a bit of talent in who he hopes might do well.

His main mistake was to mess about with the local lad and play his own favourite in the same position when to most other people he's better suited on the wing. The team doesn't gel and the pack isn't half as good as it should be to give the half backs room to move. And we could do with a more vocal captain - if only because it re-assures the fans who like to see the players being given a rollicking after a feck-up.

Glenn's wife is gorgeous though, so you can't feel too sorry for him.

"A four-hour tour of a local hll: Pudsey, Tingley, Hanging Heaton, Shaw Cross, Batley, Dewsbury, Chickenley, Earlsheaton, Gawthorpe, Horbury, Castleford, Pontefract, Normanton, Hemsworth, Fitzwilliam, Sharlston, and Streethouse.

Hard towns for hard men".

David Peace. 1974.

#55 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

If we had Stephenson, Ashcroft, Day Rushton and Yoward in the backs now, I might be more optimistic.

Your team must be pants GOR if you would bring in a load of 60+ old men in :lol:

#56 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Your team must be pants GOR if you would bring in a load of 60+ old men in :lol:

Funny thing is, if they played we would pull a much bigger crowd than we did on Sunday!! :shout:

Which of course would be bigger than at the Bullfrogs, 5th in the league or not!

#57 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hmmm Mr Farce, Bigger crowd or bigger club.... which would I choose :pickeat:

#58 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hmmm Mr Farce, Bigger crowd or bigger club.... which would I choose :pickeat:

I choose Dewsbury Rams...because they are both when compared to the Bullfrogs!! :tease:

#59 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I know - covered in strapping and looking like a collection of Mr Bumps, hobbling from one scrum to another, panting like puffing billys and with dodgy knees and fragile bones. Course the squad of 74 won't look much better.

#60 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

I do feel for Glenn Morrison a bit though (I can't use GM - makes me think of Genetically Modified). It's his first proper coaching job; he probably came into it full of enthusiasm and then finds he has to cobble together a side for under £12.50 because he has been given ###### all money as we "run a tight ship." Tight being the operative word. So he has to beg, steal or borrow to get a bit of talent in who he hopes might do well.

His main mistake was to mess about with the local lad and play his own favourite in the same position when to most other people he's better suited on the wing. The team doesn't gel and the pack isn't half as good as it should be to give the half backs room to move. And we could do with a more vocal captain - if only because it re-assures the fans who like to see the players being given a rollicking after a feck-up.

Glenn's wife is gorgeous though, so you can't feel too sorry for him.

Doubt GM was under any illusions about playing budget and he has had to put almost a new team together and has been unlucky with some long term injuries to Spicer, Buchanan, Wright, Brown, Ben Jones and loss of Spaven. But we look like we will be staying up and that was all that I want for this season. If some of the purported signings are for next season are true, we will be much stronger.

And yes his wife is drop dead gorgeous, certainly she was the highlight of my Sunday afternoon till the last minute winning try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users