Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

uk rl needs to mouth off

wrestling style

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

so we have taught sl stars how to respond to cameras?

alex murphy style? no mr meek style

lets have some mouthpieces ruffling feathers in the sporting arena "randy savage style"

"british lions? never heard of em mate! tell em to come have a crack at a real game"

"southerners need to toughen up and see if they are made of the same metal as us"

"people are afraid of the intensity of our sport" join us don't be scared!

or just more "humble interviews" thanks for the watch.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,498 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

a good point well made

we know our place too much

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I don't think we need to lower ourselves.

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

I don't think we need to lower ourselves.

INSULER

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

lets have some mouthpieces ruffling feathers in the sporting arena "randy savage style"

lol, yeah:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=42u00jqhRbY

#6 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

so we have taught sl stars how to respond to cameras?

alex murphy style? no mr meek style

"british lions? never heard of em mate! tell em to come have a crack at a real game"

"southerners need to toughen up and see if they are made of the same metal as us"

"people are afraid of the intensity of our sport" join us don't be scared!

or just more "humble interviews" thanks for the watch.

A bit like Stevo (but younger and more athletic)?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#7 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I was thinking a little less camp (although don't tell him I said that!).

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

I agree to a point, problem is most of the quotes from the likes of Murphy were only read in newspapers, these day Television is the media of choice for news, our players, in the main, do not come across well on TV.

What I do hate is the rent a quote "quality opposition", "its always hard when you come here" etc.

We have a media management problem at clubs, clubs think media management is about controlling what people say, it isn't, its about managing 

where what people say appears.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Like it

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,498 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

I agree to a point, problem is most of the quotes from the likes of Murphy were only read in newspapers, these day Television is the media of choice for news, our players, in the main, do not come across well on TV.

What I do hate is the rent a quote "quality opposition", "its always hard when you come here" etc.

We have a media management problem at clubs, clubs think media management is about controlling what people say, it isn't, its about managing 

where what people say appears.

yes

I speak from personal experience

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

I quite liked the David Ferriol quotes that he was going to smash Adrian Morley in the Cup Semi's a couple of years ago - which it turned out were made up by the RFL media dept!  :aggressive:

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I quite liked the David Ferriol quotes that he was going to smash Adrian Morley in the Cup Semi's a couple of years ago - which it turned out were made up by the RFL media dept!  :aggressive:

Most quotes put out in press releases these days are from the media department and the player/coach etc. never said them, even when they appear on club TV its all scripted by the media department.

The media department shouldn't be about creating the message it has to be about delivering it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Finally... The Rock, HAS COME BACK, to St. Helens!!!

... I like it!

Posted Image

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

We need to issue a challenge: RL fans v RU & soccer fans (both gay) outside school gates on last day of term.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#15 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

I'm all for this - gerrintoum

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#16 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,640 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Jamie Jones Buchanan: 'I can't wait to eat Paul Gallen and Sonny Bill for breakfast'

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#17 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

I don't know what's more surprising, that the above quote was made up or that the RFL actually have a media department.

#18 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

But seriously, we don't want to get down to the depths of, say,  boxing's "pre fight hype" rubbish do we ?

#19 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

But seriously, we don't want to get down to the depths of, say,  boxing's "pre fight hype" rubbish do we ?

Maybe not quite that far, but boxing does seem to attract plenty of viewers so there must be something in it.

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

To be honest, I kind of agree. I was thinking about this the other day. I think RL is becoming a bit too sterile. Too clean. We keep trying to be the most morally superior sport and personally I think it holds us back. I think it's great that we have these high values, but as the saying goes "controversy creates cash". There's a reason why we get in the papers for the frowned upon things!

There's a balance obviously, but I don't think sitting on our high horse is going to help with promoting the game IMO.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users