Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where do France go if Toulouse don't get in sl

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#41 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Opinions, Wales have improved more, in fact they beat France to gain qualification for the 4N. But don't let facts put you off

In 2011. Don't let the fact that France beat Wales quite comfortably in last year's international tournament get in the way of your argument.

rldfsignature.jpg

#42 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

In 2011. Don't let the fact that France beat Wales quite comfortably in last year's international tournament get in the way of your argument.

So that warrants another cub in super league??

My point is they've not improved and Wales are their main rivals and not England due to recent results.

France don't deserve another spot at present in my opinion.

Last post on the matter from me.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 14 July 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#43 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

May point is

The Cheshire jet set has spoken.

rldfsignature.jpg

#44 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

The Cheshire jet set has spoken.

iPad for you. Only spoke to keep you happy :P

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 14 July 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Toulouse have never had a top flight full-time professional RL club! All Toulouse's data is from being a part-time club in a second tier competition. Featherstone, Leigh and Sheffield all have had chances in the big time. None of those clubs have averaged over 5k on any regular basis. It will be a real struggle for any of those to do that in the future.

This is not to say they could or should get a chance to play SL.

You could have made exactly the same comments about XIII Catalan/St Esteve (10 years ago) who were getting around 500-1000 playing semi-professional in Elite 1. They also got whacked by Wigan by 80 points in the Challenge cup in 2003-2004-ish. Now they are one of the 6-8 biggest RL clubs in the Northern Hemisphere and regularly average 8,000-10,000. This is from a population of 120,000.

Toulouse have 4x the population of Perpignan and 10x the population of Leigh. Unlike Sheffield, RL has been played there for 75 years. It would be madness not to tap into this potential. It was no surprise that 10-15k turned up for a 'big-time' RL game there last month. This could be a reality every other week in around 5 years.

Toulouse is the only club with the potential to become the next Leeds, Wigan, Warrington, Bradford, St Helens etc. We have plenty of candidates to become the next Salford, Castleford, Wakefield. In effect we are talking about two different markets.

Very good...

#46 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

iPad for you.

ipad! Flash Cheshire git.

rldfsignature.jpg

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

Toulouse have never had a top flight full-time professional RL club! All Toulouse's data is from being a part-time club in a second tier competition. Featherstone, Leigh and Sheffield all have had chances in the big time. None of those clubs have averaged over 5k on any regular basis. It will be a real struggle for any of those to do that in the future.

This is not to say they could or should get a chance to play SL.

You could have made exactly the same comments about XIII Catalan/St Esteve (10 years ago) who were getting around 500-1000 playing semi-professional in Elite 1. They also got whacked by Wigan by 80 points in the Challenge cup in 2003-2004-ish. Now they are one of the 6-8 biggest RL clubs in the Northern Hemisphere and regularly average 8,000-10,000. This is from a population of 120,000.

Toulouse have 4x the population of Perpignan and 10x the population of Leigh. Unlike Sheffield, RL has been played there for 75 years. It would be madness not to tap into this potential. It was no surprise that 10-15k turned up for a 'big-time' RL game there last month. This could be a reality every other week in around 5 years.

Toulouse is the only club with the potential to become the next Leeds, Wigan, Warrington, Bradford, St Helens etc. We have plenty of candidates to become the next Salford, Castleford, Wakefield. In effect we are talking about two different markets.

OK. Time will tell then. Let's hope they don't become the next Bradford, bankruptcy, falling gates, poor team.They will hopefully do better than that.

#48 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

Really don't see why everyone wants another French team in, another expensive trip for away fans to pay for and another fixture where no away fans turn up. Hardly any good for finances of clubs or supporters!!

That's the spirit! If you can't see the benefits, then you're already too far gone!

#49 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

Wales really comparing them to france lets see france around 90 clubs a decent top flight comp with averages crowds of 1500 and tv coverage of final, superleague franchise cc runner made finals 5 times average crowds of 8 to 10 k. National junior teams had victory over england and aussies recently.
Wales lets see a struggling domestic ameatur comp with 10 clubs that is it. 2 teams in lower tier semi pro uk set up. a national team proped up by heritage players and ex rugby u players.
Hosting wc no doubt crowds will be filled mainly by english to make it look better for lack of interest in game there.
But yeah wales.....morgan escare best young player in superleague.....he is french.

#50 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

If the French domestic scene is so strong, why do they need more help from SL?

#51 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

If the French domestic scene is so strong, why do they need more help from SL?

The same reason that New Zealand will eventually have another team in the NRL.  An area with a ready made fan base, and also expands the geographical footprint of the competition is a no brainer.  It gives those juniors who play in France another avenue to reach the pinnacle of their sport professionally. 

Edit:  Another team in New Zealand will also give the NRL leverage to get more for the TV rights from NZ next time as well.  As could the SuperLeague when looking at French TV.

Edited by LineBall, 15 July 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#52 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

So they get their way on P&R, and now they're starting on the French involvement in 'our' league. Great. What a future!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,052 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Where does the norhern hemisphere game go if Toulouse are not admitted?  Clearly more teams from the rhubarb triangle and fewer from elsewhere is the answer.

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

So they get their way on P&R, and now they're starting on the French involvement in 'our' league. Great. What a future!

Who are 'they'?

#55 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

The dirty unwashed

#56 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

Who are 'they'?

The people who have spent years complaining every single day about licencing, who have boycotted RFL events, who have filled the internet with garbage victimhood, who fought tooth and nail against clubs outside the heartlands, who fought Richard Lewis at every turn, who ignore evidence and logic and seem determined not to stop until they return RL to it's rightful place - a game played by part-time players at small clubs in the north of England.

#57 Roebuck90

Roebuck90
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

If I had to choose between an away game at Leigh Halifax or fev as opposed to one at Toulouse it would be a no brainer
A weekend in the south of France to watch the rugby eating and drinking and carousing is one of life's pure joys
Presumably you would have the cup final played at cleckheaton for the same reason.

Clecks a lovely place ha.

I think the majority would agree with you, but alot of people don't have that much spare money to be making trips to the south of France!

Edited by Roebuck90, 15 July 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#58 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

The people who have spent years complaining every single day about licencing, who have boycotted RFL events, who have filled the internet with garbage victimhood, who fought tooth and nail against clubs outside the heartlands, who fought Richard Lewis at every turn, who ignore evidence and logic and seem determined not to stop until they return RL to it's rightful place - a game played by part-time players at small clubs in the north of England.

Nad - See my earlier post regarding my stance as a Leigh fan. I dont think the opposition is down to the fans/clubs who despised licensing. The anti-Toulouse comments on here are from all clubs. I think your blaming of the likes of Leigh, Fev of Fax is unfair

As long as we have p&r, I'm fully behind Toulouse to get the nod for the first 12 in 2015 - with protected status for them and Les Cats. We should however be looking to grow the 12 to 16 over say 10 years by including extra French and UK clubs if/when extra revenues come in. For a start I'm sure the sky and premier sports rights will be worth more in 2016, and hopefully we'll be able to sell the rights in France

#59 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

If I had to choose between an away game at Leigh Halifax or fev as opposed to one at Toulouse it would be a no brainer
A weekend in the south of France to watch the rugby eating and drinking and carousing is one of life's pure joys
Presumably you would have the cup final played at cleckheaton for the same reason.

Why didnt you add Wigan, Widnes etc after Fev?
Why cant we have both?

#60 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Nad - See my earlier post regarding my stance as a Leigh fan. I dont think the opposition is down to the fans/clubs who despised licensing. The anti-Toulouse comments on here are from all clubs. I think your blaming of the likes of Leigh, Fev of Fax is unfair

As long as we have p&r, I'm fully behind Toulouse to get the nod for the first 12 in 2015 - with protected status for them and Les Cats. We should however be looking to grow the 12 to 16 over say 10 years by including extra French and UK clubs if/when extra revenues come in. For a start I'm sure the sky and premier sports rights will be worth more in 2016, and hopefully we'll be able to sell the rights in France

Lobby, I appreciate your views on the need to strengthen in France but there are a good many people in this game who would gladly see the back of Catalans (and London for that matter) and a return to a game played exclusively up north. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users