Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

results

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Milford Marlins 9 v 8 Kells

winger Martin Loveridge kicked the winning field goal in the 1st set in extra time for the golden point win. 

Kells are a very good side and will be pushing up the leagues in next few years. 

Edited by old papa, 14 July 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#22 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Really. Did the sub zero temperature and hail stone effect handling?

The horrible conditions quote came from a player,not from someone enjoying a pint and a pie on the touchline.

Player welfare is a key concern something that is lost in a lot of peoples eyes I spoke with several players who to a man said they did not enjoy player in those conditions ..

Edited by TaxiEgg, 15 July 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#23 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

We had a player who really suffered from dehydration this weekend, I can assure you it is no laughing matter. Could be very serious indeed. 

#24 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

If anybody does not think Rugby League is  working in the summer they should have been at the  Archie Gordon ground yesterday Milford Marlins 9 v 8 Kells Golden point win for the Marlins. superb game with all 34 players been a credit to the game everyone gave their all in blistering heat. ( plenty of water breaks) good crowd and the bar was packed 3 hours after the game. even the Leeds Rhinos players watch a large part of the game.  

O Well then, everybody can stop expressing there concerns now than, and just get on with it, I always knew it was a myth that players got married and went on holidays and so on in the summer,

stop moaning you winter lovers, there is nothing wrong with Summer rugby,

Edited by sbull, 15 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#25 super_reff

super_reff
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

We had a player who really suffered from dehydration this weekend, I can assure you it is no laughing matter. Could be very serious indeed.

Who's fault is that?
www.procompress.co.uk

#26 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

O Well then, everybody can stop expressing there concerns now than, and just get on with it, I always knew it was a myth that players got married and went on holidays and so on in the summer,

stop moaning you winter lovers, there is nothing wrong with Summer rugby,

The problem is that people like you change every tread into a I hate summer tread.I was  just pointing out that all the things you and others moan about where on show at the Milford Kells game, but because I am not slating summer it does not suit you grow up and understand that not everybody agrees with you!!!.

don't players get married in the months of March, April, May, Aug, Sept, and Oct I agree holidays are a problem and this IMO is one area that needs looking at, not sure what can be done but  discussion is needed. but unless the unsatisfied clubs bring it up at a meeting it will not get discussed.

One area of the game that does need looking at is youth and that needs looking at sooner rather than later IMO it is now very close to a point of no return.   

#27 old fiddle

old fiddle
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

But all teams have players that get married go on holiday etc. very few fail to raise a team at all so it should even itself out over a season.

Any team who,s players don,t go on holiday as much should technically win the league, and would deserve to for their commitment

#28 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

The problem is that people like you change every tread into a I hate summer tread.I was  just pointing out that all the things you and others moan about where on show at the Milford Kells game, but because I am not slating summer it does not suit you grow up and understand that not everybody agrees with you!!!.

don't players get married in the months of March, April, May, Aug, Sept, and Oct I agree holidays are a problem and this IMO is one area that needs looking at, not sure what can be done but  discussion is needed. but unless the unsatisfied clubs bring it up at a meeting it will not get discussed.

One area of the game that does need looking at is youth and that needs looking at sooner rather than later IMO it is now very close to a point of no return.   

Do you think it was right for the RFL to direct service area kids to certain amateur clubs?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#29 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Who's fault is that?

Sorry super ref I am not a doctor and cant really answer that one. But dont think playing in 30 degree temperatures would have helped do you ? So who do you think is at fault ? 

#30 super_reff

super_reff
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

Of course it wouldn't help but the players must take some responsibility for themselves. I would hope players would think about preparation and recovery regarding hydration a bit more with the weather as it is.
www.procompress.co.uk

#31 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Thing is do we educate our players ?

You cant find much advice on most RL websites and in these hot weather conditions that advice should paramount .

Top Tips For Staying Hydrated
•If you’re properly hydrated your urine should be pale and clear. If it’s dark and strong smelling, you’re dehydrated
•Start the day with a glass of water. Alternatively a mug of freshly boiled water and a slice of lemon. In summer add a fresh sprig of mint and fresh lemon slices to a jug of cold water
•Drink little and often through the day and more during training
•Drink from a bottle of water to measure daily intake until you are used to drinking enough
•Elite athletes should drink a minimum of three litres a day plus whatever is required during training. NOTE: This quanitity is a guideline for adult elite athletes and should not be used by children
•In training, consume at least 250ml of fluid every 15 minutes
•Drink during a game whenever it is offered
•Drink cool fluids as they are absorbed faster
•Avoid carbonated or fizzy drinks, they are commonly very high in refined sugars and contain a lot of gas that will leave you feeling full before you are hydrated
•Pre-hydrate by drinking a little extra fluid in the 2 days before a game
•Weigh yourself before and after training. A one kilogram loss of body weight represents a need for at least 1.2 litres of fluid to be replaced
•The use of isotonic drinks after a match or in training speeds up fluid replacement and maintains blood sugar levels during training and playing. They also help you retain more fluid than water alone as they contain electrolytes
•Re-hydrate properly by drinking before you begin to eat any high sugar food or drinks, since these will slow down the rate that you are able to absorb the fluids you require
•A large amount of caffeine or alcohol is bad news, so don’t have more than two or three cups of coffee or tea a day or one to two units of alcohol. Both are recognised to have a diuretic effect, producing more urine, and causing you to become dehydrated further
•Thirst is a poor indicator of dehydration. If you use thirst as your guide, you can be 50-70% more dehydrated than by following the guidelines above

#32 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

You cant find much advice on most RL websites and in these hot weather conditions that advice should paramount .

•If you’re properly hydrated your urine should be pale and clear. If it’s dark and strong smelling, you’re dehydrated
•Start the day with a glass of water. Alternatively a mug of freshly boiled water and a slice of lemon. In summer add a fresh sprig of mint and fresh lemon slices to a jug of cold water
•Drink from a bottle of water to measure daily intake until you are used to drinking enough
•Elite athletes should drink a minimum of three litres a day plus whatever is required during training. NOTE: This quanitity is a guideline for adult elite athletes and should not be used by children
•Avoid carbonated or fizzy drinks, they are commonly very high in refined sugars and contain a lot of gas that will leave you feeling full before you are hydrated
•Weigh yourself before and after training. A one kilogram loss of body weight represents a need for at least 1.2 litres of fluid to be replaced
•The use of isotonic drinks after a match or in training speeds up fluid replacement and maintains blood sugar levels during training and playing. They also help you retain more fluid than water alone as they contain electrolytes
•Re-hydrate properly by drinking before you begin to eat any high sugar food or drinks, since these will slow down the rate that you are able to absorb the fluids you require
•A large amount of caffeine or alcohol is bad news, so don’t have more than two or three cups of coffee or tea a day or one to two units of alcohol. Both are recognised to have a diuretic effect, producing more urine, and causing you to become dehydrated further
•Thirst is a poor indicator of dehydration. If you use thirst as your guide, you can be 50-70% more dehydrated than by following the guidelines above

Thanks for your info taxi, if players would follow guidelines I am sure that the problem would be eased. As we all know some lads preperation is not as throrough as it could be, but we still have a duty of care to all our players that we should consider.

#33 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

I don't hate Summer,  I love my Rugby, and its being ruined by people in authority by manipulation, Summer rugby has been around for a long time and suits some teams,  

lets not pretend this is something the clubs wanted, its what the RFL wanted so they could attract more funds, this is why some people believe that the RFL tell the NCL what to do, are STRONGLY recommend by the way of advice like what the NCL committee did to its members telling them which way to vote, 

now I have your attention, prior to me posting a few Facts on how many Games get called off, Do you class the reserve teams of the NCL clubs as part off the NCL family are do you see them as collateral damage??  for instance if the Fact show that a considerable more games get called off due to no players  would this be enough  evidence for you

are will you sit back and wait until multiple first teams games start to get called off, 

so the same can be said People like you putting Rubbish on here how good summer is with no regards to what happens outside the first team,

something needs doing about the youth section, well there an understatement, I have got an idea!! why not put it back to how it used to be!!!  in winter when they could actually play.

please feel free to completely ignore this thread,  they are only minor issues about the game,

when some major issues are raised on here, the silence from some folk is deafening.

#34 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

I don't hate Summer,  I love my Rugby, and its being ruined by people in authority by manipulation, Summer rugby has been around for a long time and suits some teams,  

lets not pretend this is something the clubs wanted, its what the RFL wanted so they could attract more funds, this is why some people believe that the RFL tell the NCL what to do, are STRONGLY recommend by the way of advice like what the NCL committee did to its members telling them which way to vote, 

now I have your attention, prior to me posting a few Facts on how many Games get called off, Do you class the reserve teams of the NCL clubs as part off the NCL family are do you see them as collateral damage??  for instance if the Fact show that a considerable more games get called off due to no players  would this be enough  evidence for you

are will you sit back and wait until multiple first teams games start to get called off, 

so the same can be said People like you putting Rubbish on here how good summer is with no regards to what happens outside the first team,

something needs doing about the youth section, well there an understatement, I have got an idea!! why not put it back to how it used to be!!!  in winter when they could actually play.

please feel free to completely ignore this thread,  they are only minor issues about the game,

when some major issues are raised on here, the silence from some folk is deafening.

Are you associated with an NCL team because it seems a thread round here that all NCL clubs do as they are told and imply a very low opionion of them.

The players must want to play summer or they would not play yes there are holidays , wedding etc but i would have thought most clubs if not all voted the way their players wanted to play if not surely these players would leave.

You say lets not pretend its something the clubs wanted then why didnt they vote against it and why doesnt it get brought up at the last meeting when other points did and were strongly argued.

#35 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

In fairness to S Bull he is connected to an NCL club that voted against Summer rugby, he has played for 2 clubs at NCL level, and even though he is well into the veteran stage he played for his club at the weekend to help out, he also coaches at second team level, so his views are formed from what he is seeing at his own club, personally i prefered winter rugby but my own club voted summer, but as you can see from my user name i am a dinosaur.:-)

#36 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

In fairness to S Bull he is connected to an NCL club that voted against Summer rugby, he has played for 2 clubs at NCL level, and even though he is well into the veteran stage he played for his club at the weekend to help out, he also coaches at second team level, so his views are formed from what he is seeing at his own club, personally i prefered winter rugby but my own club voted summer, but as you can see from my user name i am a dinosaur.:-)

That fair everyone is entitled to their opionion and i believe ever club with have some players admin that would have prefered to stop in the old format  but on the whole i think most players must prefer the switch

With regards Youth i dont think anyone thinks the switch has worked and the rfl summer youth league was a complete disaster and has caused i beleive a lot of problems at a lot of clubs.i still think it might have worked if the RFL had supported it and not left it high and dry

#37 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

That fair everyone is entitled to their opionion and i believe ever club with have some players admin that would have prefered to stop in the old format  but on the whole i think most players must prefer the switch

With regards Youth i dont think anyone thinks the switch has worked and the rfl summer youth league was a complete disaster and has caused i beleive a lot of problems at a lot of clubs.i still think it might have worked if the RFL had supported it and not left it high and dry

in your opinion you think most players must prefer summer,  that is an interesting opinion,  would you care to elaborate on the reason why you think this?  when it is a FACT not an opinion that we now have much fewer player participation,  take a look at how many teams have failed to field  a team, are  asked to drop down a few divisions,

how often did a winter base team have to ask for a friendly in mid season when they were playing in a competitive  season?

how many times were teams told just tern up with 9 players if that's all you can get and the other team will play you with the same amount ?

compere the last two summer season with the traditional seasons,  how many teams have failed to complete  there season in the last two years,

I had an opinion three years ago on what would happen,   now I don't need an opinion I can see what is happening.    

I look forward to your response,

#38 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Had some good feedback from the younger lads on this, some have reported that they had suffered from headache after training sessions and pin pointed the lack of preparation before hand.

Edited by Marauder, 16 July 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#39 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Really. Did the sub zero temperature and hail stone effect handling?

poor HANDLING in the challenge cup games at the weekend has been contributed to the ball being terrible to handle with sweaty hands and it was also said that when they tried to hold the ball tight to their chest the ball was also slippy against their shirts..

#40 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

I agree with you the youth should go back to winter, I have always said the summer will be more suited to some  clubs than others and no I don't hate winter rugby I played in it for 30 years. with regards to your question on the Reserve Teams of the NCL they are part of the NCl clubs so yes they are part of the NCL family but our reserves play in the YML which so far this season does not appear to have had as many call offs as last season with the teams been encouraged to find a alternative date for fixtures if they have had a problem raising a team. Prior to the switch to summer we played in the Yorkshire League were many games were called off mainly by A teams not been able to raise teams and that included my own club. Just a question to you now if we switched back to winter do you think that the player drop off would stop my feeling is no it would not. Back to my post the main thing I was trying to say was that people like yourself turn every post into a summer winter debate and yes I agree it does need debate but I think everybody on here is fully aware that the switch does not suit everybody but we do not need every tread turned into a summer winter debate.   

Edited by old papa, 17 July 2013 - 07:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users