Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Barrow v Leigh

commentry

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 southsider

southsider
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

I'm not one to ref bash usually, the last time Hewer reffed us against Fev he had nothing to do with us having 60 points put past us. But this time the Ref was the main reason we lost today. Hewer isn't a bad a ref as Barrow fans make out. Half the abuse he gets is unwarranted. Even when he gets it right he gets abuse hurled at him. 

We were probably shading Leigh in the first half in the forwards. I felt Holts bizarre decision to take Brennan off and play Jones at prop (that was a bonkers decision, Brennan was our best player on the pitch IMO in the latter parts of the first half) probably evened things up in the forwards as you could tell we were a prop light.

In a 15ish minute spell Hewer awarded Leigh 6 penalties, missed around 3 forward passes by Leigh and they had near 10 sets without us touching the ball. The only thing we could of done about that was when Backhouse dropped the ball. The penalties were for literally nothing, in the first half Leigh were lying on for far to long and he didn't blow. I do not mind a slow ruck as long as long as the referee is consistent which he wasn't, he just decided to start blowing his whistle for things which were happening in the first half constantly.

Any side in this competition who doesn't get the ball for 10 plays and has a referee penalising only one side is going to concede tries, especially in this heat.

I hate ref bashing, none of our defeats this season have had anything to do with the referee this season. But this game was an exception I'm afraid, Hewer was the blatant difference between the sides.

here here, i have often said that Hewer wasnt as bad as he was made out to be, but today he proved me wrong. In the second half he was determined that Barrow were not going to win this game. He penalised us within one minute of the restart, then when Leigh were pressing our line, he gave penalty after penalty against us, (5 I think ) untill we conceded a try. He has proved to me today that he is obviously biased against Barrow.

Edited by southsider, 14 July 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#42 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hewer contributed to but didn't cause the defeat today ... Leigh were the better side with the ball in hand but I thought for the most part our defence was in the main superb...you cannot expect a top side like Leigh to have as much possession as they did in the 2nd half and not chalk up some points...it is inevitable. Against Featherstone our defence crumbled but today as I said before it was, in the main outstanding.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#43 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

I might be repeating myself here as what I have written has just disappeared, but nevertheless I will try again.
I hate to critisize referees but today Mr Hewer certainly seemed to be favouring Leigh. Twice Parker led with his elbow but he wasn't pinged for it. Have we ever won the penalty count when he officiates?

I like many others on here have been thinking that perhaps Harrison should go back to the centres. He is such a " Go to Player" that he seems to be being marked out of the game. However, twice today he found himself in the clear and its obvious that he no longer has the pace he once had.. Tempis Fugit.

I noticed Matt Gardner didn't play or Leigh today. Is he injured or out of favour?
With brother Adie not quite being flavour of the month at Saints they would make a cracking loan duo.
I suspect that Adie still sees himself as a winger but with his size and power he would make a great loose forward for us.
Get them back to Barrow.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#44 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

First half barrows kicking game was spot on where as in the second half leighs kick pressure was excellent but it was bound to be when u have a ref and touch judges that don't even look for the offside.barrow seemed to not know what to do after half time 2 sets in there half which ended with a player dying with the ball .ref was dissapointing but the team that played the first half so well never looked like the same team in the second half plenty of effort but Casey never took us round the park like he did in the 1st half Leigh never once had to bend there backs to pick the ball up and caught everything on the full .

#45 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

As has already been said no team can avoid giving away a try with so many successive penalties. I think without the penalty count in the 3rd quarter Barrow would have won.

Darren certainly slated Hewer on RC. I think he was fully justified.

Posted Image

#46 red box

red box
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I didn't think Hewer did a brilliant job. Leigh got the rub of the green when they were dominent in the tackle. They had a centre who was offside most of the game but there again so were some Barrow players. Some of the howls for forward passes from the Popular Side in the Lewthwaite Suite corner were right in front of me and at worse they were flat. We were guilty of giving away cheap amateurish penalities and the fact that Leigh might have got away with some doesn't make that situation defendable.

Blaming the referee might make you feel better but it doesn't disguise our failings in defence at times and our total lack of any sort of co-ordinated play in the opposition 20.

After every match we are beaten in , and indeed some we win, there are moans about the ref being bias and the penalty count being against us whoever the ref is. There is a pattern there and I don't believe it is because all the officials have it in for us.

Huge top marks for exertion and sticking it out until the end. You cannot but applaud the effort that the guys put in.

#47 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Huge top marks for exertion and sticking it out until the end. You cannot but applaud the effort that the guys put in.

I. Second that !

#48 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

people say leigh are a good side, sorry but I don't think so. barrow have to wise up. we are guilty of being too honest against some teams with fair play. leigh slowed our play the ball right down with lying on and got away with it. putting 3 players on top of a guy takes a lot of energy to shove off. we tackle with one man on many tackles and jump off the guy to let him play the ball. I know there are rules to the game but unless its a tv game refs just let teams get away with it. same with on side and forward passes if you get away with it  sometimes it pays off. yesterday we got penalties against us for silly reasons which on any other day would have been called a whistle happy ref but only one team was getting the decisions and trying to balance up the penalty count when the game was already lost was a poor show by hewer imo.

#49 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

What was the penalty count in the first half ?

Players win games not refs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users