Season 1992-93 restructuring

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

im sure there fans kicked up a stink, but at tge time the likes of chorley were shipping 50 plus points per game and had a very small fan base

Sounds like the London broncos.

#22 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Blackpool and Chorley did re-emerge at different times. I recall Lancashire Lynx playing out of Preston (with a young Jason Dimitriou) and If I recall, there was a competition with the French in about 1997 that Lancashire Lynx got to the final of. They may even have won. However they eventually headed back to Chorley and the eventual loss of the club was the result.

Blackpool came back 10 years or so ago, only to fail again.

Edit: I was thinking about other clubs like Carlisle and Bramley who lost their status at the time, as well as South Wales who managed 2 seasons?

It was therefore more than 3 teams that we lost.

And the Scarborough pirates.

#23 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Barrow only avoided going out of the league in 1993 by having a better points difference than Chorley. Highfield brought a few players in late on and managed to finish above Barrow.

Blackpool and Chorley did re-emerge at different times. I recall Lancashire Lynx playing out of Preston (with a young Jason Dimitriou) and If I recall, there was a competition with the French in about 1997 that Lancashire Lynx got to the final of. They may even have won. However they eventually headed back to Chorley and the eventual loss of the club was the result.

Blackpool came back 10 years or so ago, only to fail again.

Edit: I was thinking about other clubs like Carlisle and Bramley who lost their status at the time, as well as South Wales who managed 2 seasons?

It was therefore more than 3 teams that we lost.

Chorley made a decent fist of life in the NCL as I remember, and were voted back into the league in time for the last winter season in 95/96, and became the Chorley Chieftans.

Blackpool Gladiators and Nottingham went down into the NCL and sunk. I think they both appeared in the Cup (or maybe Regal Trophy) in 1993/4 and were both beaten by over 100 points. The Blackpool team that appeared in 2005 was yet anther reincarnation of the Chorley side which played its last game in 2004.

South Wales only played 1 season in the Second Division in 1996. They applied for SL but were knocked back, but offered a place in what was the First Division for 1997 but knocked it back.

#24 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

I was only watching RL on TV back in 1992/93. Did anyone make a fuss about those three clubs? 

There was some fuss from the RL Supporters Association about it being the end of the expansion dream or similar.  I remember a petition going round.

Looking back, they were basically wrong about that.

That's me.  I'm done.

#25 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Blackpool Gladiators and Nottingham went down into the NCL and sunk. I think they both appeared in the Cup (or maybe Regal Trophy) in 1993/4 and were both beaten by over 100 points.

Blackpool lost 142-4 to Huddersfield and Nottingham lost 138-0 to Barrow on the same weekend.

That's me.  I'm done.

#26 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I do like that we can breeze over the fact that we just wiped three teams out.

I think it gets breezed over because they didn't really have any following.  I recall all three clubs being pretty itinerant. Weren't Nottingham playing under the name Mansfield for a while?  And TBH I've never been able to work out which club was which from Blackpool/Trafford/Chorley/Highfield.

That's me.  I'm done.

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,232 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Weren't Mansfield marksman owned by nosey parker?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#28 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Weren't Mansfield marksman owned by nosey parker?

Not sure he owned them but he was certainly involved, as he mentions at least once a month in his newspaper article. Seem to recall Nottingham ended up being run by a mother and son team, IIRC?

#29 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

There was some fuss from the RL Supporters Association about it being the end of the expansion dream or similar.  I remember a petition going round.

Looking back, they were basically wrong about that.

Didn't they hold a protest at the last game between Nottingham and Highfield? The crowd was way up on Nottingham's average but was still only about 700 - 800.

#30 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

700-800 not a bad crowd for champ 1 these days.Ho how things have gone down hill for all but 14 clubs.

#31 Reacher J

Reacher J
  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

That was a golden era for RL - RU was still amateur and riven with internal politics, the best RU players were turning pro in their droves, especially the Welsh and fans could look forward the GB side beating Australia with some confidence. The nettle wasn't grasped though and the opportunity missed. 

#32 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

700-800 not a bad crowd for champ 1 these days.Ho how things have gone down hill for all but 14 clubs.

As I said though, it was a crowd boosted by a supposed day of protest at 3 clubs being kicked out of the league. Their average that year was about 200 or 300. According to this link the crowd that day was 851:-

http://www.independe...ld-1454889.html

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,232 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Not sure he owned them but he was certainly involved, as he mentions at least once a month in his newspaper article. Seem to recall Nottingham ended up being run by a mother and son team, IIRC?

Newspaper article ? Is that what they call it?
Thanks for the info mate
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,382 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think it gets breezed over because they didn't really have any following.  I recall all three clubs being pretty itinerant. Weren't Nottingham playing under the name Mansfield for a while?  And TBH I've never been able to work out which club was which from Blackpool/Trafford/Chorley/Highfield.

Nottingham were Mansfield Marksmen when I started watching RL.  Blackpool ended life as Chorley and the other Blackpool wasn't them.  Highfield were Highfield until they weren't.

I had a fair amount of sympathy as I was watching Carlisle at the time.  We had no supporters either, and bog all support from the rest of the RL family towards the end.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#35 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Batley vs doncaster 94 over 8.000 there for p n r game

#36 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

That was a golden era for RL - RU was still amateur and riven with internal politics, the best RU players were turning pro in their droves, especially the Welsh and fans could look forward the GB side beating Australia with some confidence. The nettle wasn't grasped though and the opportunity missed. 

We were never confident that GB would beat the Aussies over a test series.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

Batley vs doncaster 94 over 8.000 there for p n r game

4,500 made up of Batley fans, travelling Donny support in numbers and a lot of general RL fans like me out to see habitual losers finally make the grade. Great occasion with Rocky Turner scoring the winner. Batley averaged 1227 that season and Donny 1648.

Glen Tomlinson the legend scored for Batley, and Paul and Joan Tomlinson ran Nottingham City coached by the dad of Sam, George and Luke.

#38 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Paul and Joan Tomlinson ran Nottingham City coached by the dad of Sam, George and Luke.

Dave Sampson coached them for a couple of months at the start of that 92/3 season, giving them their only win of the season. Mark Burgess was player coach before and after Sampson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users