JK: WE NEED TO NAIL THE BIG GAMES

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

www.batleybulldogs.co.uk caught up with head coach John Kear on Friday morning ahead of the critical weekend clash at Whitehaven to review events round the club.

With the Bulldogs coming off the back of a gruelling three-match run against Sheffield, Leigh and Featherstone, JK was keen to focus on the positives, despite recording three straight defeats.

"I have taken a lot of positives from these games, to be honest. We have competed in all three matches - at Leigh we were ordinary, but we still competed throughout and were very much in the game until the closing stages. We were also there or thereabouts in the games with Sheffield and Featherstone, but we do need to find a way of nailing these big games and nullifying the X factor players in the top 4.

"At Fev, I thought we made more of the running, but they have blue-chip players with more big-game experience and it showed. They nailed their chances, whereas we made a few wrong decisions which ultimately cost us the game. Having said that, I have taken heart from all three games".

With the Bulldogs approaching a run of games now which look eminently more winnable than recent fixtures, JK was asked if the aim now will be to make up ground on the top three and secure a favourable position in the play-offs.

"Our goal has always been to give ourselves a second chance in the play-offs and by that, I mean a top-four finish. That goal has not altered. Featherstone beating Halifax last night may have helped us in that respect and if we can pick up a win at Whitehaven on Sunday that will get us right back in the pack. I took positives from the game last night in that we ran Featherstone closer last week."

There has been a lot of talk around both the press and club websites about recruitment for 2014, and JK was keen to impress that this mid-season merry-go-round is not necessarily a bad thing, particularly for the players.

"I think it's a positive step that players no longer have to wait until September to secure their positions for the following season. Players were treated like meat and then there was a manic scramble in September. It seems fairer now that these negotiations can take place from May and it allows a much calmer approach across the board.

"Batley have offered deals to the vast majority of our squad and some may get better offers elsewhere. We can only spend what we have, and people should realise that. Our amount to spend may not be comparable to that of the others at the top, but I am happy with our recruitment and we will have a good starting XIII next season as we build the squad.

"All the players currently at the club are committed to Batley in 2013. The players are committed and will give their all and I'm at ease with that. Situations like this bring both frustration and challenge in equal measure. Players now want to come to Batley for both opportunity and development, and one of the things I enjoy most about coaching is player development and we are certainly doing that at the club".

All thoughts now turn to the Recreation Ground on Sunday, and a tough appointment with Whitehaven. The Bulldogs head coach was under no illusion with regard to the size of the task ahead, despite 'Haven's heavy defeat at Halifax last week.

"Don't let that defeat at Halifax fool you - it was nip and tuck until Whitehaven conceded five tries late on. They are a better team than that result and I've been telling our guys to look at their home record. They ran Halifax close and were the last team to beat Sheffield. They have a lot of quality and experience - Carl Sice, Paul Jackson, Patterson at 13, good halves and the Aussie kid on the wing Cameron has impressed me. Add in their dual-reg guys from Saints and they'll present us with a big challenge. It's important that we go there and play our game well".

With the club now entering the final stretch of the regular campaign, we asked JK to evaluate the season so far: "I'm really pleased. We're in fourth position as we enter the final eight games and we only play Halifax from the sides above us. It's been a satisfying campaign so far, but there's still lots to do. But yes, realistically, we're roughly where we would have wanted to be".

The head coach had a final message for the fans: "Just keep coming along and supporting us. We want to finish with a fluorish and enter the play-offs in good form. If we can get things right, we'll do just that!"

Finally, when questioned on his own personal plans, JK sounded as committed and enthusiastic as ever. "I'm having great fun at Batley. I like it here and there's no reason to move. Obviously if I was approached by an appropriate Super League club, I'd speak to them, but I have a great relationship with Kev Nicholas and Paul Harrison so there's no reason to change.

"My last year at Wakefield was difficult with financial restraints and a young squad and we were entering games in damage limitation mode. But at Batley it's different - we enter every game with the possibility of winning it and that brings its own excitement which I'm thoroughly enjoying!"

#2 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

never mind the big games....we need to nail the whitehavens/doncasters/yorks etc. etc. and we cant do that by the looks....season petering out to a damp squib me-thinks....whoever we end up playing in the playoffs will beat us easily....just not good enough,with too many 'big'  players thinking of their new clubs next year.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#3 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Looks like we need to nail the everyday matches as well.   All the hype and euphoria has evaporated in a very short time.  Four straight defeats including what looked to be something of a shambles at Whitehaven.   This is reminiscent of the bad old days.  Talk about fading ... we lost the second half 22-12, including three conceded tries in the last ten minutes.  Ok, we were a man down, but to go down from 30-20 up by conceding 18 points in 10 minutes has to be considered amateurish under any circumstances.  Top  four?  I don't think so.  

#4 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

16 points conceded in the last 10 mins, what happened? Interested to get the opinions of some of the fans who went up.

4 games lost in a row now, and when was the last time we conceded 36 points. Very worrying.

Haven are a decent team at home, but one we should be beating if we have any aspirations of doing anything in the play offs.

Does feel like the season is petering out after a promising start. It's also arguable whether we have made any real progress from last year. Although I suppose we have to remember that our budget compared to the top 4 teams is much less, which obviously has an effect.

Starting to think the clear out of players, albeit perhaps not all through the club's choice, isn't such a bad thing. Seems like we have gone stale.

#5 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

we haven't played anything like since our defeat to giants in the challenge cup..i predict defeat to doncaster at the mount next week will be the final nail in the season's coffin.our strength in defence seems to have gone and our attack is stale and predictable.....

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#6 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Don't like to criticise too much but got to agree with you IC.

Conceding 16 points in the last 7 minutes isn't good enough, whatever the circumstances.

#7 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Im going to try remain positive despite last ten minutes today. i think we will win all our remaining games n end up 2nd/3rd. im saying this firstly coz we have been IN everygame bar leigh away and secondly coz i think we can beat anyone on our day.... im prepared to be shot down though just trying to be positive :-)

#8 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Im going to try remain positive despite last ten minutes today. i think we will win all our remaining games n end up 2nd/3rd. im saying this firstly coz we have been IN everygame bar leigh away and secondly coz i think we can beat anyone on our day.... im prepared to be shot down though just trying to be positive :-)

I wish I could share your optimism Henry.

Just not sure what its based on. One excellent performance against an SL side and some competent efforts against teams where we would and should be targeting victory, no disrespect to them. And against some of those we also struggled at times.

Against the top four we have registered only bonus points and a fortunate draw against a complacent Halifax side who were well and truly in control of the game with 10 to go.

If we were improving week by week then a different story, but we have just conceded 16 points in 7 minutes to lose a game we should have won. And a total of 36 points in a game, the most for a long time.

I hope you are right but I think it would take a remarkable turnaround to finish 2/3rd. One I personally can't see at the moment.

#9 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

maybe ur rifht nick its probably more from.the heart but i think we will win next four n then its a trip to the shay..where we wiuld all love a win! then the confidence from that would give us a boost to beat leigh at home! then a sunny day of celebration in york... what do u think?!? ive had a few ciders by the way! but to be honest i expected a defeat today.... very dissappointed how it came about though.

#10 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

The defeat is disappointing, but it's the manner of defeat that's the real kick in the bits. To drop a 30-20 lead in the latter stages of a game is so "un-Batleylike"- as is to concede 36 points to a supposedly inferior outfit.

JK did suggest that Whitehaven would be a tough assignment, but as has been earlier stated, if we harbour genuine aspirations of the top 4, this was a game we had to win.

Despite being the eternal optimist, I feel as flat as a pancake tonight. Even the Rams are only 15 points behind us now!

#11 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

The defeat is disappointing, but it's the manner of defeat that's the real kick in the bits. To drop a 30-20 lead in the latter stages of a game is so "un-Batleylike"- as is to concede 36 points to a supposedly inferior outfit.

JK did suggest that Whitehaven would be a tough assignment, but as has been earlier stated, if we harbour genuine aspirations of the top 4, this was a game we had to win.

Despite being the eternal optimist, I feel as flat as a pancake tonight. Even the Rams are only 15 points behind us now!

#12 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

#13 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Nothing like re-emphasising your point! Damn smartphone.

#14 batley paul

batley paul
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Very very disappointing today, making it long drive back. Don't know what the matter is, but there seems something not right within the team. Talk of players already signed to go elsewhere can't be helping. Really hope the season doesn't just fizzle out to nothing.

#15 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

or not very smart phone

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013 Relegated  2014"

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#16 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

or not very smart phone

#17 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Turns out it's not my phone, it's this bleeding site!

(As you've just succumbed to yourself, John!)

#18 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Perhaps we have had the run of defeats so we face Workington (or whoever finishes 8th)at home in the first play off match rather than playiny away to the top side if we finish 4th

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Turns out it's not my phone, it's this bleeding site!

(As you've just succumbed to yourself, John!)

Yes I had the same problem yesterday. If it doesn't improve I might have to cancel my subscription.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Perhaps we have had the run of defeats so we face Workington (or whoever finishes 8th)at home in the first play off match rather than playiny away to the top side if we finish 4th

Ah, so it's actually a cunning plan.

The gnomic John Kear strikes again!!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users