Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nationwide RL Hubs - Riley's Bars

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I know this is probably a disgrace considering we have no Title Sponsor, but the RFL have joined up with Riley's to have hubs where they will show live games on their screens:

http://www.rlwc2013....ubs-launched-in

I'm hopeful that they will do this in Edinburgh, as whilst I have Premier it will be nice to watch a couple of the games in pubs which can be tough at times up here.

Good stuff if done properly.

#2 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Excellent news

The game is slowly turning the corner, on all fronts.

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm hopeful that they will do this in Edinburgh, as whilst I have Premier it will be nice to watch a couple of the games in pubs which can be tough at times up here.

Yep, Edinburgh's on the list mate!

Posted Image

#4 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Nice

#5 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

A great initiative!  How about cheap beer for fans who produce their season ticket as well      :drinks:

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Good news.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've been there playing snooker before, it's not bad, I suppose my hesitation is whether the RL will just be on as standard, whether they will promote it via the Edinburgh Eagles etc?

Otherwise all that will happen is that they will end up with other sports on instead.

I'll certainly be giving it a go anyway!

I get it on in a couple of other pubs round Edinburgh and other customers do keep an eye on it, the problem is that no commentary means it is easy to ignore.

#8 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Excellent news

The game is slowly turning the corner, on all fronts.

Quite agree, plenty to be positive about ! There is a major recession which we riding the rough end of....we will survive stronger better...faster !

#9 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Any link up with a reputable organisation gets a thumbs up for mine. Well done the RFL!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#10 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Quite agree, plenty to be positive about ! There is a major recession which we riding the rough end of....we will survive stronger better...faster !

spot on. It amazes how the recession seems to get forgotten in these debates. I work for a large care charity which is looking to end unsocial hours payments which the 3k support workers we employ rely on to make ends meet. Many tough times to come and league us doing a very good job of riding that storm, without making any assumptions about the demographics of league supporters. A successful World Cup will drive us through and in a good position to take advantage if an upturn.
On the Riley thing the only thing is the inevitable football fans demanding to see the second leg of the under 20s European wotsit or whatever. They always get their way, but it's a good attempt to bolster the sport.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#11 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Jaysus, wish it was somewhere I'd be less likely to get filleted :)

Actually, that's a little harsh.

Dave T - where do you often end up? Chances of me travelling across to Meadowbank are slim!

Edited by EdinburghExile, 13 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Jaysus, wish it was somewhere I'd be less likely to get filleted :)

Actually, that's a little harsh.

Dave T - where do you often end up? Chances of me travelling across to Meadowbank are slim!

:hunter:  I'm not sure you were being harsh tbh, but I quite like the place!

I live in the City centre mate, so I have watched plenty of matches in the Queen's Arms on Frederick Street or recently in the Thistle Street Bar - they are both usually happy to put the games on for me, but without commentary so it does take something away from it.

You have any recommendations?

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

:hunter:  I'm not sure you were being harsh tbh, but I quite like the place!

Bearing in mind though Dave, you ARE from Warrington.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I know this is probably a disgrace considering we have no Title Sponsor, but the RFL have joined up with Riley's to have hubs where they will show live games on their screens.

I agree that if this is done properly it is a great idea.  Let's hope real effort is put into it and that fans local to the bars are able to take advantage of the partnership.

On the point about a title sponsor, Blake Solly is quoted in Forty 20 magazine this month as stating pretty categorically that Superleague will have a title sponsor within six months (which presumably means for next season). 

Personally, I think Blake Solly is the only RFL rep worth listening to.  He actually speaks English for a start off rather than Council speak.

#15 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Like it :)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Bearing in mind though Dave, you ARE from Warrington.

That is a very good point, I can't even pretend to be offended!  :tongue:

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I've just received an email from the RFL saying that the first time I go to Riley's to watch a match I will also get free membership to Riley's a free pint and two hours free snooker or pool. This offer is open to RFL members. Does that only mean Nigel, Brian and Ralph can take advantage of it?

http://iota.ecommzon...669ad1/home.htm

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

been tweeted by rileys in birmingham that all televised RL games will be shown on the big screen
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#19 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

You have any recommendations?

Can't say I do - I watched the cup final last year in Lock 25, I left next to the Golden Rule, they'll put it on too, and Cargo is where I watched the Grand Final, I think that's where Edinburgh Eagles drink, possibly one of them manages there. No commentary anywhere though. Also, someone has put a Rhinos supporters group together recently, although it seems pretty quiet. They got the Golf Tavern to put a match on, no commentary!

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Can't say I do - I watched the cup final last year in Lock 25, I left next to the Golden Rule, they'll put it on too, and Cargo is where I watched the Grand Final, I think that's where Edinburgh Eagles drink, possibly one of them manages there. No commentary anywhere though. Also, someone has put a Rhinos supporters group together recently, although it seems pretty quiet. They got the Golf Tavern to put a match on, no commentary!

Maybe you need to convert to Rhinoism Dave.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users