Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is it really all my fault?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#21 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

I chuckled.....

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I am absolutely sure he isn't, I was just referring to the original post!

that's a different story

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

bigoted, no. dinosaur, well since they announced the return of P&R, i'm in raptors.

They haven't announced the return of P&R

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#24 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

They haven't announced the return of P&R

and that's not how you spell raptures either. pedant

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#25 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

and that's not how you spell raptures either. pedant

!!!!

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#26 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

bigoted, no. dinosaur, well since they announced the return of P&R, i'm in raptors.

Some of us saw that sharp beacon of humour...!!

#27 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Your perpetual misery and that of your fellow travellers IS to blame for many of the games ills...

It isn't, though. It really isn't. How can it be? We supporters of the lower league teams number only a few thousand; it doesn't matter what we think, no one beyond internet forums hears us, listens to us, or reacts to us. We are irrelevant to the outside perception of the sport, irrelevant to decisions made inside the sport. Our teams have had no say in the organisation of the game for a good while. The profile, progress, development, status and prospects of British rugby league are not down to us, or our teams.

Nor am I immersed in perpetual misery. My team is doing OK, has a secure future, and provides me with a significant amount of entertaining involvement. The overall structure of the sport doesn't matter to me, I doubt we'll ever be in Super League. I have no issue with promotion and relegation: it will turn out to have surprising little effect on the sport.

If I have concerns, it is with the game on the field. I once believed it was the most wonderful sport in the world, full of skill, craft and courage: now, it can seem more like a homogeneous high speed battering contest, played by very large men, and orchestrated by a referee with a loud and nagging voice. I wonder if outsiders and potential new fans and players might see something dubious in it, something detached, arcane and inaccessible.

#28 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

...talk the sport up don't try and death ride it until you get the chance to say 'I told you so'

This isn't me. I want it to prosper. I want future generations to watch and play it. It's a valuable sport, and should not be lost. Most agree that there are problems, which I believe derive from the game attempting to be something it isn't. A very careful and honest study is needed to define exactly what British rugby league is, and what it can be.

In fact, I'd suggest mine is a healthier view than the one held by those who believe that the entire sport should be constructed in order to provide Leeds and Warrington with a fixture list of their choice.

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

This isn't me. I want it to prosper. I want future generations to watch and play it. It's a valuable sport, and should not be lost. Most agree that there are problems, which I believe derive from the game attempting to be something it isn't. A very careful and honest study is needed to define exactly what British rugby league is, and what it can be.

In fact, I'd suggest mine is a healthier view than the one held by those who believe that the entire sport should be constructed in order to provide Leeds and Warrington with a fixture list of their choice.

what should rugby league be then?

Keeping it local

#30 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

... cheer up. Interest is growing in new areas - see championship 1. We are soon starting a world cup, potentially the best ever, talk the sport up...

Those of us who have been disenfranchised can easily see the Super League cartel as a different sport: it chose a different name, and has different operational rules on and off the field. To some of us, England is Super League – from which we have been excluded – and can be surprisingly difficult to get behind. A visiting Australian team, though, is exciting, as are the other teams we rarely see. I'm looking forward to it.

#31 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

what should rugby league be then?

What it is, and what it realistically can be, are the important questions.

Its combination of footwork, ball handling, kicking, running, evading, team organisation and individual responsibility to the team, have always made it, for me, the perfect sport, and it should have a much higher profile than it does. But these dreams are a poor basis for planning the future.

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

What it is, and what it realistically can be, are the important questions.

Its combination of footwork, ball handling, kicking, running, evading, team organisation and individual responsibility to the team, have always made it, for me, the perfect sport, and it should have a much higher profile than it does. But these dreams are a poor basis for planning the future.

but that's exactly what we have

what should it realistically be then?

Keeping it local

#33 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

I wonder if outsiders and potential new fans and players might see something dubious in it, something detached, arcane and inaccessible.

I think they're more likely to be put off by all the incessant navel gazing that goes on in all corners of Rugby League in this country. As a sport we spend more time talking about the merits and demerits of league structures, licensing and mechanisms of promotion & relegation than we do extolling the entertainment the players on the pitch provide each week irrespective of what competition they happen to be playing in. In other words, if we project the image to the outside world that even we don't think the game is much cop, it's little wonder we struggle to attract new interest, regardless of how we structure our competitions. We can't see the wood for the trees.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#34 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think they're more likely to be put off by all the incessant navel gazing that goes on in all corners of Rugby League in this country. As a sport we spend more time talking about the merits and demerits of league structures, licensing and mechanisms of promotion & relegation than we do extolling the entertainment the players on the pitch provide each week irrespective of what competition they happen to be playing in. In other words, if we project the image to the outside world that even we don't think the game is much cop, it's little wonder we struggle to attract new interest, regardless of how we structure our competitions. We can't see the wood for the trees.

we do on fans forums, because that's the place for it

John this isn't the real world

Keeping it local

#35 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,831 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Those of us who have been disenfranchised can easily see the Super League cartel as a different sport: it chose a different name, and has different operational rules on and off the field. To some of us, England is Super League – from which we have been excluded – and can be surprisingly difficult to get behind. A visiting Australian team, though, is exciting, as are the other teams we rarely see. I'm looking forward to it.

But then every sport has its showbiz league with different rule interpretations and operations than the semi-pro and amateur game.  I know more than a few football fans who can't watch the Premier League due to all its diving, referee abuse and so on.  I know more than a few rugby union fans who can't watch their Premiership because it's just one big reset scrum with referee pedantry and so on.  I know more than a few rugby league fans who can't watch Super League because of all the persistent dummy half runs, weak refereeing and so on.

As a fan of a club not in the pro league of your sport, where there are plenty of concessions for TV audiences and full-time professional athletes, you don't have to like it but you should respect it.  Look at the BARB figures for Super League, regularly in the weekly top 10 for Sky Sports, even during the peak football and union seasons and regularly out-rating rugby union's big matches with run-of-the-mill SL matches.  Even the more recent Monday night games still get into the weekly channel top 10.  For me, that proves there's a good audience for our professional sport as it is.  To call it a failure is just one-eyed reading of the figures at its worst.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#36 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

...what should it realistically be then?

That's too hard a question for me.

Throughout its history, it has proved extremely difficult, almost impossible, to generate a sustained appetite for the sport in new areas. If it is to be done, it will need a much more selfless approach from the top clubs. When I see Leeds sacrificing their home advantage to play Saint Helens at Nottingham in a high profile, well advertised, low priced, televised fixture, I will feel a beginning has been made. Or Warrington v Wigan at Bristol, or Hull v Hull KR at Newcastle. When London is generously centrally funded, sufficient for a top team, their matches low priced, televised, well advertised, taken to various venues around the capital, I'll feel progress is being made. Replacing Catalans by the French national side could be a move forward. All clubs forced to run U12, U14, U16, U18, U20 teams would be progress, in my opinion.

But I also believe a change to the on field view of the game would help. Re-adjusting the rules to reduce the value of size and power, so increasing the need for a wider range of skills, making the game just a little more accessible to smaller and more nimble players could increase junior participation.

But that's nothing more than a personal vision for taking the game forward. I'm sure there are more effective ones.

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

That's too hard a question for me.

Throughout its history, it has proved extremely difficult, almost impossible, to generate a sustained appetite for the sport in new areas. If it is to be done, it will need a much more selfless approach from the top clubs. When I see Leeds sacrificing their home advantage to play Saint Helens at Nottingham in a high profile, well advertised, low priced, televised fixture, I will feel a beginning has been made. Or Warrington v Wigan at Bristol, or Hull v Hull KR at Newcastle. When London is generously centrally funded, sufficient for a top team, their matches low priced, televised, well advertised, taken to various venues around the capital, I'll feel progress is being made. Replacing Catalans by the French national side could be a move forward. All clubs forced to run U12, U14, U16, U18, U20 teams would be progress, in my opinion.

But I also believe a change to the on field view of the game would help. Re-adjusting the rules to reduce the value of size and power, so increasing the need for a wider range of skills, making the game just a little more accessible to smaller and more nimble players could increase junior participation.

But that's nothing more than a personal vision for taking the game forward. I'm sure there are more effective ones.

Smaller than Rob Burrow?

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

we do on fans forums, because that's the place for it

John this isn't the real world

Unfortunately, for far too many people forums, twitter, facebook etc are the real world.

Views are spread over social media extremely quickly nowadays, much of it negative for RL. I think only Joey Barton and Wayne Rooney actually like RL!

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Those of us who have been disenfranchised?

Have you ever been franchised?

Have you ever put forward your views to anyone at the RFL?

The long term trend in the game is for increasing attendances and increasing viewers

However , it seems to me that has also been an increase in those who fear that this increasing popularity and  expansion will result in the loss of control of the game from the "heartlands" and the loss of some small town Northern clubs.

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

but that's exactly what we have

what should it realistically be then?

Always questions, never answers.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users