RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

more investment at featherstone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#61 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

But let's be clear - he did invest in the club when there was no P&R?

Also, he has invested in the team - he said so in the press releases - his quote (thanks Ian) saying he would only invest to make them competitive for Championship trophies is, well... exactly what he should be doing isn't it?

Yes he definitely did Dave. I thought I'd explained that above. We were on course to get a licence according to sources at the club and Feisal bought into that and funded the signing of players to hopefully make Rovers as good as they could be as a Championship club.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yes he definitely did Dave. I thought I'd explained that above. We were on course to get a licence according to sources at the club and Feisal bought into that and funded the signing of players to hopefully make Rovers as good as they could be as a Championship club.

Thanks, I have been dipping in and out of this thread so may have missed some things.

My questions were around the fact that you stated that he didn;t want to heavily invest until P&R was back, yet tbh he has been heavily investing already. He may now be stepping it up, but for the last 12months he has been talking about investing in the infrastructure through sponsorship and then investment.

What is he now going to invest £1-2m in? I assume there will still be a salary cap preventing OTT player investment?

Anyway, apart from all that, good news, as is any investment in RL.

#63 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

But let's be clear - he did invest in the club when there was no P&R?

Also, he has invested in the team - he said so in the press releases - his quote (thanks Ian) saying he would only invest to make them competitive for Championship trophies is, well... exactly what he should be doing isn't it?

He did make his initial investment when there was publicly no P&R. We've no idea how long these proposals have been talked about behind closed doors.

He needs to strike a balance with his investment between improving staff and spectator facilities, the playing squad and revenue generating infrastructure.

He seems a pretty astute bloke, no reason to doubt he can achieve this.

#64 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Apologies for the multiples error on posting, blimey you take an age to reply then 5 come along at once!

Edited by Fax1978, 14 July 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#65 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

As above

Edited by Fax1978, 14 July 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#66 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

And again

Edited by Fax1978, 14 July 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#67 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

And again

Edited by Fax1978, 14 July 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#68 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

there seems to be too much politics stacked against them

such as what? I doubt you can back that victimhood up.

It's not victimisation, it's the situation it stems from being à team geographically trapped in an area with two 'larger' teams and the fact that rather than expanding the size of sl it is going to contract simple no room at the top.
The political overtures I mention stem from the obvious reluctance at the rfl to add more teams to sl.

#69 rovers rise again

rovers rise again
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

as soonas this pub ( club bar) closes the revelution starts!!!!

#70 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

I'm delighted at the way investment seems to be going their way, time for them to have their chance after 17 years. But I don't agree that wedges of such as £100K and £1M - £2M is "doing it from the bottom up". Sure they are investing in more than a first team so they are creating a sound base, if that's what you meant, but if and when they get there it will be large private investment that gets them there.

Starting out from CC1 and getting to Sl via p and r. as opposed to  being artificially boosted into the competition via a licence.This method is known as bottom up 

#71 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

ah the same featherstone fans who made all the snide comments about widnes being bank rolled by steve o'connor and buying their way into super league...............short memories boys and girls.

Widnes got a licence. Fev will, hopefully,get promoted. Widnes never put out a team remotely likely to win promotion when they were in the Championship.

#72 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Read through the threads regarding the proposed new systems and bringing back p&r and there's loads of comments saying the the reactionaries have got there way and that we'll be back to winter rugby being played in front of blokes in their flat caps with whippets, that people who want p&r back are self serving and don't care about the game. Lots of sweeping comments like that.
It just seems to me if you don't agree with the way the game has been run over the last few years you're classed as an ageing dinosaur who doesn't care about the game and that's not the case, it's just that some people don't think that licensing has worked and would like to see it changed. And I think there's certainly an argument to be made that that's the case

Exactly.

#73 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

as soonas this pub ( club bar) closes the revelution starts!!!!

Alex Glasgow lives!

#74 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

[quote name="Rover and out" post="2746235" timestamp="1373821047"]

Read through the threads regarding the proposed new systems and bringing back p&r and there's loads of comments saying the the reactionaries have got there way and that we'll be back to winter rugby being played in front of blokes in their flat caps with whippets, that people who want p&r back are self serving and don't care about the game. Lots of sweeping comments like that.
It just seems to me if you don't agree with the way the game has been run over the last few years you're classed as an ageing dinosaur who doesn't care about the game and that's not the case, it's just that some people don't think that licensing has worked and would like to see it changed. And I think there's certainly an argument to be made that that's the case[/quote

A gross distortion.

#75 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

It says that they are now exploring two options, 1 which has the 8x3 split, and one which has more traditional P&R, so it would appear based on the RFL press release that it will be one of these two options.

Not quite...and appearances can be deceptive.

The words are ' a more traditional....' In a game where a p and r is not traditional

#76 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Not quite...and appearances can be deceptive.

The words are ' a more traditional....' In a game where a p and r is not traditional

We have had P&R for much of the last 40 years. That is what many RL fans will know.

To them its traditional.

#77 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

What are you talking about? We won't be buying our way into SL as we've the opportunity to achieve promotion the right way now haven't we? Read the article, the investment isn't for second rate overseas players, its for developing facilities to promote excellence in young up and coming British lads.

so you know for certain P&R is on the way back? i haven't seen any official announcement.as for second rate over seas players? kevin brown, gareth hock, joey mellor, danny tickle etc etc etc all english and add to those that have come through the ranks like craven, owens, lawton, gore etc hardly a second rate overseas player amongst them unless you think rhys hanbury and hep cahill are second rate?
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#78 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

We have had P&R for much of the last 40 years. That is what many RL fans will know.

To them its traditional.

We used send children up chimneys for longer than that
Lets bring it back after all by your definition it's traditional

The reactionaries have hi jacked the word tradition

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#79 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

It's not victimisation, it's the situation it stems from being à team geographically trapped in an area with two 'larger' teams and the fact that rather than expanding the size of sl it is going to contract simple no room at the top.
The political overtures I mention stem from the obvious reluctance at the rfl to add more teams to sl.

You are right it isn't victimisation
It's victim hood and you provide to be honest a low level example of it

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#80 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Widnes got a licence. Fev will, hopefully,get promoted. Widnes never put out a team remotely likely to win promotion when they were in the Championship.

did we not appear in two grand finals then? was i just dreaming that??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users