British people are wrong about everything

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Interesting and depressing, but not that surprising.

British people are wrong about everything: here’s why
People are wildly wrong when we ask them about many aspects of life in Britain, as shown in a new survey by Ipsos MORI for the Royal Statistical Society and King’s College London.
https://theconversat...heres-why-16018

"We think one in four of the entire population is Muslim (5% in reality). We believe 31% are immigrants (the official figure is 13%). We have an extraordinary view of teenage girls, believing that on average 15% under the age of 16 get pregnant each year (0.6% in reality). We think £24 out every £100 of benefit spend is claimed fraudulently (it’s actually 70p). We think crime is rising (it’s been falling for years). And we’re more likely to pick out foreign aid as a top item of expenditure than state pensions (we spend 9-10 times more on pensions)."

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,809 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

The problem is, for me anyway, I don't believe the figures they come up with.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm with you simply because they wouldn't have found a Brit in London :onthequiet:

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Would it help if Canetman printed them in CAPITAL LETTERS?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm with you simply because they wouldn't have found a Brit in London :onthequiet:

Oi! There are one or two of us left.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Oi! There are one or two of us left.

Unless you read the Daily Mail or Express, in which case you know that 9 out of 10 Londoners are Polish Muslims, who have come over here to blow up our plumbing, make our house prices catch cancer and take our jobs while leeching off our welfare system and murdering Princess Diana McCann.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Unless you read the Daily Mail or Express, in which case you know that 9 out of 10 Londoners are Polish Muslims, who have come over here to blow up our plumbing, make our house prices catch cancer and take our jobs while leeching off our welfare system and murdering Princess Diana McCann.

You missed the pedophile Eastern European child prostitution people smugglers who come in in on Chinese faked passports.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

People are wildly wrong when we ask them about many aspects of life in Britain, as shown in a new survey by Ipsos MORI for the Royal Statistical Society and King’s College London.

"We think one in four of the entire population is Muslim (5% in reality). We believe 31% are immigrants (the official figure is 13%). We have an extraordinary view of teenage girls, believing that on average 15% under the age of 16 get pregnant each year (0.6% in reality). We think £24 out every £100 of benefit spend is claimed fraudulently (it’s actually 70p). We think crime is rising (it’s been falling for years). And we’re more likely to pick out foreign aid as a top item of expenditure than state pensions (we spend 9-10 times more on pensions)."

1: the one in 4 people are Muslim stat is true in certain areas.

2. Teen pregnancy? We still have one of the highest rates in Europe.

3. How do you measure benefit fraud? The figure quoted is an estimate ok its got more evidence behind it than the public's guesses bit its an estimate. 

4. The fear of crime rises. 

5. Most people claiming pensions have paid in so comparing it to aid is stupid.  Its like saying people thinking their water bill is too high when they pay many times more in income tax. Two totally stupid comparisons. 

Edited by Li0nhead, 13 July 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#9 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

1: the one in 4 people are Muslim stat is true in certain areas.
2. Teen pregnancy? We still have one of the highest rates in Europe.
3. How do you measure benefit fraud? The figure quoted is an estimate ok its got more evidence behind it than the public's guesses bit its an estimate.
4. The fear of crime rises.
5. Most people claiming pensions have paid in so comparing it to aid is stupid. Its like saying people thinking their water bill is too high when they pay many times more in income tax. Two totally stupid comparisons.

And the original post is proven to be correct.

People will believe what they want to to fit their political agenda, rather then live and let live.

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 13 July 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

These are subjects that certain politicians and journalists like to use to scare people into voting a certain way. By constantly highlighting, exaggerating and lying about them they give the impression that they occur more or are greater in number than is true. As many people are not inclined to challenge everything they hear or read (and haven't the time) then the false impression sticks.

Unfortunately, scaremongering can and does work.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

And the original post is proven to be correct.

People will believe what they want to to fit their political agenda, rather then live and let live.

I don't disagree. If i read the Daily Mail every day i have no doubt that i would believe within a month that asylum seekers are hiding under my bed ready to rob me and force me to fill in their benefit forms that entitles them to have an airport built to fly their family in, then a house near the airport and a hospital built for each asylum seeking family. 

But the original post is full of sweeping generalisations. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users