Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is it really all my fault?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Having had the misfortune to have been born in a small Northern town and of being a loyal supporter of the local team, I am, apparently, a small-minded, self-interested, flat earth believing, banjo playing, flat cap wearing, bigoted dinosaur responsible for holding back Rugby League from it's rightful place in the sporting hierarchy.

Do I have a claim, however, that my views, thoughts, beliefs and desires have no impact whatsoever on the state of British rugby league? No one is influenced by me, those like me, or our teams. We have not had a say in the running, development, or organisation of the sport for over a decade. Any input, possibly quite rightly, has been taken away from us.

If the sport does not meet expectations, it is not our fault. If those who make the decisions have to make changes because they are worried about the progress of the sport, it is not our fault. When London finally fail, when the Salford euphoria comes to nothing, it will not be our fault. When SKY reduces its money, it will not be our fault. When Bradford, Hull KR, Huddersfield and others, find themselves in financial trouble, it will not be our fault. Failure to generate an appetite for the sport in new areas is not our fault. And when the 12 team Super League reduces to 10 and then 8 teams, it will not be our fault. Others decide the course of the sport's progress. We may make a little noise, but we do not run the game, or even influence, or effect it. The teams in the lower leagues have no effective say in the decisions of the game; we supporters have no influence whatever. For a while now, our teams have been told what to, and the views of a few thousand supporters are a total irrelevance. Anyone wanting to attribute any sort of blame should work out exactly who is making the decisions, and for whose benefit.

Disappointingly, some of us may have a smile if any of the above crises occur; small-minded self interest is quite unpleasant. But big-minded self interest is much more destructive.

#2 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

You don't sound very optimistic, mate.

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Your perpetual misery and that of your fellow travellers IS to blame for many of the games ills, cheer up. Interest is growing in new areas - see championship 1. We are soon starting a world cup, potentially the best ever, talk the sport up don't try and death ride it until you get the chance to say 'I told you so'
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Having had the misfortune to have been born in a small Northern town and of being a loyal supporter of the local team, I am, apparently, a small-minded, self-interested, flat earth believing, banjo playing, flat cap wearing, bigoted dinosaur responsible for holding back Rugby League from it's rightful place in the sporting hierarchy.

Do I have a claim, however, that my views, thoughts, beliefs and desires have no impact whatsoever on the state of British rugby league? No one is influenced by me, those like me, or our teams. We have not had a say in the running, development, or organisation of the sport for over a decade. Any input, possibly quite rightly, has been taken away from us.

If the sport does not meet expectations, it is not our fault. If those who make the decisions have to make changes because they are worried about the progress of the sport, it is not our fault. When London finally fail, when the Salford euphoria comes to nothing, it will not be our fault. When SKY reduces its money, it will not be our fault. When Bradford, Hull KR, Huddersfield and others, find themselves in financial trouble, it will not be our fault. Failure to generate an appetite for the sport in new areas is not our fault. And when the 12 team Super League reduces to 10 and then 8 teams, it will not be our fault. Others decide the course of the sport's progress. We may make a little noise, but we do not run the game, or even influence, or effect it. The teams in the lower leagues have no effective say in the decisions of the game; we supporters have no influence whatever. For a while now, our teams have been told what to, and the views of a few thousand supporters are a total irrelevance. Anyone wanting to attribute any sort of blame should work out exactly who is making the decisions, and for whose benefit.

Disappointingly, some of us may have a smile if any of the above crises occur; small-minded self interest is quite unpleasant. But big-minded self interest is much more destructive.

with you all the way (except i can't play the banjo)

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

with you all the way (except i can't play the banjo)

But you do believe in a flat earth?

Edited by Methven Hornet, 12 July 2013 - 06:07 PM.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

But you do believe in a flat earth?

no, a flat cap

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#7 knottla

knottla
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Well put Purston Javelin, what a post ,although I don't believe for one minute your thoughts will hit home to those in their ivory towers.Like oldrover I don't play the banjo or have a whippet or pigeons.

#8 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Were an easy target mate.  Just because we enjoyed a whinge at how we had been treated, we are tagged with being small minded in breds.

Now the cosy little world of licensing is near an end they can't say that it has failed, oh no.  It has give them more unjustified amo to sling our way, well just like usual keep slinging it because we aren't going away.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,546 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

and still they whinge

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#10 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

......about people whingeing that they're whingers......

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,546 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

stop whingeing

Keeping it local

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

It's not that working class people in small Yorks and Lancs towns like the sport that is the problem. The problem is that the game is not popular enough outside this demographic.

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

no, a flat cap

Bigoted dinosaur, perchance? :)

#14 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hasn't the British game had a problem in finding whingers, especially since the likes of Martin Offiah and Jason Robinson left the game?

#15 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

It's not that working class people in small Yorks and Lancs towns like the sport that is the problem. The problem is that the game is not popular enough outside this demographic.

Hit the nail on the head there - and until that fact is recognised the game will never grow in this country.

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,546 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hit the nail on the head there - and until that fact is recognised the game will never grow in this country.

well said

Keeping it local

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,546 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

OR knows his rugby league

he's neither of these things MH

Keeping it local

#18 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

bigoted, no. dinosaur, well since they announced the return of P&R, i'm in raptors.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

OR knows his rugby league

he's neither of these things MH

I am absolutely sure he isn't, I was just referring to the original post!

#20 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

bigoted, no. dinosaur, well since they announced the return of P&R, i'm in raptors.

:)