Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Privatisation of Royal Mail: Are you ready to deliver your own letters?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Which may have been already off-set by the growth of parcel delivery firms in recent years due to buying off the internet. 

We should not simply employ people for the sake of it. We should employ them if its necessary to employ them. Happens in the real world.

Royal mail is obliged to deliver to every address in the UK 6 days a week and has recently posted an annual profit of £440 million, that's sounds pretty "necessary" to me to employ them.

#22 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

There is no competition or commercial reason for the Royal Mail to be privatised.  None of the commercial operators want the last-mile work as it's just too expensive but have been happy to whine their way through successive Parliaments getting competition rights for the profitable parts.  Despite all that, the Royal Mail is still profitable and should be kept as a key nationalised asset out of the hands of those who'll degrade service year on year to make year on year increases in short-term profits.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

There is no competition or commercial reason for the Royal Mail to be privatised.  None of the commercial operators want the last-mile work as it's just too expensive but have been happy to whine their way through successive Parliaments getting competition rights for the profitable parts.  Despite all that, the Royal Mail is still profitable and should be kept as a key nationalised asset out of the hands of those who'll degrade service year on year to make year on year increases in short-term profits.

Agreed, I think that this government has seriously underestimated the British publics opposition to the privatization of the royal mail.

#24 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Agreed, I think that this government has seriously underestimated the British publics opposition to the privatization of the royal mail.

Oh christ.

27 million people voted at the last election. 24 million voted for this sort of stuff: further privatisation of the nhs, atos assessments, massive spending cuts, etc etc. The public really don't give a toss who delivers their mail as long as it gets there in timely fashion.

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Would 3/4 days a week deliveries really be too bad? 

Surly these days we send parcels via private efficient firms anyway? Time critical information is often done via e-mail anyway. 

That's too simplistic a view. Private does not always equal efficient or even remotely competent in some cases, I can assure you of that. Just look at the G4S/Serco thread for proof! Private delivery companies are just as prone to losing or delaying items as Royal Mail, in many cases, they are worse.

Subscribers to League Express, for example, expect to receive their copy as soon as possible after the Monday publication date through the postal system. The only company that offers a next day service for this kind of post, across the whole country, at an affordable price is Royal Mail. If they drop that in favour of 3/4 days a week deliveries, as you suggest, just to allow them to cut staff and increase profit, they will kill our subscription service dead. There is no other company able or willing to step into the breach. How many other small businesses would be in the same boat as LPL? Many, I would hazard a guess at.

Royal Mail is profitable now, doing what it does, better than many of its rivals, and it is still in public hands. Why change that? It can only be dogma.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#26 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh christ.

27 million people voted at the last election. 24 million voted for this sort of stuff: further privatisation of the nhs, atos assessments, massive spending cuts, etc etc. The public really don't give a toss who delivers their mail as long as it gets there in timely fashion.

They'll only notice when it stops getting there in a timely fashion. By which time, it'll be too late.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#27 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think from past experience we can be sure that any guarantees on service levels will be forgotten about once the shares have all been sold. Prices will rocket, service levels will fall and there will be nothing anyone can do about it.

My bins are collected by a bit of the council that was sold off, each week, without fail they are collected, even if I don't put the thing "out" as it may not be full.

Actually, people can do lots about it, they can vote for a party that promises to nationalise everything, unfortunately 24m out of 27m are spineless. Then they whinge.

Sorry, not all are spineless, but those who whine about it, then vote for it certainly are.

Edited by archibald, 13 July 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#28 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

They'll only notice when it stops getting there in a timely fashion. By which time, it'll be too late.

Then they'll whine and whinge, then come the next election they'll continue to vote for the status quo.

#29 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Then they'll whine and whinge, then come the next election they'll continue to vote for the status quo.

I think most people vote out of hope rather than expectation. The actual 'choice' on offer isn't very inspiring.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#30 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think most people vote out of hope rather than expectation. The actual 'choice' on offer isn't very inspiring.

Then they get everything they deserve.

#31 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Then they get everything they deserve.

Not really.

People who voted Lib Dem at the last election were voting for a party that campaigned against a rise in tuition fees, for example. But look what happened next.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#32 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Not really.

People who voted Lib Dem at the last election were voting for a party that campaigned against a rise in tuition fees, for example. But look what happened next.

Yes, and the results of that won't be known until the next election. Tuition fees were an age ago.

#33 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes, and the results of that won't be known until the next election. Tuition fees were an age ago.

It's just one example of political parties saying one thing and doing another. You can't blame the voters for that.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#34 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

My bins are collected by a bit of the council that was sold off, each week, without fail they are collected, even if I don't put the thing "out" as it may not be full.

Actually, people can do lots about it, they can vote for a party that promises to nationalise everything, unfortunately 24m out of 27m are spineless. Then they whinge.

Sorry, not all are spineless, but those who whine about it, then vote for it certainly are.

Pray tell, good sir, just who exactly I should vote for. The only candidates are normally Conservative, Labour, LibDem, Greens, UKIP, BNP and a few independents. Which of those should I trust with my vote?

Your argument of "You voted for them, you deserve them" is simplistic. There are no alternatives unless you are proposing revolution.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#35 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's just one example of political parties saying one thing and doing another. You can't blame the voters for that.

Yes you can, they put them there. Time after time.

The expenses scandal was the perfect opportunity for the electorate to give the "big 3" a kicking, but they didn't.

#36 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Pray tell, good sir, just who exactly I should vote for. The only candidates are normally Conservative, Labour, LibDem, Greens, UKIP, BNP and a few independents. Which of those should I trust with my vote?

Your argument of "You voted for them, you deserve them" is simplistic. There are no alternatives unless you are proposing revolution.

Here's a crazy idea, read the manifestos. And not just the front cover to see what colour rosette is on the front.

#37 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Here's a crazy idea, read the manifestos. And not just the front cover to see what colour rosette is on the front.

Prediction:

After the next election whoever wins there will be further cuts and promises will be broken.

#38 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Thanks.

Here's a fact. They are all the bloody same.

Should I vote SWP? BNP? CPGB? Monster Raving Loony? Apart from the single-issue fringe nutjobs, they are all the same!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users