Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Barrow v Leigh

commentry

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Agree totally ritchie. It would have been very unjust if we had not got a bonus point. No side can defend against the number of penalties against Raiders. As far as I am concerned Leigh were holding down in the tackle and running offside for most of the game.

Posted Image

#22 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Great performance ruined by a ref that doesn't deserve to be a ref after that game! Feel for the lads after the effort they put in today! Best team lost IMO and I think holtys done a good job turning the team around since the fev game, out of the relegation zone and a very winnable game next week which we should win, think we missed cammy at half back today!

#23 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

cammy was at half back today mate ?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#24 Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I was just going to post that it was a good job Cammy was at half back to snap up that interception - wasted at Full Back.

I have a horrible feeling that the penalty count might be fairly equal but Gareth gave us a couple of easy ones early on and then one or two near the end when the game was won.. In that crucial third quarter when the match was won and lost it was one way traffic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

What was the final score?

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#26 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Leigh won mate, 34-24. But Barrow were so unlucky, they were brilliant, even though they conceded 34 points.

#27 walneyite

walneyite
  • Coach
  • 743 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Barrow 22 - 34 Leigh
A negative mind will never give a positive life....... ;-)

#28 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Great performance ruined by a ref that doesn't deserve to be a ref after that game! Feel for the lads after the effort they put in today! Best team lost IMO and I think holtys done a good job turning the team around since the fev game, out of the relegation zone and a very winnable game next week which we should win, think we've missed having cammy at half back!

#29 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

cammy was at half back today mate ?

I've corrected it now haha

#30 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Looking forward to seeing our new centre next week, I think it shook a few of our outside backs into better performances today, someone's going to miss out though because we haven't brought him in to sit in the stands wonder who it's going to be?

Posted Image

#31 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Agree totally ritchie. It would have been very unjust if we had not got a bonus point. No side can defend against the number of penalties against Raiders. As far as I am concerned Leigh were holding down in the tackle and running offside for most of the game.

Posted Image

#32 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

For some reason my message went in 5 times. Sorry.

Posted Image

#33 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Looking forward to seeing our new centre next week, I think it shook a few of our outside backs into better performances today, someone's going to miss out though because we haven't brought him in to sit in the stands wonder who it's going to be?

Posted Image

#34 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Posted Image

#35 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Not another double post, admin guys I think there's a fault on the forum, you press post nothing happens so you press post again and the message appears again, a lot of members seen to be having the same problem!!!!!!!!  :angry:

Edited by richie keay, 14 July 2013 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image

#36 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Not another double post, admin guys I think there's a fault on the forum, you press post nothing happens so you press post again and the message appears again, a lot of members seen to be having the same problem!!!!!!!! :angry:

Posted Image

#37 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

I refuse to blame the ref,we conceded many tries through the middle with bad defence,simple as that!
Happy with a bonus point in the end but cannot help feeling we could have had more if our defence was a little better up the middle?

Some people have this fixation with Hewer being from Haven,just get on with it!

Fire away!

#38 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

I Love Hewer...I think he's the best ref out there...Hewer for Super league I say..  :giveheart:  :airkiss:  :airkiss:  :giverose:

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

I refuse to blame the ref,we conceded many tries through the middle with bad defence,simple as that!
Happy with a bonus point in the end but cannot help feeling we could have had more if our defence was a little better up the middle?

Fire away!

I'm not one to ref bash usually, the last time Hewer reffed us against Fev he had nothing to do with us having 60 points put past us. But this time the Ref was the main reason we lost today. Hewer isn't a bad a ref as Barrow fans make out. Half the abuse he gets is unwarranted. Even when he gets it right he gets abuse hurled at him. 

We were probably shading Leigh in the first half in the forwards. I felt Holts bizarre decision to take Brennan off and play Jones at prop (that was a bonkers decision, Brennan was our best player on the pitch IMO in the latter parts of the first half) probably evened things up in the forwards as you could tell we were a prop light.

In a 15ish minute spell Hewer awarded Leigh 6 penalties, missed around 3 forward passes by Leigh and they had near 10 sets without us touching the ball. The only thing we could of done about that was when Backhouse dropped the ball. The penalties were for literally nothing, in the first half Leigh were lying on for far to long and he didn't blow. I do not mind a slow ruck as long as long as the referee is consistent which he wasn't, he just decided to start blowing his whistle for things which were happening in the first half constantly.

Any side in this competition who doesn't get the ball for 10 plays and has a referee penalising only one side is going to concede tries, especially in this heat.

I hate ref bashing, none of our defeats this season have had anything to do with the referee this season. But this game was an exception I'm afraid, Hewer was the blatant difference between the sides.

#40 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Fire away!

You must of been watching a different game today then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users