Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where do France go if Toulouse don't get in sl

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Lobby, I appreciate your views on the need to strengthen in France but there are a good many people in this game who would gladly see the back of Catalans (and London for that matter) and a return to a game played exclusively up north. 

I think this was my point, you can't pigeon hole people like you have.

Some who like licensing will still believe that France should look after themselves.

Some who want P&R will want French teams to be given their opportunity.

I am supportive of the recent changes, but I am not one who ever boycotted anything, or complained or campaigned about the previous system.

It is wrong to suggest that it is one group of fans against anything new.

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Clecks a lovely place ha.

I think the majority would agree with you, but alot of people don't have that much spare money to be making trips to the south of France!

I'm sure that was said when the cup final was moved to wembley... In fact the naysayers almost won.
There are people who can afford to go, they belong to a demographic that the game needs to attract.
Presumably you would abolish stands at grounds since it is more expensive to sit in them
As for cleckheaton-whoosh
But nevertheless I know it well I used to teach at whitcliffe mount
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

The people who have spent years complaining every single day about licencing, who have boycotted RFL events, who have filled the internet with garbage victimhood, who fought tooth and nail against clubs outside the heartlands, who fought Richard Lewis at every turn, who ignore evidence and logic and seem determined not to stop until they return RL to it's rightful place - a game played by part-time players at small clubs in the north of England.

Very well put and fully in agreement with your post

though I would add that it does not describe any particular individual on here (except maybe one..and  not
Lobby or Keighley)

#64 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Very well put and fully in agreement with your post

though I would add that it does not describe any particular individual on here (except maybe one..and  not
Lobby or Keighley)

True. And I did try to clarify that with the reply to Lobby's post.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#65 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

The Cheshire jet set has spoken.

Please don't take his reactionary views as representative.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#66 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Lobby, I appreciate your views on the need to strengthen in France but there are a good many people in this game who would gladly see the back of Catalans (and London for that matter) and a return to a game played exclusively up north. 

Yep, and the last one out can switch off the lights.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#67 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Lobby, I appreciate your views on the need to strengthen in France......

League Express says Toulouse will "almost certainly" be allowed in "Superlegue 2" where I suppose they can prove if they have the money and potential.....

More than fair enough....

#68 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Where does the norhern hemisphere game go if Toulouse are not admitted?  Clearly more teams from the rhubarb triangle and fewer from elsewhere is the answer.

Well, in my opinion, the best result would be to let in Toulouse and a third member of the rhubarb triangle and any other team who qualifies. The downsizing to 12 or 10, if they can get away with it, is the retrograde step.

SL should be expanding not contracting. By 2015 two of either Castleford, London, Hull KR, Salford or Bradford will be demoted and none from the likely trio of Featherstone, Halifax or Leigh will get a look in unless they can beat out one of those demoted SL clubs to win the Championship.

This is contraction and a detrimental step for the game just to prop up the greedy 12 who want a bigger slice of the sky pie and to ring fence their SL membership.

Stupid and defeatist.

#69 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

League Express says Toulouse will "almost certainly" be allowed in "Superlegue 2" where I suppose they can prove if they have the money and potential.....

More than fair enough....

Big mistake if true, we've been down this road before.

#70 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

This is contraction and a detrimental step for the game just to prop up the greedy 12 who want a bigger slice of the sky pie and to ring fence their SL membership.

But they're not though.  The 2/14s Sky money saved by going from 14 to 12 clubs will be split into parachute payments and increased SL2/Championship funding.  The remaining SL clubs get nothing extra from Sky as far as I can see from what has been released so far.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#71 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Well, in my opinion, the best result would be to let in Toulouse and a third member of the rhubarb triangle and any other team who qualifies. The downsizing to 12 or 10, if they can get away with it, is the retrograde step.

SL should be expanding not contracting. By 2015 two of either Castleford, London, Hull KR, Salford or Bradford will be demoted and none from the likely trio of Featherstone, Halifax or Leigh will get a look in unless they can beat out one of those demoted SL clubs to win the Championship.

Stupid and defeatist.

There's a proposal that the top four Superleague 2 clubs will receive £500,000 each to help them compete with SL clubs for the four places in SL each year. It's in League Express...

"The RFL are likely to allocate  £500,000 per annum to each of the top four clubs in the proposed second tier of Superleague"

So your wrong (and will no doubt be pleased to be wrong) that this is just about 12 greedy clubs. They will not get more SKY money on this "likely" move.

Effectively 16 clubs will be funded from SKY money a position we both favoured at one point albeit in a different scenario,

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Big mistake if true, we've been down this road before.

We haven't IMHO.

We have had a part time Toulouse in the Championship.

The move is likely to be a full time Toulouse with the challenge of taking on seven other clubs for four Superleague places.

If Toulouse are true to their word then they will be in a position to outspend all their rivals.

#73 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Kinda defeats the purpose and is a total waste of money, firstly saying we cant sustain 14 pro teams, cut down to 12 but then try to fund 16 teams through 2 divisions.

As for parachute payments, cant believe we are making development officers and schemes across the country redundant whilst throwing a significant amount of money at this. From what I remember parachute payments were deemed a waste of resources and unfair on other championship clubs, now where going back to it......tsk.

#74 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

There's a proposal that the top four Superleague 2 clubs will receive £500,000 each to help them compete with SL clubs for the four places in SL each year. It's in League Express...

"The RFL are likely to allocate  £500,000 per annum to each of the top four clubs in the proposed second tier of Superleague"

So your wrong (and will no doubt be pleased to be wrong) that this is just about 12 greedy clubs. They will not get more SKY money on this "likely" move.

Effectively 16 clubs will be funded from SKY money a position we both favoured at one point albeit in a different scenario,

I'll believe it when it happens. When some poor team from the twelve is relegated, say Bradford, and have to lose their SL money and exist on the 500,000 parachute payment, the screaming will be heard on Mars.

#75 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

We haven't IMHO.

We have had a part time Toulouse in the Championship.

The move is likely to be a full time Toulouse with the challenge of taking on seven other clubs for four Superleague places.

If Toulouse are true to their word then they will be in a position to outspend all their rivals.

Where does it say a full time Toulouse? Also french league fans as demonstrated by there foray into the championship previously are not interested in 2nd tier english league.

How are they going to develop their kids and systems in a double jeopardy scenario?

#76 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

I hope they would get French derbies in tv deal if in superleague 2.

#77 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Where does it say a full time Toulouse?

Toulouse are planning to go full time and the RFL/SLE are planning to start them in SL2.

Read the RL press....

#78 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'll believe it when it happens. When some poor team from the twelve is relegated, say Bradford, and have to lose their SL money and exist on the 500,000 parachute payment, the screaming will be heard on Mars.

Christ I hate this kind of "arguing". You said it was because of greed from SL clubs, you have now been shown that is incorrect and this is your reply? Just bloody admit you were wrong.

I think Toulouse being given an opportunity in SL2 is a good idea, but I hope the previous failed effort has left them with plenty of information meaning they wont make the same mistakes. If my club are in SL2 then I would definitely look to going for a visit.

#79 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Christ I hate this kind of "arguing". You said it was because of greed from SL clubs, you have now been shown that is incorrect and this is your reply? Just bloody admit you were wrong.

I think Toulouse being given an opportunity in SL2 is a good idea, but I hope the previous failed effort has left them with plenty of information meaning they wont make the same mistakes. If my club are in SL2 then I would definitely look to going for a visit.

You mention here the 'the earlier failed efforts' but to me this was because a semi pro comp with a salary cap of I think £300,000 was imposed. This meant that Toulouse just couldn't attract the best players in France not already signed at Catalans. It was doomed from the start or nearly. They still managed wins at Widnes & Featherstone early doors. They where sold a pup! The side that Justin Morgan took to the CC semis in 2005 would have more than coped for me.

Difficult to imagine Bein Sport coughing up big money to show SL2 if this is how it turns out. How would the City authorities look now at developing the stadium? May be they'll do it incrementally. By the time they finished their third & last Championship campaign they were a sorry state from what I remember. But any full time set up will take the French game forward to where it is today & improve the national side. May be open the door in time too for Avignon & others.

Edited by audois, 15 July 2013 - 02:29 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#80 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

The RFL almost certainly will bring in their favoured 2 x 12, 3 x 8 scenario & a full time Toulouse for the first few years if put in SL1 will find itself in the 2nd group of 8. If you put them in SL2 then they will find themselves in the 2nd group of 8. No difference in the outcome! Eventually,hopefully, they'll be in the top 8 along with their 'local' rivals.

Where they are put isnt as big a deal as some make out. Wherever they are put I welcome them with open arms. If we want our game to flourish at any future point we need to expand, if we dont then we dont (there, that sums up a good several thousand posts on here by various folk in one sentence!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users