George Zimmerman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

A guy(zimmerman) who was a private security guard of a gated community in Florida was found not guilty today of killing a black youth with a gun, who he suspected of being "up to no good." He followed the youth and confronted him, a scuffle broke out and the youth then got the upper hand in which Zimmerman(the guard) shot and killed him at close range. In Florida they passed a law the "stand your ground law" in which people will not be charged if they shoot and kill anybody in an act of "self defence." This to me is a stupid and dangerous law as there will be too many wannabe clint eastwoods and Charles Bronson type vigilantes looking for trouble.

#2 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I think legally you will find he is not guilty of murder due to trail by jury.

Perhaps you could start another 3 threads making that clear. 

Just like OJ Simpson was not guilty by jury. 

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

The defence seems to be that he was black and therefore innocent. He had form didn't he?
Not saying that justifies being shot but. ...

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Perhaps you could start another 3 threads making that clear. 

That was most likely a fault in the forum software at present causing multiple threads.  I deleted the two duplicates.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

He was found innocent by a jury wasn't he? how has he got away with it? what happened?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

The defence seems to be that he was black and therefore innocent. He had form didn't he?
Not saying that justifies being shot but. ...

Not at all, trayvon Martin(the victim) was visiting his dads fiancé who lived in the gated community and he was unarmed, Zimmerman(the guard) profiled him and then gave chase telling the 911 police dispatch "he was up to no good" and "looked like he was on drugs" before confronting him. The big issue for me is the "stand your ground" law which potentially allows armed citizens in florida to be judge, jury and executioner, as this case proves.

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

What it means is, in Florida I can go out with a gun, spot someone I think is up to no good, challenge them and if they threaten me, I can gun them down, even if they unarmed.

Glad I don't live there.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Not at all, trayvon Martin(the victim) was visiting his dads fiancé who lived in the gated community and he was unarmed, Zimmerman(the guard) profiled him and then gave chase telling the 911 police dispatch "he was up to no good" and "looked like he was on drugs" before confronting him. The big issue for me is the "stand your ground" law which potentially allows armed citizens in florida to be judge, jury and executioner, as this case proves.

That's a very one sided account.

Trayvon should have had a passcard to get into the gated community. You can't just enter a gated community like it was a UK housing estate, you need official permission to be there (which Trayvon didn't have).

Zimmerman did not "profile" him, he spotted him, phoned the police and the police asked him what race Martin was. CNN produced an edited version of the phone call that made it sound like Zimmerman brought up his race without being prompted. Zimmerman was not a guard but he was with the neighbourhood watch, something which has a very different meaning from a UK understanding of "neighbourhood watch". In essence he had the right to confront Trayvon to ask if he had permission to be there.

Trayvon may have had form as a burglar. He was suspended from school, was involved in a "fight club" and was discovered with a woman's jewelry and a screwdriver in his bag. He may well have been acting suspiciously. We know that Trayvon used a racist term to describe Zimmerman because Trayvon's girlfriend said he did.

All witnesses and physical evidence back Zimmerman's account that he was attacked and merely used his gun to defend his life. There was never any likelihood of a conviction. The case was only brought to avoid a "Rodney King" scenario.

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

What it means is, in Florida I can go out with a gun, spot someone I think is up to no good, challenge them and if they threaten me, I can gun them down, even if they unarmed.

Glad I don't live there.

No.

But if you had the right to challenge them and had been beaten up, you could use the gun to protect your life.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

No, that wasn't the full story at all. 

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

No, that wasn't the full story at all.

What was it then?

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

What was it then?

Whatever Zimmerman said it was

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

What was it then?

Pick a side and believe them. Unless you were there, you simply don't know. 

But, and I don't want this to sound funny, I aren't going to believe Martin simply because he is black.

#14 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Pick a side and believe them. Unless you were there, you simply don't know. 

But, and I don't want this to sound funny, I aren't going to believe Martin simply because he is black.

Hard to know what to believe as he's dead

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hard to know what to believe as he's dead

But fortunately we have eye witnesses, an autopsy, phone records, doctor's report and sound recordings.

#16 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

There were obvious issues with this case but the important thing for me was that the prosecution had to prove 'beyond reasonable doubt,' and there was obvious doubt.

I don't know if anybody caught the Murder Trial on Channel 4 this week. Whilst an obviously shady character, I was surprised that the person in question was found guilty as it was another 'beyond reasonable doubt' case. He was known not to have taken his wife and the only link was a testimony of an incredibly dodgy witness. I found it hard to believe that they didn't know previous details of the case, especially his previous convictions.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

There were obvious issues with this case but the important thing for me was that the prosecution had to prove 'beyond reasonable doubt,' and there was obvious doubt.

More than that there a doctor's report that cited Zimmerman's broken nose, lacerated head etc. Trayvon was uninjured (aside from obvious bullet wound) but had bruising to his knuckles. Witnesses reported seeing one man on top of the other. Cops reported grass stains on Zimmerman's back. There is a 911 call made by a witness that has prolonged, loud screaming in the background etc etc.

Every single piece of evidence pointed to self-defence. 

Edited by Northern Sol, 14 July 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Also, please remember the libel laws of this country.  He was found not guilty by a court of law, that adds a massive burden of proof to anyone who says he's guilty or got away with murder.  Please remember that when you post on this thread.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#19 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Also, please remember the libel laws of this country.  He was found not guilty by a court of law, that adds a massive burden of proof to anyone who says he's guilty or got away with murder.  Please remember that when you post on this thread.

True enough, and I've certainly suggested neither. A society that needs private citizens to be wandering around with guns is what I have a problem with. Still, I don't live there and don't want to. I wouldn't particularly want to live Zimmerman's life now either - his family has already said he fears for his life, which is obviously unacceptable.

What I really don't understand is why he ignored the police warnings to stay in his car and let them deal with it.

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Obama said 'if I had a son, he would look like Trayvan' (sp?)

What the flip was that all about? With such comments wasn't the pressure on to find him guilty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users